!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 427952 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #4860 on: July 13, 2018, 06:50:12 pm »
I’m pleased that you have returned to the Chef’s competition Chris.
Looking forward to more.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4861 on: July 13, 2018, 06:53:14 pm »
I'm about to order my static grass applicator plus grasses and need advice, please. Unfortunately, the special glues cannot be posted from the U.K. I'm wondering if dilute PVA glue will work (it works for scatter.) I'm also thinking that 1mm and 2mm long grass will be kept long enough in 2mm scale. Should I order packs in 30g or 100g? Spring, Summer, and dead grass would seem to be enough for early summer. I understand I need an applicator: the Peco / WWS Pro Static Grass Precision Applicator seems to be fine for the relatively small areas on the layout. Do I need a 'puffer' bottle, too? I may be able to buy something suitable in a local plastic hardware shop, in Prague? I'm looking at about GBP100 already! I'm only thinking of using static grass along the front side of the layout as scatter looks fine further back.
For your layout, the 30g bags should be fine. 1 and 2 mm grass is fine but you may want to think of some 4mm if you want some longer bits as eg background.
I haven’t got a puffer bottle. I just use the applicator plus the base and layering glue.
I’ll let someone else advise if PVA is ok.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #4862 on: July 13, 2018, 07:20:52 pm »
Martin, do you have some suitable Cornish surnames for the Wadebridge police sergeant and constable, please?
I’d go for Williams (plenty of those around) and what about Tregelles for a more unusual but very Cornish name?

Many thanks, Martin.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4863 on: July 13, 2018, 07:43:48 pm »
I'm about to order my static grass applicator plus grasses and need advice, please. Unfortunately, the special glues cannot be posted from the U.K. I'm wondering if dilute PVA glue will work (it works for scatter.) I'm also thinking that 1mm and 2mm long grass will be kept long enough in 2mm scale. Should I order packs in 30g or 100g? Spring, Summer, and dead grass would seem to be enough for early summer. I understand I need an applicator: the Peco / WWS Pro Static Grass Precision Applicator seems to be fine for the relatively small areas on the layout. Do I need a 'puffer' bottle, too? I may be able to buy something suitable in a local plastic hardware shop, in Prague? I'm looking at about GBP100 already! I'm only thinking of using static grass along the front side of the layout as scatter looks fine further back.
For your layout, the 30g bags should be fine. 1 and 2 mm grass is fine but you may want to think of some 4mm if you want some longer bits as eg background.
I haven’t got a puffer bottle. I just use the applicator plus the base and layering glue.
I’ll let someone else advise if PVA is ok.

Thanks a lot, Martin. I have taken out the 100g bags and added some 4mm Spring and Summer to the 1mm and 2mm, plus 1mm and 2mm dead grass. All 30g bags. If necessary, I can spray paint some matt black for burnt grass.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #4864 on: July 13, 2018, 09:00:47 pm »
I've used PVA glue on a test piece, the fast setting variety, and it stuck everything OK. I used Woodlands Scenic grass from a puffer bottle and wasn't too impressed with it. I've made a static applicator from a tea strainer and fly swat but I have yet to try it. A random mix of colours is best I think. Beyond that I shall wait for your results with anticipation!
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4865 on: July 13, 2018, 09:15:34 pm »
Sergeant Tregelles was happily dreaming of fishing for wild brown trout in the River Camel when the telephone started ringing loudly. Glancing at the clock on the opposite wall, he saw it was one in the morning. Sighing, he raised his rotund body and picked up the receiver.

“Wadebridge Police Station, Duty Sergeant Tregelles speaking. What’s that, a fallen star over Trevelver Castle? Who’s that speaking? Oh, it’s you, Fireman Stephens, I was talking to your father just the other night at the . . . Something happening up at Trevelver Castle? My dear boy, there is always SOMETHING ‘appening up at the Castle! No sign of the motor coaches with your passengers? There’s some big ‘do’ up there tonight, I expect they’re runnin’ a little late, that’s all. No-one answerin’ the phone? They’ll all be busy, I be expectin’. That Hughie Green’s up there you know. You didn’t? You’re waitin’ with your train? Won’t be much longer I’m expectin’. Yes, yes, the overtime will come in handy for your weddin’. How is your lovely young Mary? Good, good. The bright light’s still bright? Well, I’ll send our constable up in our car to have a look. Meantime I’ll ask the boys up at RAF St Mawgan if they can shed any light! Just a little joke. Yes, certainly, I’ll call you back on this number if I hear anything. Good night or should that be good morning. Just another little joke. Nice speakin’ with you!”

Replacing the receiver, Tregelles called out: “Williams, wake up! Take the car down the Penmayne road to Cant Cove and then up to the Castle and sharpish.”

“Yes, sergeant. What’s it about?” called Williams from the cell.

“Fireman Stephens, has called from Wadebridge yard to report seeing a very bright white light over Trevelver Castle and the passengers for his special train to Trepol Bay, Port Perran an’ Truro have still not arrived. Now, get along here!”

“Has he tried callin’ the Castle?” responded the young policeman as he sat opposite the counter hurriedly putting on his boots.

“Yes, of course he has. He’s a bright lad, Stephens.”

“Not got any reply, then?” asked the constable buttoning up his jacket.

“What do you think? Here take the car keys and drive carefully will you, not that there should be anyone about this time of the mornin’.”

As the constable prepared to unlock the station front door, his sergeant called, “those Poldory brothers have been reported to be stayin’ at the “Tramway Inn’, Cant Cove. Up to no good, as usual. Drive past slowly and check that there’s not somethin’ illegal goin’ on, there. They’ll know that everyone’s up at the Castle and might be . . . “

“Yes, I’ll do that, Sergeant!” replied the constable as he locked the front door behind him.

‘Keen as mustard, that lad. I can remember when I was the same. Probably, a celebratory firework display over the Castle. Lady P. does like a good firework display. No need to trouble the RAF’, he decided. With a deep sigh, the policeman settled back into his armchair and, thinking of a nice big brown trout on his line, quickly went back to contented sleep.

Still unable to sleep, Fireman Stephens opened the local telephone directory and found RAF St Mawgan. Dialling he asked for the duty officer.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 06:30:49 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4866 on: July 13, 2018, 09:25:05 pm »
I've used PVA glue on a test piece, the fast setting variety, and it stuck everything OK. I used Woodlands Scenic grass from a puffer bottle and wasn't too impressed with it. I've made a static applicator from a tea strainer and fly swat but I have yet to try it. A random mix of colours is best I think. Beyond that I shall wait for your results with anticipation!

Thanks a lot, Brian. Hmm, so that'll be more money on static grasses, then, for a mix of colours.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #4867 on: July 13, 2018, 09:42:25 pm »
I have only ever used PVA for scatter and static grasses, usually diluted a bit, (the PVA not the grass  :)).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4868 on: July 14, 2018, 08:03:39 am »
I have only ever used PVA for scatter and static grasses, usually diluted a bit, (the PVA not the grass  :)).

Thanks, Danny. I won't worry about buying any special glue, then, just a mix of 1, 2, and 4mm long static grass in spring and a summer green plus very small amounts of autumn and dead grass.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4869 on: July 14, 2018, 09:26:10 am »
Many thanks to all, especially Roger (also on Tregonning where Martin has used static grass very realistically) of the masterpiece, Wrenton, for your very valuable advice.

This morning, the following order went off to Hattons:

Items in Order
Manufacturer   Code   Item   Scale   Quantity   Unit Price   Total
Graham Farish   374-161A-PO   BR MK1 FK First Corridor Maroon - Pre-owned - Like new   N Gauge   1   £20   £20
Javis Scenics   JHG1   Static grass bag - Spring Mix - 2mm   Any or Multiple Scales   1   £1.80   £1.80
Javis Scenics   JHG3   Static grass bag - Autumn Mix - 2mm   Any or Multiple Scales   1   £1.80   £1.80
Peco Products   PSG-101   Spring grass, static grass 1mm - 30g bag   OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)   1   £3.50   £3.50
Peco Products   PSG-102   Summer grass, static grass 1mm - 30g bag   OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)   1   £3.50   £3.50
Peco Products   PSG-106   Dead Grass grass, static grass 1mm - 30g bag   OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)   1   £3.50   £3.50
Peco Products   PSG-206   Dead grass, static grass 2mm - 30g bag   Any or Multiple Scales   1   £3.50   £3.50
Peco Products   PSG-3   Pro Static Grass Precision Applicator   Any or Multiple Scales   1   £49   £49
Peco Products   PSG-401   Spring grass, static grass 4mm - 20g bag   Any or Multiple Scales   1   £2.90   £2.90
Peco Products   PSG-402   Summer grass, static grass 4mm - 20g bag   Any or Multiple Scales   1   £2.90   £2.90
    Goods Total (Exc Vat)   £77
    Vat       £15.40
    Carriage       £8
VAT will be deducted from Overseas (Non-EC) orders.   Total: £100.40

Note the very reasonable postage for all this to Prague.

I'm not sure why some of the Peco static grass states OO when it's 1mm?

I may spare some 1mm static grass areas matt black to represent where the track workers have had a controlled fire. (As used to be the case into the 1960s.)

If I finish the front embankment along the cliffside I'll be happy. It should also further improve photos. of trains. (A major consideration.)

The Graham Farish 374-161A-PO BR MK1 FK First Corridor Maroon - Pre-owned, is to make up a pair of LMR ones for special trains. (The Association for the Promotion of Cornwall's Railways is very keen to promote upmarket tourism plus, for overnight journeys, a 1st Class compartment is far more comfortable.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:07:44 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4870 on: July 14, 2018, 11:36:13 am »
I have long been unhappy with using the Peco Loco. Inspection Pits (I have two as I mislaid the first) because they are not deep enough and I couldn't see how to easily adapt them to have sidelit walls (as is the long-standing plan). However, I think I have, finally, found a solution (a 'little person' can stand upright in these pits below track level):

AUH44645   BNIB N GAUGE AUHAGEN 44645 ENGINE SHED INSPECTION PIT - DEPOT PIT etc., PACK OF 2, £11.40, plus P&P from the excellent KJB Models which leaves me with spare Peco ones.

The Auhagen ones can be seen here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNIB-N-GAUGE-AUHAGEN-44645-ENGINE-SHED-INSPECTION-PIT-DEPOT-PIT-etc-PACK-OF-2/382486927371?

NB I bought them direct from KJB Models website.

By cutting away the pit sidewalls between the steps, I think I can substitute a plasticard 'sandwich' of painted grey sidewalls with oblongs cut out and clear plasticard and mount strip LEDs behind.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:45:47 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #4871 on: July 15, 2018, 12:19:43 am »
 :hellosign: Many thanks Chris for the continuing story.
    Hope all goes to plan with the inspection pits & the grass application
           regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4872 on: July 15, 2018, 12:54:01 pm »
:hellosign: Many thanks Chris for the continuing story.
    Hope all goes to plan with the inspection pits & the grass application
           regards Derek.

Thanks, Derek. I've thought more how to adapt the Auhagen inspection pits to enable them to be sidelit and think I have a quite simple solution. Once they arrive I can get on with completing the loco. shed area. I think I'll dig out the pit area, though, this week then build up the base area under the hoist to the correct level with scrap cardboard pieces.

I'm looking forward to the static grass parcel arriving and getting to work.

I'm summarising some tips (source below) for my benefit, at least:

" Top Tips For Laying Static Grass

PVA, aka white glue, is the best glue to fix static grass in place and adding a little water seems to help the grass stand upright when using an electric applicator. Mixes of 70/30 or 50/50 water to PVA seemed to produce the best results in my experiments.

Blend and mix static grass colours and lengths to get the most realistic look. Obviously, the exact look you want will be based on personal preference but I find 10 percent medium to 90 percent short fibres works well on N scale layouts.

Prepare the baseboard first, painting the area and even adding a fine scatter material [I've already done all that] before using static grass significantly improves the finished look. As with blending different grasses, the undercoat colour depends on your desired look but brown and greens work best for me [yes].

Static grass can be a real pain if it gets into points and track, so mask-off track when applying it trackside. [Important tip for me to remember.]

Apply a light dusting of hairspray to your static grass once finished. This will work with the PVA to hold it in place and upright. [I haven't heard of doing that, before.]

https://modelrailwayengineer.com/best-static-grass-applicator-plus-top-tips-apply-static-grass/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:08:22 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4873 on: July 15, 2018, 12:56:58 pm »
I’d add another step Chris and that is simply to practise on a piece of wood first.
And don’t forget to use a screw near to where you are applying the grass to attach to your applicator.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4874 on: July 15, 2018, 01:10:03 pm »
I’d add another step Chris and that is simply to practise on a piece of wood first.
And don’t forget to use a screw near to where you are applying the grass to attach to your applicator.

Thanks, Martin. Using a screw is a very important additional tip. I need to find a very small one that won't make too big a hole in the expanded polystyrene.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything