!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Beattie Road, 70's to 90's Attic scenic layout  (Read 2735 times)

Online newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Beattie Road, 70's to 90's Attic scenic layout
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2017, 10:20:18 pm »
Hmm work seems to have slowed down, far too busy playing with trains. I knew putting track down was a mistake!

Matt

Welcome to Newportnobby's world. Must be the Newport connection :hmmm:

Online mattycoops43

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2017, 02:00:49 pm »
Hi there

Well, playing with... scale modelling I mean, has shown me the need for some better lighting, so I have rearranged, added two extra strip lights so there is a 4' light over each section of the layout. Also I have added some short strips of LED over the engine shed area as it is in a gap between the main lights.

Huge improvement, and I no longer need to keep moving a spotlight around to do any work. I have a 5m strip of LED lights so I am going to add some extra bits of LED lighting over the far corner where the Branchline terminates as it is still very gloomy.

I have mounted Strip lights direct to the eaves, the end one I was able to mount sideways, and the side ones I have added some strips of MDF so that it is shielded from direct view, This means it is all indirect lighting as originally I had the two side lights un protected and they were a bit bright.

Next on to the scenery!

Matt

Online mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2017, 02:02:10 pm »
Forgot to mention, the LED's over the engine sheds are not on in the photos, they are quite effective when they are.

Online newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2017, 03:13:53 pm »
Thanks for the progress update, Matt. It looks very good :thumbsup:

Online mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2017, 07:30:32 pm »
Hi there

I sorted the templates for my platforms yesterday and had a go at my first platform today, an island platform. I am so impressed with the Metcalfe kit.

I trimmed down a pencil so the lead was flush against the carriage, put some tape around it so the lead didn't mark the coach and used that to draw the required clearance. I had already trimmed the paper to slot into the side of the rail, which helps hold it in place. This is so easy, start with a big piece of paper, then run your finger around the rail tops so they show through and mark the paper, then you have a line to get the paper to the rail side.

I have never done this before, and found the kit to be up to the usual Metcalfe high standard, very easy to make and easy to get square and true.

I am extremely pleased with the way it has come out, I think the platform gap is spot on and trains run past with no issues. The platform needs some kind of fixing down as it is very slightly bowed in the middle(only by a fraction of a mm)

Online newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: Yesterday at 08:55:45 am »
Looks good, Matt.
I think we all try to get the platforms as close to the rails as we can without them being fouled by stock so as to avoid a big gap. However, there are certain locos like the Minitrix 9F and the outside frame Farish class 08 which are wider than most.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
October Donations

Advertise Here