!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 419576 times)

Chris in Prague, Train Waiting, EtchedPixels and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5040 on: August 10, 2018, 08:33:28 pm »
Looks rather good I think.
I like the SR style concrete wall with the little green gate - something I’ve done on Trepol Bay though I’m not sure if it’s ever been photographed.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #5041 on: August 11, 2018, 07:46:32 am »
Hi Chris, Mermaids are looking good. Silver blue for the tail will be perfect for me. :thumbsup:
There is no rush, I haven’t started on the varnish on the sea yet - still deciding whether I am happy with the colour!

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #5042 on: August 11, 2018, 12:09:22 pm »
Looks rather good I think.
I like the SR style concrete wall with the little green gate - something I’ve done on Trepol Bay though I’m not sure if it’s ever been photographed.

Thanks, Martin. No, I have not noticed your BR SR gate at Trepol Bay. Is it is possible to photograph it? Unfortunately, when I painted my gates, I used too thick gloss enamel paint which clogged up the detail. The gate shown was one of a pair specially cleaned up then painted with matt acrylic green but it still is not perfect if seen close-up. (Which it won't be, of course.) The SR style concrete fences are very iconic and I've always liked them. (I have a similar concrete footbridge to complete -- with an extra section to make it wide enough -- and then install on the platforms. The current Lone Star footbridge is not wide enough, in any case.) Although I have many of them, I resisted using too many of them trying to imagine where they would have been installed by the SR or BR SR. The SR management was always very economy minded.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5043 on: August 11, 2018, 12:10:13 pm »
Hi Chris, Mermaids are looking good. Silver blue for the tail will be perfect for me. :thumbsup:
There is no rush, I haven’t started on the varnish on the sea yet - still deciding whether I am happy with the colour!

Thanks, Keith. I now plan to complete the mermaids, next week as I have been painting other items.)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #5044 on: August 11, 2018, 01:13:19 pm »
Great to see the Cornish Walling, that is going to look excellent and to see scenic progress on the layout.  The mermaids is a brilliant touch  :thumbsup:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5045 on: August 11, 2018, 03:40:17 pm »
I also filled in the gaps in the waterfall, on the left-hand side, with Tamiya Filler, before painting over it. Important note, I could use the filler because the whole area had been previously painted. Filler 'eats' unprotected polystyrene! That's why a top coat of acrylic paint is so important.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5046 on: August 11, 2018, 03:52:01 pm »
Here are the open on both sides station bookstall kit parts. (I think it also came with the figure of a man with an outstretched arm but he'll be with my other grey spraypainted metal 'little people', somewhere. I can replace him with a ready-painted suitable figure.)

The metal door to the left would be ideal for a blast-proof door for a bunker. I can replace it with a more suitable plastic Dornaplas one.

The counters are the oblong pieces in the top and middle which have square moulded lines to represent newspapers. These I can paint matt white.

Here is a close-up of one.

I'm afraid I'm not able to do very close close-up photos.!

I think I'll put it all together, including filling any gaps with Tamiya Filler, the parts have already been filed) then offer it spraypainted in either dark green or dark brown and add signs, books and newspapers colour-printed and replace it with the P&D Marsh open on one side only, and smaller, one. I can also scan and print the sheet which comes with the P&D Marsh station bookstall kit (which I'll now have to buy) and use those, too.

This one is ideal for an island platform. PM me, if interested.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 04:51:05 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5047 on: August 11, 2018, 05:09:56 pm »
Now for some pictures of the various, mainly scenic items, I've been painting. (They also include the last few Peco goods stock which was bought for painting in PO goods stock liveries but which, at present, is surplus. I also have 4 Peco Standard SWB Vans plus some Peco LWB Insulated Vans not shown, here, [some LWB Insulated Vans are already spraypainted as bodies and chassis], which need to be spraypainted in grey undercoat, at least. Summer is the best time for spraypainting, whilst handpainting with brushes can be done at any time.)

Some of the duplicate wagon loads, etc. will be despatched as wagon loads for 'through' running, in due course.

I have four little boats; one is a dinghy as it has a round hole for fixing a mast with sail.

I have enough dustbins for all the buildings that there will be!

I still have to do the matt black painting plus painting the sacks and the mobile compressor (for road drills), amongst other tasks.

Also not shown are some Peco LWB vans which need the chassis swopping for ones with all the buffers; I have spare, painted chassis ready. The old chassis can have their remaining buffers removed before being cut in half and sprayed in semi-matt black ready to go under future scratchbuilt ferry vans.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:11:04 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline mika

• Awards
« Reply #5048 on: August 11, 2018, 05:11:57 pm »
That looks very busy, Chris.
Your layout is coming along nicely.
Oh, and I love the mermaid idea.

All best,
Michael

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5049 on: August 11, 2018, 05:16:00 pm »
That looks very busy, Chris.
Your layout is coming along nicely.
Oh, and I love the mermaid idea.

All best,
Michael

Many thanks, Michael. Painting the three mermaids is next on my list after finishing all the other items which will then need to be boxed up and put away, for now. I also want to finish preparing the "Cornish Hedges" ready for applying scatter and foliage. I have an idea how to create small saplings from cutting up a plastic tree then using glued on scatter.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5050 on: August 11, 2018, 06:50:00 pm »
It's more than time that I resumed the saga . . .

In the telephone box at Cant Cove station, little Tommy had not been sleeping well. Although he did not have a watch, he was sure that it was much later than his parents had been promised that he would be returned home by Alan Poldory. He woke up, cold, to find that he must have thrown off the old army blanket. He yawned and got up. He hoped that he had not slept through the ‘phone ringing but did not think so. Soundlessly, he opened the door, whose hinges had recently been oiled, and looked around. Nothing and no-one could be seen. Then he heard it. A car. Instinctively, he moved into the shadows and stared hard. It appeared from the right, moving very slowly, from the direction of the tramway bridge. But to his surprise, it was showing no lights, at all. The car stopped down the road from the “Tramway Inn”. Tommy watched as its driver slowly got out. He saw a flash of reflected light from the man’s head and recognised it as being from the badge on a policeman’s helmet. Although never having been in trouble with the police himself, the little boy knew his father’s opinion of the police.

Tommy watched from the shadows as the policeman slowly started walking towards the darkened “Tramway Inn”. What should he do? Then the policeman stopped and stared upwards at something that the little boy could not see from his hiding place. Tommy had just decided to return to the ‘phone box and call the inn when he saw the policeman turn and start walking briskly towards him. The little boy crouched as low as he could where the shadows were darkest and held his breath. The policeman turned and walked straight to the call box where, only moments before, little Tommy had been. What would he make of the discarded army blanket and the old cushion on the concrete floor? He could see the policeman dial a number, pay a coin, press a button and pick up the ‘phone but could not hear what the policeman was saying. However, Tommy could see that he was excited by something. But what?

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #5051 on: August 11, 2018, 07:00:48 pm »
Methinks somebody is more bothered about stone walls than poor little Tommy!   :(
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:01:53 pm by dannyboy, Reason: added a bit! »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5052 on: August 11, 2018, 07:14:39 pm »
That’s a lot of bits and bobs Chris, many of which I recognise really well.
And I do hope that young Tommy isn’t in trouble. We shall wait to see what happens.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5053 on: August 11, 2018, 07:43:20 pm »
Thanks, David and Martin. During my tidying up I found quite a few scenic items collected over the years, far too many for me to keep.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:54:19 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5054 on: August 11, 2018, 08:27:22 pm »
After checking that the policeman was still in the ‘phone box, Alan quickly collected his brother and telling him to be as quiet as possible, they returned to the inn’s silent and dark back bar. Alan produced a penlight torch. The trapdoor was closed.

“Right, little brother. Here’s what we’re going to do,” he whispered.

“Really, Alan?”

“Yes, really.” Alan shone his penlight torch. “I’ll light your way. Keep those glasses coming.”

“If you’re sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure.”

“OK, then.”

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here