!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 296502 times)

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 09:56:40 pm »
Looking forward to seeing those sketches/plans.
Soon be time to get going on the layout itself.
Looking forward to seeing developments in the near future.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

ParkeNd

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 11:46:31 pm »
Great stuff Chris. Burying points motors in the scenery is easier than I thought it would be, so you should be fine too. 5 of my 9 are buried and just 2 are defeating my imagination so far. I have only used one glue type from a DIY store- the rest tend to be model shop glues. Although creating wild guffaws from the Antipodes gel superglue has proved horrifically expensive - 5.95 for a squeezey container that looks big but empties almost immediately - contains just 3 gms which must be only say 2cc and thus works out at 3000 per litre!!  I reckon my layout has used 3 x 3 gms so far so will use about 25 by the time I have finished just glueing unusual combinations of materials - say 150.

A straight Tracksetta has been the most useful tool and the Swann Morton scalpels were an absolute bargain that get used all day - just 3.80 on Amazon with 5 blades - post free. I have just bought 20 more genuine Swann Morton blades for 3.56 post free via Amazon. If you haven't used them before the how to fit the blades isn't obvious and it's worth looking at their website - substitute long nosed pillars for forceps and keep your fingers well out of the way. They are sharper than you wildest dreams.

The Chinchilla Dust for ballast I have read about. But I wonder if this is taking scale considerations too far?  In N there comes a point where you actually have to see a feature to appreciate it. The videos of a little girl putting it in a plastic globe make it look like flour. Combined with PVA might this not look like slurry? A lot of it on a layout might look like the aftermath of a mudslide. Perhaps a trial first.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:43:30 am by ParkeNd »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 11:35:18 am »
Many thanks Martin. Burying points seems to be the best solution so I'm very glad to read that it's working for you. A far more knowledgeable friend gave me a list of what glues I will need and I'll see what I can source here from both DIY and modelling stores. On my old layout, I think I just used UHU and standard plastic kit tube glue! I'm definitely going to see if I can find cheaper super glue.

I don't have a Tracksetta but I do have a small red plastic track gauger (Peco, I think) and, as on my old layout, I'll rely on pencil and ruler to align tracks and see how that works out!

I have a surgical scalpel with blades, again, from a far more knowledgeable friend who warned me of the dire consequences of not paying 1000% attention when using it! I also have a cheap knife with break off blades inside for cutting cardboard, etc. I do have a small power drill, pliers and a few other household tools but there is an old-fashioned DIY store just around the corner and that will be my first place to go to. However, I will also bear in mind your recommendation for Swann Morton scalpels and blades from Amazon as there will be a lot of material to cut. I will need something large to cut the insulation blocks but am hoping my landlord will come with his toolbox!

I have not bought a soldering iron, etc., but that will have to be done, soon.

First priority will be to get all the scenic blocks of insulation board roughly cut and glued in place. Then tracklaying and wiring. I'm hoping for help with the wiring.

I have a big variety of ballasting and grass materials and will be trying them out on the layout to see what looks best; probably in the fiddle yard where the mistakes won't matter! Chinchilla dust, if I can source it, will be tried for ballasting and yard surfaces. I've read that talcum powder on wet paint is good for roads and platform surfaces so will be trying that out on card and scrap platform pieces, too.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2014, 11:39:11 am »

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 12:12:18 pm »
The plans look good.
You are certainly putting a lot of effort into this project.  I really look forward to the actual construction.
Good luck !!
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2014, 12:15:55 pm »
Thanks again, Martin. How's the rebuilding of Port Perran going? I can't wait to see some pictures.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2014, 12:20:00 pm »
The plans and visualisations can be found here:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=563

These are the earlier plans. There is a full-colour way earlier on this thread. I have added a small single-road loco shed.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2014, 12:42:15 pm »
Port Perran is going reasonably well but slow progress at the moment. Unfortunately work gets in the way !!
I will post a few photos when I have the platform area of my main station back on the baseboard. I'm currently reconstructing the station platforms off the layout and bit by bit. I am looking forward to getting it all back in situ.
Very much looking forward to semi-retirement in December when hopefully I can reduce my working week to 2 days or so. I can then start on construction of the extension towards LSWR metals which is only at the planning and ideas stage at the moment. 
My current  idea is that the extension (probably approx. 3ft by 2ft) will be joined to the main  Port Perran layout by a single track girder bridge (similar to the one at Padstow) but it will be removable so that I can take it as a standalone to exhibitions.  Living in a 200 year old Cornish cottage, I find it difficult these days to get my 6X3 main layout down our steep and narrow stairway without damage (either to me or the layout) !
My Layouts -

ParkeNd

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2014, 01:05:18 pm »
Many thanks Martin------------------------ that is my brothers name so close enough Chris

I don't have a Tracksetta but I do have a small red plastic track gauger (Peco, I think) and, as on my old layout, I'll rely on pencil and ruler to align tracks and see how that works out!-----------------------

The function of Tracksettas is far more than just making curves to a specific radius and following pencil lines I found.

The track in the box is far from straight and running the straight Tracksetta along beyween the rails gets the kinks out - the rail might look straight but it wriggles about as you move the Tracksetta along proving that it wasn't straight. Overlapping it from a straight into the toe of a point gets the alignment perfect - and holds it perfect while you fix them down. Also joining rails with a straight Tracksetta in the new piece allows perfect cuts without finding after you join them with rail joiners that one rail is 1\16 shorter than the other because the rail wasn't straight along its whole length when you marked and cut it.

All for about 7.

The little red Peco plastic bit is good for checking after the event that the distance between two tracks is constant - if a little wiggly. But not much else.

The best way to test out what I say is not to buy one.  Hard lesson though.

End of sermon.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:07:11 pm by ParkeNd »

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2014, 01:23:36 pm »
Oops. You didn't say elsewhere that you had started a thread for Cant Cove, so I've missed this until now. You've certainly been more detailed with your scenic planning than I have so far. I've just left the white areas in between the track blank and assumed 'there be dragons'!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2014, 07:29:35 pm »
Oops. You didn't say elsewhere that you had started a thread for Cant Cove, so I've missed this until now. You've certainly been more detailed with your scenic planning than I have so far. I've just left the white areas in between the track blank and assumed 'there be dragons'!

Sorry, Pete. This has been 'in gestation' since last summer. As you can see the scenic planning interests me far more than the electrical side! I've taken inspiration from many real life books on railways in North Cornwall and some great layouts set in Cornwall, beginning with Port Perran but including other WR ones like (in alphabetical order) Chetcombe, Parkend, and Teignbridge, Langstone & Holcombe, for instance. I've overbought locos. and scenic items and, ahem, still need to buy track (11 metres of it) and one remaining point and, erm, a DCC controller! (Although I have a 50 deposit on one.) The Holy Well will be moved, I've decided nearer the station.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2014, 07:40:29 pm »
Many thanks, Chris, I had NO idea what a Tracksetta is, having never read of anyone using one. On my old layout (30 years ago) I used Peco Streamline track and Setrack points and did not need a Tracksetta to get my tracks (and the sleepers and rails thereof) all nicely lined up (with no gaps) and the twin tracks nicely parallel. So, I'm guessing Code 55 track is more troublesome?

There is scarcely a straight piece of track of any length in Cant Cove. There seem to be a variety of Tracksettas. Will a standard straight one suffice? If so, I'll add one to my Hattons order for 11 metres of track (mostly wooden sleepered but with at least 2 concrete sleepered -- yes, the WR laid some shortly before line closure, of course, in real life!) plus the one point which I don't have.

My three-way point arrived (bought without box or leaflet) but VGC and has various mysterious thin wires attached  . . .

ParkeNd

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2014, 07:51:33 pm »
Many thanks, Chris, I had NO idea what a Tracksetta is, having never read of anyone using one. On my old layout (30 years ago) I used Peco Streamline track and Setrack points and did not need a Tracksetta to get my tracks (and the sleepers and rails thereof) all nicely lined up (with no gaps) and the twin tracks nicely parallel. So, I'm guessing Code 55 track is more troublesome?

There is scarcely a straight piece of track of any length in Cant Cove. There seem to be a variety of Tracksettas. Will a standard straight one suffice? If so, I'll add one to my Hattons order for 11 metres of track (mostly wooden sleepered but with at least 2 concrete sleepered -- yes, the WR laid some shortly before line closure, of course, in real life!) plus the one point which I don't have.

My three-way point arrived (bought without box or leaflet) but VGC and has various mysterious thin wires attached  . . .

I used the straight and the 12" radius more than anything else. not sure if Hattons do them. Got mine from Rails of Sheffield.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2014, 08:02:32 pm »
Thanks, again, Chris. I'll buy a straight one, then. I think as i have no full curves (as you do) that should suffice.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2014, 08:35:18 pm »
Thanks, Chris. A picture really is worth a LOT of words. Definitely a straight Tracksetta but I think I can manage the curves myself (I doubt whether any would fit these templates anyway).

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything