!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Bridge at Remagen  (Read 27677 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Bridge at Remagen
« Reply #420 on: March 14, 2017, 05:47:31 pm »
Great work Al. Your thread always has amazing new models.  :thankyousign:

Offline Al.

• Awards
« Reply #421 on: March 17, 2017, 01:00:20 pm »

72 years ago today, on March 17th 1945, the Remagen Bridge finally succumbed to the damage inflicted on it during the previous weeks and collapsed into the Rhine, killing 28 American engineers and injuring 93 others.

Dubbed the "Miracle of Remagen," the capture of the Ludendorff Bridge in 7th March 1945 opened the way for Allied troops to drive into the heart of Germany and marked the End Game of the War in Europe.

In the first 24 hours, and while engineers from the US 51st and 291st Engineer Battalions battled to repair the damage caused by the demolition charges and battle to seize it, over 8,000 men flooded across the bridge to gain a foot hold on the east back of the Rhine.

In the months preceding it’s capture, the bridge had been under continues air attack as Allied tried to destroy every bridge over the Rhine. During the battle to capture the bridge sustained major damage from a failed demolition attempt. And while in Allied hand the German High Command, desperate to destroy the bridge, targeted it with everything at their disposal including jet powered Arado Ar 234 bombers, massive Karl-Gerät 600mm mortars and V-2 ballistic missiles. Final, 10 days after its capture, the bridge could take no more and collapsed.

There are no accurate records of the number of tonnage put across the bridge, but during those 10 days 6 Armoured Divisions; totalling over 25,000 men, with tanks, trucks and armour, crossed and established a 25 mile wide bridgehead on the east back of the Rhine. The capture of the Ludendorff Bridge had removed the last obstacle to the Allied advance. Seven weeks later German finally surrendered and the War in Europe was over.

To quote an Officer from the US 51st Engineering Battalion. “The real mystery is not why it fell down, but how it ever stood up under the weight of traffic we sent across”

'The Bridge at Remagen' Facebook page - https://www.facebook...ridgeAtRemagen/

Booked exhibitions.
CRMA Stevenage - January 2018.

Online MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #422 on: March 17, 2017, 05:00:23 pm »
An amazing piece of history there, and I hope it's not a foreshadowing of things to come for your gorgeous layout!  ;D

Offline Al.

• Awards
« Reply #423 on: March 25, 2017, 07:10:57 pm »

I was at Ally Pally model railway show today, and after a brows though the second hand stalls I came across a very nice Fleischmann BR-52 at a good price.

Al.

Booked exhibitions.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #424 on: March 25, 2017, 09:17:46 pm »

I was at Ally Pally model railway show today, and after a brows though the second hand stalls I came across a very nice Fleischmann BR-52 at a good price.

Al.

and what looks suspiciously like a finger of whiskey to celebrate ;)

Offline Al.

• Awards
« Reply #425 on: March 26, 2017, 01:06:27 pm »
Update on the Morser Karl from this morning.

All base coated and ready for highlighting and weathering. I've still need to build up three motorcycles, a Kubel and a Nag truck to finish the convoy off.

And this I how they look on the layout.

(M/C, kubel and truck borrowed from the bridge garrison.)

Al.

Booked exhibitions.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #426 on: March 26, 2017, 03:15:53 pm »
Thanks for this update. As always superb model making and painting.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
155% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything