!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 257210 times)

Mito and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Michiel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Nothing is wrong, as long as it's fun!
    • Google+
    • PhotoBucket
    • YouTube
    • Brussels-Luxemburg anno 1920
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2014, 08:19:23 pm »
Hello Chris,

I just discovered your layout project. I kind of miss the images and track plans to illustrate the text, but from what I have found, I can see a very lovely little station with lots of opportunity of detailing and shunting. One thing that jumped into my mind looking at the track plan, was the rather small hidden yard. I would maximise it, because once you start running those trains across the layout, you never have enough hidden yard tracks.

I'll follow your project with interest and curiosity.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2014, 09:37:07 pm »
Many hanks, Michiel, the plans and visualisations can be found here:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=563

Unfortunately the layout is sized to fit under half of a double bed so there is no way of extending the hidden sidings. Its designed as the first module of a (distant) future larger layout, one end of which will be the module containing the busy dockside terminus of Penmayne (inspired by Padstow, North Cornwall). Intermediary modules(s) will feature bridges and country scenes.

Cant Cove is meant as a working diorama with frequent changes of figures and vehicles to tell small stories. (There is an extensive back story.) The detailing and scenic work is what I'm really looking forward to and, apart from rolling stock, is what i have heavily invested in. You're right that there are a lot of shunting possibilities, I'm glad to say! It is based on a real-life former station in the area (on the former line to Bude) with a couple of additions and a change of location to the side of an estuary (the mouth of the River Camel).

Most trains are through trains to / from Penmayne with BR Southern and Western Region steam and diesel trains running according to Working Timetables for the years 1961 - 1969 which was a period of incredible changes.

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2014, 10:53:10 am »
Looking forward to seeing work commence  :)
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2014, 11:14:59 am »
You can't spend too much time planning a layout. It saves you from having to take a Stanley knife to one of your new bits of scenery, chop it all out and start again...  :-[

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2014, 07:07:49 pm »
Not sure I follow that last post ??
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2014, 07:42:45 pm »
Err, me neither, Martin. I'm still waiting for my baseboard to be delivered but as I won't have any free time to work on it until the end of June, i don't mind. I have bought a lot of kits to adapt, make, paint and weather though not to mention a LOT of other scenic items including little people. However, next month, I need to visit my local DIY (there is one very close to me) and modelling supplies shops to stock up with glues, paints, and a few more cutting and smoothing items!

Offline A.Carter (BiG-T)

• N Gauge Society Number: 22937
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2014, 07:46:41 pm »
You can't spend too much time planning a layout. It saves you from having to take a Stanley knife to one of your new bits of scenery, chop it all out and start again...  :-[
Not sure I follow that last post ??
I had to do exactly this on a layout I bought the head shunt was too short by about 100mm so I had to attack the scenery with a Stanley knife to enable me to extend the track. I then had to re-do the scenery along the cut etc.
Much the same as they do on the 12'' to the foot scale only they do it with excavators and nature replaces the scenery!

Tony

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2014, 07:46:58 pm »
Hopefully you will have plenty of time to enjoy building your layout over the Summer months.
I'm certainly looking forward to seeing a start being made.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2014, 08:02:23 pm »
Ah, now, I understand, Tony. As the scenery (hilly meadows) rises towards the back I can squeeze one storage siding under a hill whilst the others will be behind the backscene. The (very) short branchline will be in a cutting lined with trees above so the gap in the backscene where it enters the fiddleyard should be hidden. It's only for goods trains, except for the old four-wheeled coach used for Castle guests, and the locos will be 0-6-0s, pannier tanks or Class 03 or 04 diesel shunters (although my outside crank Class 08 will be used for gauging trials as elsewhere. The "Atlantic Coast Express" to / from Waterloo, the "Cornish Belle" Pullman to / from Waterloo, and the "Cornubian" to / from Paddington will NOT be running along there, if Cant Cove's signalman wants to keep his job that is"

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2014, 08:08:46 pm »
Hopefully you will have plenty of time to enjoy building your layout over the Summer months.
I'm certainly looking forward to seeing a start being made.

Me, too, Martin. However, the enforced delay has enabled me to read up a lot and study what other members have done. It's the scenery that I'm REALLY looking forward to (I have lots of little stories to tell with all the figures). I've laid N Gauge track before BUT only very simple DC with hand operated points and two separate controllers. This time, I'm using DCC and have a three-way point to cope with! At first, I'm using joiners with wires presoldered and all points will be hand operated (with provision to add Cobalt motors following Michiel's example, later. Having the baseboard covered in insulating tile makes 'burying' points much easier!

I still have to order the 11 metres of track and one more point from Hattons and a DCC controller. I already have quite a few DCC-fitted locos to run but many more await the trip to Wickness Works!

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2014, 07:54:43 am »
Err, me neither, Martin.

Sorry if my last comment baffled you, it was a reference to what I have had to do to the scenery on my own layout, which I might have avoided if I'd spent a bit more time thinking before I started actually constructing anything.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2014, 09:16:47 am »
Err, me neither, Martin.

Sorry if my last comment baffled you, it was a reference to what I have had to do to the scenery on my own layout, which I might have avoided if I'd spent a bit more time thinking before I started actually constructing anything.

Thanks. I understand your point, now. Well, I have had nearly 6 months to think everything out and have learnt a tremendous amount from NGF members (and books) so, I hope, that I will avoid some of the worst mistakes but I'm sure that I will still make some. However, as I wrote, Cant Cove is very much meant to be an exercise in 'learning by doing'. It's principal purpose is a working diorama (so I can create realistic scenery) with many interesting through trains (alas no continuous running) and interesting shunting operations with a small goods yard, PWM siding, and branch to the Castle Estate (which generates a LOT of diverse traffic). It's designed as a module for the future when (if) I have more space next decade.

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2014, 12:53:30 pm »
Cant Cove is very much meant to be an exercise in 'learning by doing'.

Soldering  :D

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2014, 02:42:09 pm »
'learning by doing'

Same here.  This is the first layout I've built in 15 years and the first ever to have anything resembling proper scenery. So I'm trying lots of new (to me) techniques, and have a long (and still growing) list of things I will do differently on the next layout. Baseboard construction, point motors, wiring, ballasting....

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2014, 05:24:14 pm »
'learning by doing'

Same here.  This is the first layout I've built in 15 years and the first ever to have anything resembling proper scenery. So I'm trying lots of new (to me) techniques, and have a long (and still growing) list of things I will do differently on the next layout. Baseboard construction, point motors, wiring, ballasting....

My last layout (also N Gauge) was more than 30 years ago and I have the same long list of things to learn, too. However, I'm having the baseboard built for me by a local 'handyman', which is why I still don't have it! However, I won't have time until the end of June to work on it.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here