!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: On my Pre Grouping (Southern) workbench  (Read 26923 times)

Offline thebrighton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
Re: On my Pre Grouping (Southern) workbench
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2015, 04:53:24 pm »
Greetings,
I forgot to mention that I usually use white Crafty Computer Paper for my transfers but for this latest loco I have used clear paper only because I ran out of white! Inkjet printers don't print very densely hence usually using white. If using clear paper the transfer will literally disappear if it is applied to anything other than a white surface. You may have noticed I initially primed the loco in grey but it has turned white by the time transfers were applied.
Gareth

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2015, 05:35:27 pm »
Hi Gareth,

A hernia operation, ouch! I wish you a speedy recovery.

Loving that little 0-4-0 and thank you for sharing your transfer methods, I'll certainly be giving this a go for some locomotives in the near future!

A question if I may... When using white Crafty Computer Paper, do you find that you get a white lip on the edge of the transfer where the paper shows along the edge? If so, how do you deal with this?

Many thanks

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2015, 05:56:24 pm »

A question if I may... When using white Crafty Computer Paper, do you find that you get a white lip on the edge of the transfer where the paper shows along the edge? If so, how do you deal with this?

I have noticed it occasionally but mainly when I have made the transfer exactly the right size. When trimming the transfer prior to applying it I used to cut along the division of colour but now I make the transfer a fraction to large so make my cuts just inside the colour line. This seems to help. Also all the SECR locos have an outer edge of black on their panels so I always run a bit of black enamel down the edges which covers any white. You need a steadyish hand but I always seal the transfer down first with Klear so if you do go over the lining a quick dab of white spirit/thinners with a clean brush will remove it.
That said on this loco I used clear transfer paper after using white primer on the loco with a coat of Klear to give it a good surface to adhere to. The results appear to be better and definitely no white edge so I may well use the clear paper in future.
My printer is getting on a bit now and doesn't seem to be printing quite so densely so I added a quick wash of SECR green over the panels keeping off the lining.
Results will be published shortly as I'm waiting for paint to dry before a final coat of varnish. Alan (Etched Pixels) is producing some etched number plates for me so not sure when it will be completely finished but in the meantime it may get a set of wrong plates.
Gareth

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2015, 09:19:12 pm »
Greetings,
SECR 313 is just about finished but is carrying incorrect number plates at the moment. It's running quite nicely but could do with some more running in. I had to run off some more transfers as I forgot the ones for the tool boxes. In all the photos I've to hand the spectacles are always open (it must have been hot on the footplate) so I have all mine open. To make them I use etched brass wheels with the spokes removed. In this instance I soldered 0.3mm wire top and bottom so I could glue them in in the open position.

Below is a short video of it running.

http://youtu.be/e1XhK2-MuKw

And for those who like something a bit more modern!

http://youtu.be/iQNQpqwRAWk

And here's Birch Grove just because I had all my ballast wagons on the layout.

http://youtu.be/2xqknPucpPc

Gareth

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2015, 09:37:52 pm »
That is simply outstanding! Well done that man (and built so quickly too!). I just need to find a suitable LNER prototype for my chassis I purchased a few months ago...  :P

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2015, 11:41:03 pm »
I love those dumb ballast wagons! Nicely done.

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2015, 05:09:04 pm »
Greetings,
Just a quick teaser of my next project. The chassis block is from a Farish 94xx, a Farish spare large bogie wheel, 2 of the latest outside crank Farish 08 drivers and a Nigel Lawton motor. The outside cranks have had 1mm removed to make them narrower as the standard 08 won't go past my platforms and the gear replaced.
Any guesses as to what it's going to be? To give you a clue it's on my Southern pre grouping thread ;)

Gareth

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2015, 07:23:50 pm »
That looks interesting! I've got some old pannier tank chassis just dying to be turned into J52s, I've got to source some 4'8 driving wheels with see through spokes first though! Is that an 8mm Lawton motor?

Anyway, back to topic, the only thing that springs to mind would be a Belgravia. But I'd guess that would have larger driving wheels...

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2015, 07:27:44 pm »
It is indeed the 8mm motor and no, not a Belgravia, it's a tank engine................
Gareth

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2015, 07:49:04 pm »
Martley 'F' Class?

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2015, 08:27:42 pm »
So near but yet so far..........
Good guess, the 'F' or Sondes class is very similar but I'm actually making an Aeolus class. For the few of you who are unfamiliar with the LCDR the Martley Sondes were originally a 0-4-0st rebuilt as a 2-4-0t in 1865 and all scrapped by 1909 whilst the Aeolus were a 4-4-0t rebuilt as a 2-4-0t in 1873 and, again, all gone by 1909.
The bodywork is currently a pile of brass off cuts gradually taking shape.
I'm building it on the basis that there is unlikely to be a RTR example any time soon.
Gareth

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
  • 2mm Association Number: 4874
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2015, 09:25:04 pm »
Greetings,
SECR 313 is just about finished but is carrying incorrect number plates at the moment. It's running quite nicely but could do with some more running in. I had to run off some more transfers as I forgot the ones for the tool boxes. In all the photos I've to hand the spectacles are always open (it must have been hot on the footplate) so I have all mine open. To make them I use etched brass wheels with the spokes removed. In this instance I soldered 0.3mm wire top and bottom so I could glue them in in the open position.

Below is a short video of it running.

http://youtu.be/e1XhK2-MuKw

And for those who like something a bit more modern!

http://youtu.be/iQNQpqwRAWk

And here's Birch Grove just because I had all my ballast wagons on the layout.

http://youtu.be/2xqknPucpPc

Gareth

Those locos are stunning!

As for the 3-link couplings........

Most of all, though, I like the cutting on the layout board.

Regards,

Roy

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2015, 09:55:02 am »

As for the 3-link couplings........

Most of all, though, I like the cutting on the layout board.

Cheers Roy,
I don't do a lot of shunting so through freight trains all have 3 link couplings. Bit of a bugger to couple up but look a lot better than the normal N couplers especially as pre grouping stock wasn't very bulky. Looks realistic when the train pulls away aswell.
With regard to the cutting I tried to get it as accurate as possible as it couldn't be hidden under bushes etc as in the late 1890's the line was still fairly new and photos show the banks very bare. Sad I know but the 2 large trees you see above the embankment match photos and OS maps of the time including a kink in the hedge boundary just before it reaches the new railway boundary atop the embankment.
Closed 40 years ago the Cuckoo Line is now a Trail and the embankments are overgrown whilst the occupation bridge has disappeared on a 1929 map.
Gareth

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2015, 10:04:54 pm »
Closed 40 years ago the Cuckoo Line is now a Trail and the embankments are overgrown whilst the occupation bridge has disappeared on a 1929 map.
Gareth

I saw the station name but didn't connect it with the route that I cycled a couple of years back. It certainly has changed, as you can see from these photos: http://www.historyfiles.co.uk/RailwayWalks/Britain/Polegate_Eridge/Polegate_Eridge01.html

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2015, 11:25:54 am »
I saw the station name but didn't connect it with the route that I cycled a couple of years back.

The name is to confuse both you and the fare paying public. The station was Waldron and Horeham Road, Horeham Road and Waldron then finally a complete change of spelling as a village grew up around the station to Horam!
The road bridge, some of the platform and concrete Southern nameboards still exist. The goods yard is a housing estate.
Gareth

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything