!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 35477 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #1020 on: July 16, 2018, 06:29:49 am »
To be fair, pairs of Type 2s were booked until their larger cousins, the Type 4 "Warships" were available, instead.

Do you mean the original warships? I read that they were very unreliable and spent a lot of their time sandwiched between a steam loco and the train they were supposed to be pulling. The Class 42 acquired the 'Warship' moniker after their demise.

No, I meant the Swindon-built and North British Built D8xx series (later Class 42 and 43). Both the North British D6xx (later Class 41) and the Swindon-built and North British built D8xx series were officially called "WARSHIP CLASS", by BR from the beginning.

See the nameplate of D601 "Ark Royal" on display at the National Railway:
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/British_Rail_Class_41_(Warship_Class)

And of D603 "Conquest" here:
http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00000-conquest.jpg

With D865 "Zealous" here:
http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00000-conquest-zealous.jpg

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1021 on: July 16, 2018, 09:25:14 am »
To be fair, pairs of Type 2s were booked until their larger cousins, the Type 4 "Warships" were available, instead.

Do you mean the original warships? I read that they were very unreliable and spent a lot of their time sandwiched between a steam loco and the train they were supposed to be pulling. The Class 42 acquired the 'Warship' moniker after their demise.

No, I meant the Swindon-built and North British Built D8xx series (later Class 42 and 43). Both the North British D6xx (later Class 41) and the Swindon-built and North British built D8xx series were officially called "WARSHIP CLASS", by BR from the beginning.

See the nameplate of D601 "Ark Royal" on display at the National Railway:
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/British_Rail_Class_41_(Warship_Class)

And of D603 "Conquest" here:
http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00000-conquest.jpg

With D865 "Zealous" here:
http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00000-conquest-zealous.jpg

Oops, I thought you meant the D600 Active class. :sorrysign:

Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1022 on: July 16, 2018, 01:11:39 pm »
The D600 Active Class have been described as," the diesel hydraulic the Western Region didn't want". Terribly unreliable. Cornwall was the first region of BR that became completely dieselized. 1962 appears to be the effective end of steam in Cornwall. The D600 were not a success but the Class 22 (or as Chris from Prague says Type 2) were much better.

There is a body kit for an N gauge D600. For the life of me I can't quite recall who makes it. Should/could we see an example at Cant Cove or Port Perran - complete with Manor in front? These seem to be examples of quintessential Cornish layouts.

I did start a compressed version of Penzance once and considered buying the body kit for a D600. Sadly that layout didn't make it much past the planning stage. I will have to be content with admiring the work of others - which, I might add is actually rather an enjoyable experience.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1023 on: July 16, 2018, 03:17:58 pm »
Hi Chris, I'd certainly agree with you that the D600 (later Class 41) "Warship" Class locos were, indeed, "the diesel-hydraulic the Western Region didn't want", the heavyweight design being imposed on the WR by the BTC. (I have quite a few books about this subject.) As both the builders (North British) and the railway staff who had to work on and with them were very new to diesel-hydraulics it is not surprising that they were terribly unreliable, at first. Later, they settled down to working trains of china clay wagons where the locos.' extra weight came in very handy for braking such trains.

There is / was a bodykit for an N Gauge D600 class and at least one forum member (Karhedron) has made a very nice looking model. "The kit was made by Carl Pelpow of "It's N Gauge". The kit comes as a resin bodyshell with etched details that is to be fitted on the older Bachmann/Farish class 47 chassis. Carl has revamped this kit with improved grill detail so anyone else wanting to have a go can now (2010) get the improved version of the kit." However, he is out of business (see elsewhere on the forum on him being sent to present) so the chances of buying a new kit are dependent on finding a secondhand one. I would suggest that a new 3D print would be much better in any case.

SEE:
https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=29241

The chassis came from an old Graham Farish Class 47 chassis. "The Class 77 bogie sideframes made by MSL for their kit. Although not quite identical, the Class 77 bogies are very close to those on the D600s. They are also cast to fit the standard Bachmann/Farish 3-axle bogie which makes fitting them to this kit easy."

I would be very tempted to have a D6xx in BR Green livery, but it would get very little use at Cant Cove as nothing bigger than a "Hymek" is, normally, seen there and the bridge beyond has a weight restriction baring anything with a RA higher than that of a D8xx "Warship". Martin might be tempted to have one running to / from Truro via Newquay? (In our 'Alternative Cornwall' there is an upgraded -- by the GWR in the 1930s -- alternative mainline from Truro-Newquay-Wadebridge.) A "Manor" plus D6xx would be a pleasing pairing to model. Once I have the other lmotive power that I need more, as 3D prints (e.g. an O2, a B4, a Swindon Cross-Country DMU), I'll try to persuade someone to make a 3D print of a D6xx in N Gauge.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:19:36 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1024 on: July 16, 2018, 04:59:18 pm »
Thanks Caz for that lovely photo of two Class 22s at the head of the Cornishman.
Lets hope those two of them made it all the way to Penzance with no problems.
Chris and Chris, the best I can do to replicate a steam diesel combination involving a Manor and an early warship lookalike (ie class 22) is this pairing passing through Trepol Bay earlier today. The Manor is in GWR livery as restord by the GWS in Cornwall.

It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1025 on: July 16, 2018, 05:30:58 pm »
Many thanks, Martin, for another excellent photo. The liveries do go very well together.

If it's an enthusiasts' charter from Penmayne-Wadebridge-Trepol Bay-Port Perran-Newquay(-Truro?), I can photograph it passing through Cant Cove. (I have locos. in these liveries if not the same identities.)

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1026 on: July 16, 2018, 07:16:25 pm »
Many thanks, Martin, for another excellent photo. The liveries do go very well together.

If it's an enthusiasts' charter from Penmayne-Wadebridge-Trepol Bay-Port Perran-Newquay(-Truro?), I can photograph it passing through Cant Cove. (I have locos. in these liveries if not the same identities.)
Yes indeed, it is passing Trepol Bay in the Truro direction.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1027 on: July 16, 2018, 10:55:10 pm »
I hope that your Class 22 hasn't broken down Martin! I'm assuming it is a posed static pic. I wonder how 2 such different model locos would manage running together in perfect harmony?

Did I just drop a Karen Carpenter reference there? :-[

Woe is me. :'(

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1028 on: July 18, 2018, 08:17:11 pm »
What-ho, Martin

After a bit of 'clicking', I found your Trepol Bay ?? thread and am enjoying it very much.  It was very much in the days when I could not have imagined being a member of an internet forum, so I missed it first time round.

Rather than cause confusion by sending repeated four years' late 'thank yous', please accept this as a belated composite 'thank you'.

Tickety-tonk.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1029 on: July 20, 2018, 07:59:20 pm »
The enthusiasts' special from Penmayne-Wadebridge-Trepol Bay-Port Perran-Newquay-Truro) is seen here, on the return leg, leaving Cant Cove with the GWS preserved GWR "Manor" hauling the 'failed' 1100 H.P. D.6300 Class plus the 3 BR WR Chocolate & Cream BR Standard coaches.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:58:13 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1030 on: July 20, 2018, 08:04:01 pm »
That is a great photo Chris and have replicated the special really nicely.
I like your foot crossing. I have plenty on Trepol Bay but still need to add a few to Tregonning.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:09:56 pm by port perran »
My Layouts -

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1031 on: July 20, 2018, 09:11:35 pm »
Thanks, Martin. The foot crossings are made from wooden sticks, I think some of the ones you kindly sent me a while ago with the lines (representing wooden sleepers) scored deeply with a sharp pencil using a steel ruler. They were then painted with a specially mixed combination of matt dark brown and matt black to represent creosoted sleepers, I hope. They really need to be dry-brushed with dark grey. However, I won't do that until I've added the remaining walkways and painted them. (And, at present, the model shop is out of Humbrol thinners. I do also use acrylics but prefer enamel paints for most purposes.)

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1032 on: Today at 12:15:19 am »
Martin and Chris - very fine work on replicating the Manor/22 and coaches! You both do these 'trains running from one layout to another' very well!  :D

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1033 on: Today at 04:35:28 am »
Thank you very much, Chris. We do both enjoy setting them up. I keep details of the rolling stock which we both have, as well as others, for 'through' running. I plan to take more such pictures, this summer, particularly as the scenery will be improved to 'frame' the trains better in the landscape.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything