!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: On my Pre Grouping (Southern) workbench  (Read 26871 times)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: On my Pre Grouping (Southern) workbench
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2018, 12:51:37 pm »
Just received my E2 print, Shapeways skimping on packaging again ;)

That E2 does look rather nice - or rather the enlarge pictures on Sparkshot's Shapeways shop does! I can't wait to see what you do with it (LBSCR livery I take it). What chassis are you planning to put under it?

I agree with you regarding the packaging. I just wish that Shapeways would use a larger box to better protect the models!  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Offline Newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2018, 01:20:07 pm »
 :laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing: :o

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2018, 04:05:46 pm »
That E2 does look rather nice - or rather the enlarge pictures on Sparkshot's Shapeways shop does! I can't wait to see what you do with it (LBSCR livery I take it). What chassis are you planning to put under it?

It'll be in LBSC lined black, although a bit modern for my other Brighton stock! Chassis will probably be an older Farish GP chassis. They did a cheap run of them that went into starter sets (I think) with plastic bodies with buffers part of the chassis. I picked up a handful for a fiver each a few years ago at the NGS AGM. Correct wheel base and wheel size which are blackened with smaller flanges but motor too bulky so it will be getting replaced.

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2018, 10:15:04 pm »
I had a look at this last week, when I was perusing the W class tank.
As i have both Langley kits for the E2 and the extended tank E2, i wonder how these shape up, given they are designed for the same GP/94xx chassis?
No pun intended.
I think i prefer the adaptability of the whitemetal rather than the grain of the 3D print, but then I am and older modeller, and the E2 was introduced way back when.
I too have the starter set chassis, but i dont have the aversion to the motor that you have.
Bob
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:17:04 pm by Bob G, Reason: Added text »

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2018, 10:47:52 am »
Hi Bob,
I, too, have both those white metal kits but there really is no comparison. They have been around for years and IMHO look their age but there is still a lot to be said for the ruggedness of white metal. They both are compromised to fit the chassis which is why I am looking at cobbling together my own. Regarding the grain of the 3D print I opted for FXD. It costs a little more but has only required the absolute minimum of sanding, far less than the filing of misshapen bits of metal! I have no aversion to the existing motor either, indeed, it runs extremely well and seems a pity to destroy it but its height means the body has to sit to high. IIRC you had to trim a fair bit off the pole pieces anyway to fit the Langley body but it was still too high.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here