!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 231114 times)

Offline beestie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • a 20 year old modeller and a BMW 3 series lover
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 07:35:41 pm »
i nicked them off the family veg rack :angel: , however i need some more heavy duty ones .
James Beeston(aka mrjamestrain)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 07:39:28 pm »
i nicked them off the family veg rack :angel: , however i need some more heavy duty ones .

:bounce:

I've got two handymen locals looking for suitable castors for me.

Offline beestie

• a 20 year old modeller and a BMW 3 series lover
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 07:41:02 pm »
wouldnt some wheels of a trabbi work , or a skoda?  :P
James Beeston(aka mrjamestrain)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 07:43:21 pm »
 :no:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 06:09:33 am »
I have a question, please, about the liveries of the (G)WR 45XX 2-6-2Ts (St. Blazey allocated) that were used in the 1960s by the WR on the Bodmin-Wadebridge-Padstow trains (B-Sets) up to dieselisation. Apart from going through photos in reference books (which I have) and the online data (St. Blazey allocation history) is there any source of info. about what locos. were used and, in particular which liveries? Most photos being monochrome it is difficult to tell which locos carried BR Green and which BR Black liveries; if the loco. is dirty / the lighting / photo quality is not so good sometimes it is even difficult to tell if the livery was lined out or not! I'm thinking that plain BR Black with the Late BR Crest would be the most common? Basically, I need to decide whether I should sell a Dapol BR Black Early Crest (I can easily change the crest) 45XX or a BR Green Early Crest (again, I can easily change the crest). I only need two for my WTT and already have: BR Green Late Crest (lined); plus two 4575 'Slope Tanks' (far less commonly used on the Bodmin-Wadebridge-Padstow trains, judging by the photos I have in books): BR Green Late Crest and BR Black Early Crest (again, I can easily change the crest). Any help would be gratefully received. Is there an online list of which 45XXs carried which liveries or a reference book like the one (Peto's Register) for 14XXs I have?

ParkeNd

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 09:59:36 am »
Dean Forest Railway has a green 45xx which is being launched on 19th/20th April after a 9 year rebuild. May be totally irrelevant to your needs Chris but I will go and photograph it including any particular bits and angles you may want. I can post them on here or PM them to you. Will be on full frame Nikon D700 with Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 lens so only the idiot pressing the shutter release is low quality.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 10:10:36 am »
Dean Forest Railway has a green 45xx which is being launched on 19th/20th April after a 9 year rebuild. May be totally irrelevant to your needs Chris but I will go and photograph it including any particular bits and angles you may want. I can post them on here or PM them to you. Will be on full frame Nikon D700 with Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 lens so only the idiot pressing the shutter release is low quality.

Many thanks, Chris. That would be very much appreciated as I need to super-detail my 45XX and 4575 2-6-2Ts (lamp irons, etc.) to match the one super-detailed Dapol 4575 Class 'Slope Tank' 5544 [bought renumbered and detailed] in BR Black Early Crest livery (needs recresting to Late Crest) that I have. I have a Dapol ND-035, No. 4565, in BR Green Late Crest, and a Dapol ND060C No. 5530 in BR Green Late Crest so whichever type of Green 45XX the DFR has your photos will be very useful.

ParkeNd

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 10:15:09 am »

Many thanks, Chris. That would be very much appreciated as I need to super-detail my 45XX and 4575 2-6-2Ts (lamp irons, etc.) to match the one super-detailed Dapol 4575 Class 'Slope Tank' 5544 [bought renumbered and detailed] in BR Black Early Crest livery (needs recresting to Late Crest) that I have. I have a Dapol ND-035, No. 4565, in BR Green Late Crest, and a Dapol ND060C No. 5530 in BR Green Late Crest so whichever type of Green 45XX the DFR has your photos will be very useful.

Dean Forest's is 5541.

Will take photos for you 19th April.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 10:20:04 am »
Excellent, Chris.  :claphappy: Whilst I like both types of 45XXs, the Slope Tank 4575s are my favourite so I am delighted that the DFR has one (5541) for you to photograph. I hope you and the DFR will have a fine, sunny day.

ParkeNd

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 10:43:04 am »
Question Chris. Will Can't Cove follow the established tradition of having platform signs saying it is "Cant Cove for Bude and Lands End"

By the way your layout name is attacked by my iPhone's spell checker while I'm not looking. So my apologies in advance for every time I don't spot "Can't Cove" in future replies.

ParkeNd

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 11:02:02 am »
Is this website of any use to you. You just key in the loco number in top RH corner and prefix it with S for Steam and you get sightings on dates, and location.

http://www.locoscene.co.uk/locodetail.php?locoid=8615

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 11:11:14 am »
Is this website of any use to you. You just key in the loco number in top RH corner and prefix it with S for Steam and you get sightings on dates, and location.

http://www.locoscene.co.uk/locodetail.php?locoid=8615

Wow! That looks like an excellent resource that I had never heard of before, Chris. Many thanks, again.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 08:33:46 pm »
I have just had the initial detailed sketches for the baseboard for Cant Cove emailed to me, a nice birthday present.  :claphappy: However, as all the comments are in Czech and I need to make some amendments, I'm not posting these two sketches yet.

Basically it is a standard (but thin) long oblong wooden frame with three additional cross members (for rigidity) mounted on small castors underneath with a thin board surface fixed on top onto which are to be glued two layers of insulating block with a third layer glued on the right-hand side. However, before they are glued, I want them roughly cut and shaped to fit the detailed scale plan rather than try to cut and carve them afterwards! And there will be a LOT of cutting required! The board will be sea level and fiddle yard level (although the fiddle yard will be raised slightly by the cork underlay). The first insulating block will be for the mainline track and station yard. The second and third blocks will form the upward sloping meadow hillside area (through which the Castle Estate branch will pass in a cutting) and a small cutting on the mainline on the right. Cork insulation strip shaped for the Chinchilla Dust ballast to be glued onto will go under the track and also under the fiddle yard track (no ballasting required).

The four protective sides have to be fitted with the front (perspex) being removable. (The other sides will need to be painted both sides first: sky blue inside and 'SR Green' outside. Provision for arches for the mainline to link to track on future modules with sliding dustproof doors will have to be made)

As soon as possible, the DCC power bus also needs to be fitted with two additional buses, one for lighting and one for (eventually) point points although 'wire-in-a-tube' might be easier and cheaper? Point motors can be buried in cutouts in the insulation board with ballasted card covers, if I go that route.

The frame and the baseboard top will need to be varnished both sides before any gluing of insulation boards takes place.

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 09:05:41 pm »
Soon be time to get down and dirty then :)
We shall be watching so keep us well informed  :thumbsup:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 09:23:21 pm »
Soon be time to get down and dirty then :)
We shall be watching so keep us well informed  :thumbsup:

Thanks, John. It's been a long time planning but that has meant I have avoided a lot of probable mistakes by learning from others. Wiring should be very inexpensive and the baseboard should not be too expensive. I still need to buy one more Peco Code 55 right-hand point (8 only) plus 11 metres of Peco Code 55 track wooden and concrete sleepered combined, an order with Hattons, as soon as I get my (expected) tax refund plus pay the remainder of the money (50 put aside) for the DCC controller. I have most of the scenery already (probably too much of some items, especially figures!). I will have to buy paints and glues; a trip to the local DIY should suffice. Then a trip to a local modelling shop for balsa wood, plastikard etc. for scratch building and kitbashing. I should be able to do some basic scenery work over Easter but most work will have to wait until July and August. I also need to pay for more DCC conversions (I have all the locos., except for a SR 'N') and pay for some locos., after weathering and renumbering, to be shipped here. Not a cheap hobby is it!

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here