!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 2334 times)

Offline port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2017, 05:14:39 pm »
That is all starting to look very good indeed John.
I love building little cameo scenes into a layout. Those scenes bring the railway to life I think.
I have, so far, resisted a UM dukedog but I really like Colin's engines, I have a 700 Black Motor, a Dean Goods and a T9.
Keep the pictures coming.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2017, 06:56:46 pm »

I have, so far, resisted a UM dukedog but I really like Colin's engines, I have a 700 Black Motor, a Dean Goods and a T9.
Keep the pictures coming.

Thank you, PP.

This might weaken your resistance to a UM 'Dukedog'.  Wasn't the first one named 'Tre Pol and Pen'; ideal for your railway!

Talking of 'Dukedogs', Special Operating Arrangements on the Railway (possibly due to this being Coronation Year, but all very hush-hush) resulted in this Special Working earlier today.  3204 passed the signal box with a longer train than normal for hereabouts.  I understand from High Authority that the Directors have already written to driver Duke thanking him for a job well done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uj8z6i6hfr7ibqn/Dukedog%20Special%20Working.MOV?dl=0

All the very best.

John

PS I've heard of a 'tailchaser' layout, but this is ridiculous!

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2017, 07:05:43 pm »
Lovely angle for the video.
Is that your entire coaching stock?
Certainly impressive haulage there. Great stuff.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2017, 08:26:43 pm »
That looks like the perfect way to demonstrate to your insurers what stock you have :idea:
Very impressive. I don't have any UM locos but will seriously consider the Collett 22xx when it comes out.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2017, 08:29:13 pm »
That looks like the perfect way to demonstrate to your insurers what stock you have :idea:
Very impressive. I don't have any UM locos but will seriously consider the Collett 22xx when it comes out.
Aaaagh....I'd forgotten about the UM 22xx. Oh well, more pennies to save.
My Layouts -

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2017, 08:44:58 pm »
Lovely angle for the video.
Is that your entire coaching stock?
Certainly impressive haulage there. Great stuff.

Not quite all: there is a rumour of a couple of 'blood and custards' from a dozen years in the future lurking about somewhere.

I asked driver Duke about the haulage.  It was only 17 on.  Pretty much light engine for a Union Mills.  Still on the small port on the regulator.  A nice bark from the chimney, though!

Many thanks.

John

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2017, 08:54:19 pm »

NPN, better order it now then.  It's likely to sell out.  I expect that you'll want a BR version.  Mine will be Great Western green but both will be equally attractive.  And should you ever feel the need to pull your house down, you'll have the technology!

But, a warning, once you have one Union Mills locomotive, you are likely to be sending regular cheques to the Isle of Man!  I think of mine as little locomotives rather than models.  And, just like the big ones, they all tend to have their own personalities...

All the very best.

John

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2017, 09:01:21 pm »
Impressive. It's a good job the last coach was going faster than the Dukedog. :doh:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: Yesterday at 08:46:11 pm »
Block Working (Kind Of!), A Siding and Improbable Tunnel

A little bit of progress to report.  The Up and Down lines were wired to have three switchable on/off electrical sections - two block sections and station limits in signalling terminology.  I have made a little switch panel which, hopefully, has a suitably old-fashioned look to it and is far away from modern control panels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3ee8wdhmbuf8dh/Block%20Selector.jpg?dl=0

This allows two trains to operate, one block at a time, on each of the Up and Down lines.  Four trains on a three feet-and-a-bit by two feet oval layout is a bit of a party piece.  In reality, it allows for a spare train to be stabled in the siding and to exchange running with the trains on the Up or Down lines.  The siding is the Table-Top railway's sole concession to a fiddle-yard as it will be used for marshalling trains on the layout.

Earlier, I had experimented with two sidings, but as I am using medium radius (live-'frog') points this reduced the useable siding length of both sidings to less than a locomotive and two carriages which is our standard passenger train formation.  Less, in this case, is more and the single siding takes a full-length train.  Here's what the pointwork (trailing crossover and turnout to the siding) ended up looking like.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ybwnurfdbhazt5z/Points3.jpg?dl=0

Finally, taking 11mm off the length of the straight sections of the running lines had a bonus as the 11mm was at the tunnel end of the oval.  There now is an extra 11mm between the Up line and the baseboard edge which means I can move the tunnel mouths closer together to make Improbable Tunnel more realistic (or less realistic, depending on one's point of view!).  It is now agreeably short and will, hopefully, end up with that glorious train set tunnel (because every train set needs a tunnel) look about it.  Here it is faked up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hl7jqd8927ab5lt/Improbable%20Tunnel.jpg?dl=0

By the way, if this is the first post about the Table-Top railway which you have read, the above will appear odd, to say the least.  I am attempting to capture, in British 'N' gauge, the feel of a train set of fifty-odd years ago which attempted, but failed, to be a model railway.  Which is why a realistic tunnel is less than the length of a locomotive and passenger trains are normally two coaches long!

Thank you very much for looking.

With best wishes.

John

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: Yesterday at 09:29:26 pm »
Thanks for the pics, John. They really do show what you're achieving.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations
Military Vehicle 3D prints

Price: 6.50
Date: 01/08/2017 01:11 pm
Time Left: 13d 11h 4m