!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 395929 times)

Train Waiting and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #4845 on: July 09, 2018, 11:11:36 pm »
 :hellosign: Catching up on all your superb photos, stories & info on decals etc, (on holiday in Spain, 30+ all week), many thanks
      regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #4846 on: July 10, 2018, 07:45:38 am »
Been tracking back through your thread, so a few belated comments!  the Z class looks superb and a lovely bit of modelling. 

The depot hoist looks a serious bit kit too, looking forward to seeing that bedded in at Cant Cove

You have got me thinking about photo bucket as I am starting to get near to my limit on the photo's I have on the forum (again!)  Is it straightforward to link the photos into your thread?

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #4847 on: July 11, 2018, 02:30:23 pm »
Thanks, Derek and Andrew. Glad you liked the posts and the photos.

Yes, the Z Class is a lovely model and I'm extremely grateful to all those who contributed to building it with advice, pictures, articles and their handiwork. Tony made a superb job of constructing 30956.

I intend to work on 'bedding in' the hoist and digging out the loco. shed pit, in the next weeks. I have to tidy up, first, before I have room to construct the sunken base for the shed which will include the side-lit inspection pit. Then I can fit the roof lighting, interior roof spars and assemble the actual loco. shed. (Built and painted years ago.) Then the final wiring up can be done. After that, it'll be a simple landscaping job with scatter, fine sand, tiny bushes, flowerbeds, and detail painting around the shed. After that, I need to finish the water tower and build the coaling stage. I'm still missing a ground-mounted LSWR pattern water crane, though. If I finish the whole loco. shed and area, this summer, I'll be very pleased.

The relaunched Photobucket is well worth the modest subscription and posting the picture links is a simple cut-and-paste job.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:31:37 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4848 on: July 11, 2018, 05:14:03 pm »
The story from this March / April, resumes.

“Well, Doctor, please, share with us your plan.”

“My dear Colonel, it’s really quite simple. As you can see, thanks the efforts of those young ladies in the Great Hall – not least my most accomplished granddaughter – the power is increasing faster than before.”

“Yes, yes; we can all see that, Doctor, but it’s still not at green.”

“Young man, I’m fully aware of that but if we, manually, recalibrate it for the Dalek ship being closer than before, we soon should have enough power to err . . . repel them! All is carefully calculated. It’s the scientific approach to take!”

The trouble with the scientific approach, mused the Colonel, was that it left you at the mercy of your scientist.

“Is the Dalek ship close enough, now, then?” asked the, normally, silent Sergeant.

“Alas, not, Sergeant; but I know how to make it come closer as soon as we are ready!”

“And how do you propose to do that, Doctor?”

“Simple, my dear Colonel. As soon as the power reaches the adjusted optimum level, I ask the TARDIS to switch off completely the ‘cloaking’ of the orichalcum, switch the released power to this equipment and ask the Lady Gaia to give us her utmost. Torchwood’s alien armament will then be ready to target the Dalek saucer. But all must be ready. Lady Gaia?”

“The Lady is ready gentlemen,” reported the Doctor, after a long pause, “but stresses that her winter sleep will be an unusually long and deep one, as a necessary consequence of providing her utmost support to our endeavour.”

“Is all well, Susan?”

‘Yes, Grandfather”, she replied, desperately hoping that it would.

“Captain Jeremy?”

“Yes, Colonel.”

“Then, ladies and gentleman,” beamed the Doctor we have but a short time to wait!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:05:04 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4849 on: July 12, 2018, 05:08:19 pm »
After staring at the alien armament’s controls – for what seemed to everyone on the Owl Tower, an eternity – finally, the Doctor was able to announce, “Ladies and Gentlemen, the power has reached the adjusted optimum level. I’ve, therefore, instructed the TARDIS to stop ‘cloaking’ the orichalcum by disrupting the saucer’s videoscope and to transfer the released power to the equipment here. The Lady Gaia is, she has just assured me, ready and waiting to play her very considerable part. Now, it is up to the Daleks to take the bait! Mmm. It shouldn’t be long now, ha!”

“Bait, Doctor? What bait? I do hope that you don’t mean . . . ” But the Colonel’s question was interrupted.

“The saucer is moving, again,” reported the sergeant, unable to hide his excitement.

“Let me see, Sergeant.”

“He’s correct, Doctor. It’s moving closer,” announced Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart handing back the digital binoculars.

“Ha! That is the weakness of the Daleks, young man. Their supreme obedience to logic makes them imminently predictable to those who know them, as Susan and I do – as you will, too, dear Colonel. Of that I am quite certain. The Dalek Commander must now act on his prime imperative: to retrieve the orichalcum now that they know exactly where it lies and before, despite my rather forceful efforts, you humans blow up this planet all by yourselves!”

“Won’t the Daleks simply destroy us, first, Doctor, with their saucer’s fire-bombs? Or their bacteria bombs?”

“No, no, young man. Their spaceship’s rangoscopes show that the Owl Tower is sitting right above the precious orichalcum and their bacteria bombs would not act quickly enough in the short time they calculate is left to them. After the Daleks have safely retrieved the metal, that will be quite another matter, of course!”

“Sergeant; if I may Colonel?”

“Yes, yes, Doctor,” responded Lethbridge-Stewart with impatient alacrity.

“Sergeant, now study the proximity monitor, here, very carefully. When the Dalek ship represented by this red blob,” the Doctor bent down to point at the latest screen to have suddenly appeared on the alien equipment’s control area, “fully merges with this lower gold-coloured – ha! How appropriate – blob an automatic 10-second countdown will be initiated whilst the device locks precisely onto its target’s weakest spot. As soon as the countdown commences, call out, loudly and clearly so that all may hear via their earbuds.”

The sergeant looked at his commanding officer.

“Yes, take that as an order, sergeant. Do precisely as the Doctor says.”

“Captain Jeremy, can you still hear us?”

“Yes, loud and clear, Doctor. We’re ready and waiting.”

“Good, good. The dial on the display, there, is it still on yellow?”

“No, Doctor, . . . it’s just reached . . . green,” came the excited reply.

“Excellent. As soon as you hear that the countdown has commenced, firmly press the centre of the display with your thumb three times, in quick succession, to initiate the final power transfer!”

“Understood. Standing by, here.”

“Is all still well, Susan?” There was an obvious note of concern in the old man’s voice.

“Yes, Grandfather”, she replied, still desperately hoping that all would be whilst fighting back the sobs that threatened to overcome her. “Oh, dear, brave, selfless Angela”, she repeated to herself, shielding her innermost fears deep down. She’s no Time Lord, just a very young and very selfless woman sacrificing herself for her friends and the Earth she loves so much. “Dearest Angela, hear me, we’re all, Enka, Sofi, Sylvia, Eli, Belinda, Suzi, Monique, Jenny, and Amanda, with you.”

“Dear daughter,” came the gently spoken, soothing response in Susan’s troubled mind. “Your friend’s sacrifice will not be in vain, I can assure you. I am ready, all my brave daughters are ready, the harmonic unity between us now holds fast and firm . . . thanks to Angela.”

“TARDIS power transferred, the dial is at the adjusted maximum,” reported the Scots Guard sergeant. Awaiting final power transfer from the Great Hall to bring it to the absolute maximum. “The equipment shows the saucer is fast approaching.”

“Still no sign of any offensive action,” reported Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart staring fixedly through the digital binoculars.

“Good, good. Not much longer, now, Colonel, Sergeant, Lady Gaia, young ladies, Captain.”

“Getting closer and closer,” reported the sergeant, breathlessly.

“Get a grip of yourself, man,” ordered his commanding officer. “We’re all depending on you!”

‘Yes, sir. The red is merging with the gold . . . it’s now a single blob . . . it’s turning . . . red gold, just like . . . ”

“No accident, young man. This equipment’s alien designers clearly were blessed with a rather macabre sense of humour.”

“So it would seem, Doctor,” responded Lethbridge-Stewart, drily.

Back in the Great Hall, Enka sang on whilst Sofi continued to echo Enka and Susan, in the choruses. Susan was still playing on her strange translucent flute-like instrument, whilst Enka and Sofi continued to sing while playing their beautifully melodic Spanish acoustic guitars. If there had been anyone there able to concentrate on the spot-lit central stage, they would have seen how it was willpower alone that was now keeping the exhausted young women going. The effect of the special herbal tea, prepared under Lady Trevelver’s careful direction, was fading fast. The entire seated audience, along with Hughie Green and the judges on the side stage, long since joined by all the waitresses, kitchen staff, and sailors who had taken their places on other chairs about the vast darkened chamber, with every eye closed, every face a mask of intense concentration, hummed along in the same deep, powerful supporting harmony.

Far in the distance, a great ghostly white owl hooted on its nocturnal hunt, oblivious to the immense alien predator descending above.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:23:44 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #4850 on: July 12, 2018, 07:58:34 pm »
Thank you for that continuation Chris.
All very gripping stuff.......even if I am a little confused as to what is actually happening  :doh:
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4851 on: July 12, 2018, 08:38:54 pm »
Thank you, Martin. I understand. It carries on from April, which is some time ago, I know. This part of the story, about the Daleks seeking the last red-gold orichalcum in the cellar under Trevelver Castle's Owl Tower, and how its defence is undertaken by the Doctor, Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart, his Scots Guard Sergeant, Lady Gaia, Enka Lou-Lou, Susan and the "Chelsea Girls", assisted by Captain Jeremy and his Naval Detachment, using alien equipment shipped by train from Torchwood, Cardiff, to Cant Cove, then transferred to the top of the Owl Tower, will come to an end shortly and then the second major sub-plot will be dealt with before, finally, returning to the main plot, the announcement of the winning chefs, the effect on the expectant crowd in the "Tramway Inn", Cant Cove, and then tying up (but not closing) the various other sub-plots involving the many and varied prize dinner guests in Trevelver Castle's Great Hall. Whew!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:53:34 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4852 on: July 13, 2018, 07:01:16 am »
That sounds like quite a convoluted plate of spaghetti to sort out.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4853 on: July 13, 2018, 12:47:42 pm »
It is indeed, Laurence, but I have most of it sorted out in my head.

Belatedly following your advice re: pliers to remove a broken point, I have just ordered, from eBay, the nearest I could find to your description: Knipex Bent Snipe Nose Side Cutting Pliers PVC Grip 200mm (8in) KPX2621200. Total: £26.84.

I wanted a long, thin pair of pliers so that I could see the rail joiners and manoeuvre (I hope) them off before lifting the broken point. (Now, of course, I have to find my packets of spare joiners!) I do have the replacement point ready, though.

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4854 on: July 13, 2018, 12:54:25 pm »
That sounds like a very posh pair of pliers.  I've had mine for years, but I don't think they cost anything like that.  Best of luck with the replacement.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4855 on: July 13, 2018, 04:41:18 pm »
   Meanwhile, at the “Tramway Inn”, just across the Penmayne Road from “The Station Hotel”, Cant Cove, the two Poldory brothers were eager to close their ‘book’ on who would win the chefs’ contest in Trevelver Castle’s Great Hall. Their usual ‘runner’, a small boy named, Tommy Greet, was sound asleep in the red GPO public telephone box at Cant Cove station, well-wrapped in an old army blanket, and lying on the old cushion that Audrey, the barmaid, had provided him. In the back bar of the “Tramway Inn”, the lock-in continued with less and less animation as, one by one, the increasingly drunk revellers fell asleep, including the Poldory’s secret accomplice, Elijah Vernon – who had been doing a fine job selectively spreading the latest news on the contestants relayed by little Tommy – and the driver of the ‘Southern National’ ‘bus parked outside ready to take the guests and little Tommy home. However, it was now long after midnight and the landlord, puffing away at his old pipe was already sadly calculating how much extra he would have to pay the snoring driver and the ‘bus company. Still, that night's takings were very satisfactory, indeed. He could easily buy some of those new brewery sunshades for the garden.

“I need some fresh air,” exclaimed Alan Poldory’s younger brother. “It’s awful smoky in ‘ere.”

“The landlord daren’t open the windows, little brother.”

“I knows, I knows. I’m tired and want to get to my bed,” he yawned. “Just as well we stuck to slowly drinking bottles of Castle Brewery "Royal Raven Ale", which is only 4%. Otherwise, we’d be like the rest of ‘em!”

“Don’t worry; we just 'ave to wait a little while longer for the results to be announced. I still has a very good feeling about this, little brother. Why don’t eh go across an’ check on little Tommy whilst you’re outside. Make sure he’s not slept through a call from our source in the Castle.”

“That’s a good idea,” exclaimed Audrey, “I could be doin’ with a breath of fresh air myself. You’ll not be needin’ me landlord. They’re all asleep or not far off it! Come along ‘andsome”.

Creeping out the inn’s back door and around the front, the two paused by the front gate.

“Beautiful night, isn’t it, my ‘andsome,” whispered Audrey caressing her companion’s right arm whilst they turned their faces upwards.

“Good God above,” exclaimed Audrey, with a tremor, before moving as close as possible to the young man. “There, above the hills, in the direction of Trevelver Castle! Do you see that bright shining white light?”

“Beats me, Audrey. Its centre looks like a giant saucer side on and it seems to be revolvin’ around some fixed point in the sky, above the Castle.”

“It’s not moving, though . . . Oh, now it is!”

“Very slowly, Audrey. If it’s really movin’ at all?”

“We better check on little Tommy, I promised his ma, I’d make sure he was alright.”

“I don’t think he can come to much harm in a ‘phone box, Audrey!”

The barmaid, ignoring this remark, firmly grabbed her companion’s arm and, after quickly checking that the road was still empty, led them briskly over to the deserted station and the red telephone box where, to their relief, they found Tommy still curled up, fast asleep.

Rousing him gently, Audrey asked him if there had been any more ‘phone calls.

The tired, tousled-haired little boy, yawned and shook his head. “I’d ‘ave come runnin’ if there 'ad been.”

“OK, Tommy, thank you,” said the Poldory, and pressed a sixpence into the boy’s small grubby hand.

“Oh! A tanner! Thank you, Mr. Poldory.”

“Just mind you don’t sleep through any calls, eh?”

On their way back to the inn, they stopped several times to check on the strange object’s progress.

“It’s still movin’. It don’t feel right. Hold me tight,” cried Audrey, as they closed the front gate into the inn’s garden.

Her companion needed no second bidding. Their lips met . . .

In Wadebridge station yard, the driver and guard of auto-fitted Prairie tank No. 5534 (purchased for preservation, in January 1961, by the GWS at Bodmin, after official withdrawal, by BR, in September 1960 at St. Blazey, now 'on loan' to BR WR, following a Heavy General Overhaul, at Swindon Works, but still carrying its BR livery), were each asleep along one of the bench seats in the leading autocoach of the special train of Collett design autocoaches booked to take those dinner guests from Trevelver Castle who did not have accommodation there or in the fully-booked “The Station Hotel”, Cant Cove, back to Trepol Bay or Port Perran. His mate, a young fireman, could not sleep and the driver and guard’s snores were not helping. If they had been in competition it would have been difficult to judge which of them was snoring the loudest. Every hour, he had checked that loco’s fire was still nicely banked and the boiler pressure holding steady as the steam heating took the chill off the night air in the rake of empty coaches.

“Where are those bloody motor coaches from the Castle with our passengers, then?” he asked himself, checking his watch, a recent twenty-first birthday present from his fiancée. He saw that it was well past their booked departure time of midnight. Well, the overtime, paid by the Castle, via BR WR, Plymouth, would come in very handy for the wedding costs, he smiled to himself. Carefully, the young railwayman opened the far coach door and, holding onto the autocoach’s extended side rails, descended the steps to the gravel and ash surface. He had decided to head for the Yardmaster’s hut, where he knew there was a battered metal teapot and all the makins’ for a nice strong mug of ‘railway tea’. Lucky Yardmaster, up at the Castle, the fireman thought. As he opened the door lock with the key lent to them by the Yardmaster, automatically he turned and looked in the direction of the Castle. His eyes were sharp, that the BR doctor come up from Plymouth, had told him during his compulsory medical exam. before he was promoted to fireman at Bodmin General shed. “You’re blessed with perfect vision, young man. Your old driver will be relying on you to give him a second pair of eyes, far sharper than his old ones!”

At first, the young fireman could not believe his eyes. Perfect eyesight or not. It looked as though a small, very bright star was hovering over the distant hills, behind which, on the reverse slope, he knew, from cycle rides with the love of his life, Trevelver Castle stood. He moved so that he could get an interrupted view. No doubt about it. Entering the hut, he studied the local ‘phone list of important numbers neatly pinned to the faded noticeboard still headed, SOUTHERN RAILWAY, and slowly dialled.

In Wadebridge police station, Tregelles, the duty sergeant, was asleep behind the counter in his favourite battered old armchair, whilst Williams, the young duty constable was gently snoring on the neatly made bed in the first cell, its door wide open in case the sergeant had to call him.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:12:00 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4856 on: July 13, 2018, 04:47:51 pm »
That sounds like a very posh pair of pliers.  I've had mine for years, but I don't think they cost anything like that.  Best of luck with the replacement.

Thanks, Laurence, the ones you had recommended were no longer available. I wanted the best ones for the delicate job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Knipex-Bent-Snipe-Nose-Side-Cutting-Pliers-PVC-Grip-200mm-8in-KPX2621200/401544648899?

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4857 on: July 13, 2018, 04:57:20 pm »
Martin, do you have some suitable Cornish surnames for the Wadebridge police sergeant and constable, please?

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4858 on: July 13, 2018, 06:01:55 pm »
I'm about to order my static grass applicator plus grasses and need advice, please. Unfortunately, the special glues cannot be posted from the U.K. I'm wondering if dilute PVA glue will work (it works for scatter.) I'm also thinking that 1mm and 2mm long grass will be long enough in 2mm scale. Should I order packs in 30g or 100g? Spring, Summer, and dead grass would seem to be enough for early summer. I understand I need an applicator: the Peco / WWS Pro Static Grass Precision Applicator seems to be fine for the relatively small areas on the layout. Do I need a 'puffer' bottle, too? I may be able to buy something suitable in a local plastic hardware shop, in Prague? I'm looking at about GBP100 already! I'm only thinking of using static grass along the front side of the layout as scatter looks fine further back.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:20:19 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #4859 on: July 13, 2018, 06:48:49 pm »
Martin, do you have some suitable Cornish surnames for the Wadebridge police sergeant and constable, please?
I’d go for Williams (plenty of those around) and what about Tregelles for a more unusual but very Cornish name?
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here