!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol 0-6-0 PT's emerging faults  (Read 42860 times)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol 0-6-0 PT's emerging faults
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2014, 04:06:45 pm »
Oh heavens.  It will run forwards when given more than one strong poke and will then only run in surges of fast then slow, stopping regularly. Whilst doing this the motor howls like a banshee.

Sounds identical to the problems I had with the worst of mine - poor pickup, possibly due to loose axle bearings and wheel blackening on the hubs (as well as lubricant) will be the cause.

Noisy motor straight out of the box isn't something to be immediately concerned with as they seem to be - they settle down after some running in. However, sending it back because of the pickups is the way to go.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2014, 06:12:35 pm »
I posted my sole Dapol pannier tank (BR Black Late Crest) to Wickness for DCC conversion and await Douglas's report on its running (as he always tests locos before and after DCC fitting). Even if this one is fine (will be after Douglas's TLC) I won't risk buying another. I have too many Grafar panniers anyway. (I'll be selling some if anyone is interested, please, PM me.)

Offline macwales

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2014, 11:42:34 am »
Hi

I was very angry with myself for not reacting fast enough when these came out to get myself a Great Western lettering one before they all sold out. I was just going to order one now and saw this thread so I have paused.

Have I just got fed up with having to repair new locos or send them back? I wonder. Thanks for all these posts - I will save my cash, after this warning.

The manufacturers have really got to sort out this QC issue regarding running and reliability of new locos (especially steamers).

It would be interesting to see just what percentage of Members locos have survived their first couple of years with no faults.

Cheers

Mac :stop: :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2014, 05:25:16 pm »
I have an untested Dapol 14XX bought secondhand off eBay but am waiting for a new BR design autocoach (pre-ordered from Hattons) before sending both off to Wickness as I will want them permanently coupled with extra pickups on the autocoach. I will then discover what, if anything is wrong with the 14XX and how much it will cost me to have Douglas (if possible) put it right.

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2014, 05:53:35 pm »
I will want them permanently coupled with extra pickups on the autocoach.

To be honest this seems unnecessary - the 14xx has all wheel pickup and the rear pony set is sprung, so stalling is rarely if ever an issue.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2014, 05:56:44 pm »
Can confirm what Dr Al says my 14xx runs perfectly on Peco code 55 track although it is permanently coupled to an autocoach as that is where I have put the sound decoder, the whole lot electricaly driven from the loco wheels.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2014, 05:57:20 pm »
I will want them permanently coupled with extra pickups on the autocoach.

To be honest this seems unnecessary - the 14xx has all wheel pickup and the rear pony set is sprung, so stalling is rarely if ever an issue.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks, Alan. Maybe I'm being over cautious?

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2014, 06:03:48 pm »
Thanks, Alan. Maybe I'm being over cautious?

I would run your stock and then see what the problems are, rather than risking creating them by unnecessary modification....

And the way forward for pickup is to make sure you use electrofrog pointwork.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2014, 06:12:39 pm »
Thanks, Alan. I have already decided on only using Code 55 track and electrofrog points.

So, I'll send the Class 14XX on its own to Wickness, later this year as it is not a priority item in my WTT.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2014, 06:36:50 pm »
This has all been a bit of a sorry tale as far as the Dapol panniers are concerned.
Perhaps I can redress the balance a bit and just say that I have 3 (all from the very first batch) and all perform absolutely fine.  I actually bought the Dapols to replace 2 of the Farish Panniers which I could never get to run smoothly despite taking them back to the shop and replacing them with new ones.
I guess it's just down to good fortune.   My Dapol praries however are a different story (of 3 only 1 performs well)!
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2014, 06:40:29 pm »
The 14xx is one of the better models for pick up by far. The sprung rear axle effectively gives it a partially compensated chassis so it runs well over slightly wobbly trackwork.

They tend to go from 0 to 90mph on a low voltage but with DCC thats much easier to tame as you can set a fairly long speed curve - the real things don't go too fast!

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 07:09:57 pm »
Interesting stuff about the 14xx, I'd always dismissed it as being too small to have decent electrical pickup but I might have to get hold of one.

And I'm another person who hasn't had any problems with either of his Pannier tanks.  I had one of the first batch in unlined black and a second one in lined black (second batch?).  They do seem to run better after a lengthy running in.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2014, 09:20:22 pm »
Very good to read that about the 14XX. Maybe it should move up the DCC-fitting queue?

The more I read about Dapol pannier tanks the more confused I get but the happier I am that I have a surplus of Graham Farish ones to choose from! (Mine is a BR Black Late Crest example; never run by me.)

Now I'm worried about my Dapol prairie tanks but, fortunately, I have a surplus from which to choose from (I will keep the best 4, on Douglas of Wickness's advice, and have those ones DCC-fitted).

ParkeNd

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2014, 11:26:43 pm »
Having had, and still got, one of the first batch of Dapol 57xx pannier tanks which ran quiet, smooth, and even dead slow, straight out of the box, and is perfect today, I reckon that being now on the third livery their have been changes. Some will be non-deliberate like tool wear, and others will be cost reductions like cheaper bits and removed operator checks during production. Other changes will be turn over of staff and additional lines or shifts to meet demand (this model goes out of stock like nobodies business after it's initial rave reviews)

Whatever has happened the BR green loco I had for half a day was not of the same pedigree as the first batch black one.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2014, 06:22:00 am »
It sounds like Dapol really need to get a grip on their Quality Control; not exactly a new management discipline in the wider world!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here