!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol 0-6-0 PT's emerging faults  (Read 42932 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol 0-6-0 PT's emerging faults
« Reply #210 on: November 28, 2014, 12:25:19 pm »
A good read this thread!

I'm now very nervously waiting for a delivery today of a 57xx. It's my first N gauge loco in about 40-42 odd years.

I've made an executive decision; I'll follow the box instructions first and temper that with advice from here about keeping any oiling minimal. I think that is about the smartest move I have available given all that has been said.

I'll run it for a bit and take note of how it behaves. If it lasts a year then great, if it does not then it will become an ornament and serve as a stern reminder not to go anywhere near there again, and then I'll be going back, with a slightly heavy heart, to continental.

To try and be practical, I think with all things you have to give them a chance, but once you have then, for good or ill, that chance has been consumed!

Hope it will be ok...........
I'm sure it will be fine.  I've got three from the initial batch (so what's that 2 years ago or so?) and they all run absolutely perfectly.  And they are run very regularly (2 or 3 times per week at least and for long periods at shows). No problems whatsoever.  Let's hope that yours behaves !
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Ancient Hermit

• Awards
« Reply #211 on: November 28, 2014, 10:55:10 pm »
Well, as far as my eyes can know I lightly oiled it, I did 5 minutes forwards, then 5 in reverse, with 5 mins to settle and cool down.

Then 10 mins in that spirit, and then 15, followed by 30 and lastly 60. Maths is not my strong suit but I think that's about 2 hours or so in each direction, and happy to do more, but not sure how much of that is enough. Anyone got a view on that bit? The last bit was 3 hours and that was a bit tedious, one hour of forward, one of reverse and one of cooling! (felt it was good to make sure it never got too warm.)

I did vary the speed from time to time. I did not try to max it out as the loop is way too tight for that to be sensible.

Anything else I need to try? Should I get some rolling stock involved next? Is it better to get some load on the thing?

Only one area with slight aberration; a somewhat wonky handrail on one side by the cab entrance. I just see it as unique for that, so not too bothered if that is just the price of mechanically sound. Does show that QC is sadly being left to the end user though, and that is not really how it should be.

Got quieter as this all progressed. Nothing particularly of note, tiny tail waggle at times, nothing major.

Seems maybe a safe enough bet then. <shrug>
Cheers,
Ian
Using 100% Kato Unitrack, Kato DC controller, Dapol locos and rolling stock, so far.

Offline JonHarbour

• N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: December 06, 2014, 07:41:33 am »
I've had one of the original batch for about two years and It ran faultlessly until a major short circuit blew the DCC decoder. New decoder and good as new!
Still planning a layout...

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #213 on: December 06, 2014, 01:13:17 pm »
I have 4 in regular use, 3 fitted with sound and one a plain chip and all run perfectly (see the video I've just added to my Claywell thread).  I'm very pleased them, ok I did fettle them to improve the sleeve bearing pickups by cleaning away some of the paint which improved running no end.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: April 08, 2015, 09:45:40 am »
Hi  :)

I'm considering a new Dapol 57xx and have heard the cab has to be removed to fit a DCC chip. 

Is there anyone who can please tell me if the handrails which have to be removed from the cabside are metal or plastic. 

I don't want to wait for the chipped version to arrive, mostly because it may take the item value over the Japanese Import Duty threshold, which the cost of model locos (+ shipping) is fast approaching with the latest increases. 

Thanks in advance,

ten0G

Offline JonHarbour

• N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: April 08, 2015, 10:02:39 am »
They are plastic. You don't need to remove them completely just pull them out of the holes on the cab.
Still planning a layout...

Online longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: December 21, 2016, 11:07:48 pm »
Useful thread as I've just bought a S/H 57xx. There are references herein to a disassembly guide by Caz - can someone post the link please.

Online longbow

• Awards
« Reply #217 on: January 28, 2017, 07:23:37 am »
FYI there is a brief disassembly guide here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64660-dapol-pannier-a-haynes-manual/ and 2mm Association members will find a more detailed guide in the Feb/Mar 2016 Journal.

Offline Geriatrix

• Awards
« Reply #218 on: January 28, 2017, 02:06:37 pm »
This link (with pictures!) on our own forum is also very useful. Although it is really about adding sound, the disassembly instructions are really useful.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=13765.msg137806#msg137806

Online longbow

• Awards
« Reply #219 on: January 28, 2017, 10:01:28 pm »
That was the one I was looking for - thanks for the link!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here