!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 188216 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #3465 on: January 12, 2017, 08:37:27 am »
Thanks, Laurence. Unfortunately, there is a lot going on at work at what, normally, is quiet six weeks. I hope to keep the weekend free, though. My kitchen table is piled high with part-painted models (all under transparent plastic boxes as dust covers) and there are more on what was my work desk.

Offline port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3466 on: January 12, 2017, 01:58:36 pm »
I'm sure that you will engineer a little time for some modelling soon Chris.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Trepol Bay :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=1392
Port Perran :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=1004

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #3467 on: January 12, 2017, 05:06:59 pm »
When working on BR, it was late one night,  I once came across a couple clearly "in love" at Waterloo station - but the details are (perhaps) best glossed over in a family forum  :-[ 

Suffice to say they were taken away by the police and charged!

Chuckle. A friend is very fond of telling people he's been at it naked both at Paddington station and on the Royal Albert Bridge.

As far as possible he avoids mentioning that it was on the sleeper 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #3468 on: January 12, 2017, 09:04:18 pm »
Have you considered retiring? The trouble is that you have more time to do all the other thing you wanted to do but cannot find more time for modeling. :doh:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #3469 on: January 12, 2017, 09:39:29 pm »
Have you considered retiring? The trouble is that you have more time to do all the other thing you wanted to do but cannot find more time for modeling. :doh:

I, literally, cannot afford to retire, Brian. Besides, I enjoy (most of) my work most of the time. In theory, anyway, I should only be working reduced hours mid-December to mid-February. However, there is a lot going on, at present. However, tomorrow, I SHOULD be home all day and will be able to get down to a good long session of buffer painting! Then I have some small scenic items to complete. If the sun shines, I may take some 'through' train photos. from last month.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #3470 on: January 12, 2017, 09:54:09 pm »
I'm reminded (by some of the recent comments) about one story not told from last summer at Cant Cove . . .

Sylvia's reprobate elder brother, Gerald, (who 'manages' "The Railway Hotel" famous for its restaurant's excellent cuisine but notorious for its popularity with couples wanting to escape the
possibility of being seen together as well as, with his German proto-hippy wife, Brigita, the "Rock", a restaurant on a rock off the beach at Penmayne, (very popular with the Pink Floyd), famous for its Greek cuisine, never closing and serving alcohol at all hours of the summer season) was overheard trying to interest various of the 'Chelsea Girls' in a summer morning 'artistic' photo shoot at Cant Cove for his planned circulation-only 'gentlemen's magazine, "Avant". They all indignantly refused and threatened to inform his wife. However, Gerald is a rich and persuasive young man so he remains confident that he will find some pretty young would-be models willing to pose 'artistically' for his magazine! [However, being a family Website, such scandalous pictures would have to remain unseen.]

Any such photo shoot would have to be scheduled for when Cant Cove's stationmaster and family, staunch Methodists, (as many Cornish are), are on their summer holiday and a more 'flexible' relief stationmaster, from out of the district, is in charge. Some of the other railway staff, alas, being regular recipients of Gerald's hospitality in the public bar of the "The Railway Hotel", have no moral scruples about such activities; indeed the relief early shift signalman has already offered the use of his signal box as a changing room!

Offline Drakken

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #3471 on: January 12, 2017, 10:50:35 pm »
Love it lol, Gentleman's Magazine, Things seem to get a little top shelf at Cant Cove in the summer months ;)

Offline D1042 Western Princess

• Awards
« Reply #3472 on: January 13, 2017, 07:23:10 am »
There was great excitement at Cant Cove, this morning, as a special train from Eastleigh via Exmouth Junction arrived at Cant Cove. Tipped off by the Wadebridge Yardmaster, Cant Cove's official photographer was there to record it and two subsequent trains.

BR Standard Class 4MT 2-6-0 76069 (with large capacity SR tender) hauls an SR design van in BR Grey containing loco. spare parts and a second loco., both picked up from Exmouth Junction shed where ex-GWR Collett 0-6-0 3203 had been taken for possible use on snowplough duties (before withdrawal) but, instead, had been purchased by Lady Penelope for a surprise Christmas present for her husband (who immediately gave it into the care of the GWS, Bodmin General). [Eventaully it will be remumbered as one of the snowplough locos. as soon as I find out which one(s) were in 3203's livery.]

A BR Standard Brake Van [a spare Minitrix one bought as part of a rake for "through" running of goods trains] brings up the rear.

Mmm, ONE van and a brake van - and took TWO steam engines to haul it - now if they'd only put a Diesel Hydraulic on it... ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:24:43 am by D1042 Western Princess »
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #3473 on: January 13, 2017, 07:49:14 am »
Cant Cove does see a good selection of WR diesel-hydraulics. Even a "Western" (as well as a Brush Type 4) has been known to get that far (but only after the WR had paid for much work on upgrading the track and underbridges between Bodmin Road-Wadebridge-Cant Cove). Unfortunately, Dr. Beeching vetoed rebuilding Cant Cove bridge and paying for any further work on to Penmayne as well as completing upgrading the whole line to allow anything heavier than a "Hymek" (or a "Warship" running at reduced speed) in everyday use. However, a Type 3 is more than adequate for most trains with North British Type 2s the most commonly seen.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #3474 on: January 13, 2017, 07:50:27 am »
Love it lol, Gentleman's Magazine, Things seem to get a little top shelf at Cant Cove in the summer months ;)

Well, it is the "Swinging Sixties"! 8-)

Offline D1042 Western Princess

• Awards
« Reply #3475 on: January 13, 2017, 08:03:38 am »

Well, it is the "Swinging Sixties"! 8-)

Ah, the 'swinging 60s' - I remember them well  :-[    :D
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #3476 on: January 13, 2017, 05:20:07 pm »
I need to renumber my old Grahan Farish (DCC-fitted by Douglas of Wickness -- now the DCC service runs under a new name) 94XX which is the Castle branch loco. Assuming I can get numberplates, it will become 9467 as it was allocated to Plymouth Laira from April 1952 to May 1962! (So, it would have been 'on loan' to St. Blazey then preserved.)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #3477 on: January 13, 2017, 07:28:34 pm »
Especially for fellow diesel-hydraulic fans. 8-)

Because of the major trackwork in the Trepol Bay-Port Perran area, this late December-mid-January, the daily milk train has been starting from Wadebridge. However, due to road traffic problems, the road milk tankers taking the milk normally loaded at Port Perran are being unloaded at Wadebridge, first, and then the Wadebridge portion is being taken to Cant Cove where the portion from the Castle Estates is added before the train returns to Wadebridge then on to Bodmin Road and the WR to London.

Being December 1963*, the normal diesel timetable is in operation. Here D7093 (brand new of Bristol Bath Road, on a local crew-training duty, Plymouth Laira not getting an allocation until 1964) arrives with the already filled tankers from Wadebridge whilst, in the background, the Castle branch 94XX is arriving with the loaded tankers from the Castle Estate. (*The Western Region turns became dieselised in 1961. The motive power that replaced the 45XX and 4575 Prairie tanks on passenger and goods services was the D63xx North British Type 2s allocated to Plymouth Laira from 1959 but some, in practice, sub-shedded to St Blazey depot.)

Coming off the Castle branch, the 94XX crosses the Wadebridge to Trevelver road and passes through Cant Cove goods yard.

The milk train stops at the end of the goods yard headshunt by Cant Cove. (The effects of a light sea mist are visible.)

Meanwhile, the "Hymek" has run round its train, prior to moving the train's guard's van, an ex-LMS 'Stobe B' still in BR Crimson livery.

The powerful pannier tank adds its milk tankers to the end of the waiting train having left its 'Wadebridge' brake van in the bay platform with an autocoach waiting to go to Withy Junction, Somerset.

The "Hymek" then propels the guard's van onto the Cant Cove bridge. (The sea mist having cleared in the morning sunshine.)

The two portions connected, D7093 sets off, again, for Wadebridge then Bodmin Road and on to London up the WR mainline.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:41:21 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #3478 on: January 13, 2017, 07:36:09 pm »
Looks good Chris. I always rather like milk trains - they rather look the part I think.
The Civil Engineer for North Cornwall is quietly optimistic that the major track renovations around Trepol Bay and Port Perran will be completed for limited operation by Monday of next week.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Trepol Bay :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=1392
Port Perran :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=1004

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #3479 on: January 13, 2017, 08:47:33 pm »
That's very good news, Martin. All those who use the trains in the Trepol Bay-Port area will be very pleased. However, the enthusiasts in the Cant Cove area will miss the unusual train operations.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
155% 
March Donations

Advertise Here