!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Durley Valley - Bit of Fun restoration project  (Read 401 times)

Online MARK1985

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26304
  • Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Durley Valley - Bit of Fun restoration project
« on: January 11, 2018, 01:46:07 pm »
  :hellosign:

I picked this little layout up a couple of years back off ebay as a little lot and has just been up in the loft collecting dust. After finishing A  couple little projects over last few weeks I found this again and thought after my bit of practice with the other projects I could have a go at sprucing this up and having this as a little layout for running in etc and just having a general play around with  . The baseboard measures 3ft x 2ft so radius isn't great for larger locos . The 2 points do have motors on them but aren't wired up so not sure if they still work yet and there was also some lighting left behind from I assume was some buildings that were removed from the layout . there is a Metcalfe factory kit that was left on the layout

This is how the layout looks , no changes since it was purchased except I nicked some trees for my boxfile project

now what to do to it  :hmmm:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:10:40 pm by MARK1985 »

Online MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Durley Valley- Bit of Fun restoration project
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 11:21:45 am »
Hi All

Well I've made a rough plan of what i'm intending to do with the layout and destruction of some of the scenery on the board started over the weekend , as you can see the foreman was sleeping on the job and will be in my office today

I've tried to keep anything I've taken off and will see if I can reuse it on the layout . Most of the track has been reused and anything extra is from spares box ive accumulated

can see in this picture the rough plan I marked up and tried laying track to , had slight change on location of point on right hand side

hoping to purchase some wood to construct a frame for it to make it all bit more sturdy , have already got some ply leftover that will be used for a back scene which will hide the basic fiddle yard sidings

here is last picture of overall layout

Mark
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:29:45 am by MARK1985 »

Online MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Durley Valley - Bit of Fun restoration project
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 09:34:31 am »
Little bit of progress last night after getting back from the club , tinned droppers added to the main oval using flux and solder , these will be connected up to a bus wire which I will get a  photo to show once done , soldering gradually got better as I went along . hoping to have all droppers in this evening . As some of you may of noticed I've now Named the layout after the village team I manage and play for . Durley

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:42:08 am by MARK1985 »

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:40:19 am »
Good luck with this. You seem to be making good headway.
I’ll keep an eye open to see how it develops.
Good luck to Durley by the way. Is it football?
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 09:46:14 am »
 :thankyousign: Martin

Yes it is a football team , partly why I enjoy my modelling so much as get's me away from the hustle and bustle

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 10:51:56 am »

Yes it is a football team , partly why I enjoy my modelling so much as get's me away from the hustle and bustle
I played football (both 11 a side and 5 a side) until my early 50s amd thoroughly enjoyed it. Giving up playing was a very, very hard decision to take. In the end, becoming slower and slower, I felt that I couldn’t “ get out of the way so quickly” and was going to get hurt before too long. Enjoy while you can.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 10:57:09 am »
Hi Mark,

Nice little project. Looking forward to your progress.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 11:29:59 am »

I played football (both 11 a side and 5 a side) until my early 50s amd thoroughly enjoyed it. Giving up playing was a very, very hard decision to take. In the end, becoming slower and slower, I felt that I couldn’t “ get out of the way so quickly” and was going to get hurt before too long. Enjoy while you can.

It might be worth seeing if there's a Walking Football team near you. Still all the tactics, skill, exercise and fun, but fewer broken ankles :)

Online MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 12:04:18 pm »
Hi All

Starting to look little bit more organised now underneath ( and that's just the droppers and bus wires done  :goggleeyes: ) all droppers are now in and I have started to attach to the bus wires . once I've soldered these all on I will put electrical tape round so that nothing comes in contact to anything it shouldn't

hopefully should have that done this evening so can then look at locating and wiring the point motors
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:26:56 pm by MARK1985 »

Online MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 08:02:02 pm »
Well first test went ok . Obviously few issues to iron out but was to be expected . Altgough im quite happy after  few days work. Please see video below

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 08:19:05 pm »
Seems to be going well.
I thought you were going to say something at the beginning there...Hmmmmmmm!
My Layouts -

Online Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: Today at 08:43:22 am »

A little word of warning on this as I did exactly the same in my early days of DCC wiring and about 2 years down the line caught a cold so to speak.  One of the opposite wires (black in your case) had somehow become detached and according to a well known law the only place it could end up was touching the exposed soldered connections, took me ages and ages to figure out where my constant short was.  :(   :veryangry:

I now put all my connections into terminal blocks, bought some really meaty ones for the main DCC bus with smaller versions further down the line.   :angel:

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything