!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hambleside East (was Dunestone) - BR(SR) 60s  (Read 26697 times)

Offline talisman56

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
Hambleside East (was Dunestone) - BR(SR) 60s
« on: December 26, 2013, 04:46:58 pm »
I have acquired a part-finished layout from a former member of the MRC I am a member of. Three 48"x18" baseboards, track laid, wired up and basic scenery. I am hoping to develop it into a port/holiday resort 'somewhere on the south coast between Weymouth and Dover'.

Pictures below taken by previous owner for very comprehensive description sheet for the layout he was trying to sell:

View from fiddle yard end; 'rest of the world' on the left, exchange sidings on the right.

The exchange sidings (explanation later), 'Rest of the world' behind backboard right. There is also a tunnel mouth in the cliff on the right with a bit of 'Z' gauge track as a narrow-gauge railway to a transfer siding right.

The main station throat pointwork on the right, the exchange sidings in the distance.

Fiddle yard and exchange siding end again.

-----

Bought the layout, put it up in my garage.

Overall view (picture cropped to shield sensitive eyes from the other accumulated crud in the garage):

The station end. Station is on the left (note platform in situ). The two long lines in the middle are the goods yard and the single unfinished line on the right runs down the quayside of the harbour - the dropped part of the baseboard far right. The exchange sidings are intended to be where wagons for the quay are dropped off by the BR engine to be picked up by a dedicated dockyard shunter. The spur by the tunnel mouth far left is just the right length for a tank engine and twin push-pull set or a 57' three-set.

Some stock arranged in the platform to demonstrate that I really need to extend it to accomodate my proposed trains...

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 08:25:02 pm by talisman56 »
My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dunestone - BR(SR) 60s
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 05:58:34 pm »
Great - plenty of scope for development I think.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 07:36:46 pm »
Looking forward to see how this progresses :thumbsup:

Offline talisman56

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 10:42:42 pm »
The current motive power available on Dunestone - except where noted, all will be paying works visits to be detailed and weathered:

Dapol LSWR M7 class 0-4-4T no.37 in Southern green - bought 2nd hand from a fellow club member - this one will be making its way to the paint shop to be repainted into BR lined black, and possibly push-pull fitted.

Minitrix BR 2MT 2-6-2T no.41240 in BR lined black - one of my original locos from the 70s - still running well.

Dapol LBSCR A1X 'Terrier' 0-6-0T no.32661 in BR lined black

Farish BR 3MT 2-6-2T no.82041 in BR lined green

Dapol SR Q1 0-6-0 no.33005 in BR black

Farish BR 5MT 4-6-0 no.73158 in BR lined black - another destined for the works to emerge as one of the 73080-89 'Standard Arthurs' as soon as I can get hold of some appropriate name plates

Dapol BR 7MT 'Britannia' 4-6-2 no.70004 "William Shakespeare" in BR lined green

BR Class 08 0-6-0 shunter no.D3729 in BR green (factory weathered)

BR Class 33 Bo-Bo no.D6577 in BR green

BR Class 73 'JA' Bo-Bo no.73 001 in BR Blue - lost a horn unit from the roof of this one (surprise!) - will visit the paint shop to be repainted into original green with grey stripe, and have detailing parts added.

BR Class 73 'JB' Bo-Bo no.E6033 in BR blue - this one will just have detailing parts added and left in ex-works condition.

BR 4CEP EMU no.7105 in original EMU green

BR 4CEP EMU no.7113 in later green with small yellow warning panel

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:59:46 pm by talisman56 »

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0

Offline willintas

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 07:13:41 am »
How does your 3MT Work?-Does it Waddle up the track?

Offline talisman56

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 12:44:01 pm »
 ??? - Works quite smoothly, actually...

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 01:08:18 pm »
Great place to start from Talisman56.  There are a number of Southern and Southern Electric layouts to look for on the forum.

What industry are you going to model through he exchange sidings - being the White Country - I do cement but there are loads more..

Keep us all updated will you??
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 01:24:21 pm »
I agree, an excellent basepoint to develop into whatever you fancy :thumbsup:

Paul

Offline talisman56

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 02:11:28 pm »
Great place to start from Talisman56.  There are a number of Southern and Southern Electric layouts to look for on the forum.

What industry are you going to model through he exchange sidings - being the White Country - I do cement but there are loads more..

Keep us all updated will you??

I'm undecided on what to put in the exchange sidings - I have some PCA cement tankers in the freight stock box but have since discovered that they post-date my time period considerably - pity, as they are excellent models. Looks like I'll need to swap them for some Presflos in due course...

I also have an un-made Metcalfe Brewery kit in the 'kits to make up' bag, so that is another option.

I will be working on the layout from right-to-left, i.e. station, town and harbour, before tackling the exchange siding end to give me some time to decide - you know how it is, you finish something off and someone brings out something that you like even more...

The 3rd rail will only be installed on the platform lines and run-round loop, per prototype. I have a Farish electric substation to fit somewhere, but I feel that prototypically it would be further up the branch, or even the branch would be powered from the nearest main line substation.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 02:35:47 pm by talisman56 »

Offline NeMo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 04:31:31 pm »

BR Class 73 'JA' Bo-Bo no.73 001 in BR Blue - lost a horn unit from the roof of this one (surprise!) - will visit the paint shop to be repainted into original green with grey stripe, and have detailing parts added.

Interested in adding detailing parts to my two 73s... where are you getting them from? What plans do you have to improve these models? I assume you're going to replace one of the bogie frames with the one with a NEM socket?

Thanks!

NeMo

Offline talisman56

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 05:13:01 pm »
Passenger rolling stock for Dunestone:

Farish were very helpful when numbering their Mark 1 vehicles in BR(SR) green - get the right ones and you can make up sets with very little work required - set and vehicle numbers are available on NGS/Modelmaster decal sheets ref. 2415 and 2403:

Mark 1 set 518 - BSK-CK-BSK: one of these was an 'old tooling' model so I replaced it with a renumbered 'new tooling' coach.

Mark 1 set 525 - BSK-CK-BSK (pre-June '62, identical to 518 above) or BSK-SO-CK-CK-SO-BSK (June '62 onwards, as pictured): all new tooling vehicles - second CK is a renumbered vehicle.

My problem set: set 560 - BSK-FK-FK-RFO-Pullman Bar 2nd-SO-BSK: the FKs should be Bulleid FKs (or a Mark 1 CK and a Bulleid FK, depending on which reference source you read) and the Pullman a Bulleid 3rd Kitchen Restaurant from a 290-series 6-set.

The new set, Bulleid 4-set 'N' no 83 - BSK-SK-CK-BSK: I am investigating using Crafty Computer Paper decal sheets and printing my own vehicle numbers to enable the correct numbers to be applied to the coaches - I already have the set numbers from Cambridge Custom Transfers sheet BL32.

Loose stock: 1x BCK, 1x BSK, 5x SK, 1x FO, 1x RMB Mark 1 in green, 1x CK Mark 1 in Red/Cream; 1x SO Bulleid in green; 1x BSK, 1x CK Bulleid in Red/Cream; 2x BTK, 3x SK mainline (old Farish coaches).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 07:00:54 pm by talisman56 »

Offline talisman56

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 05:24:44 pm »

Interested in adding detailing parts to my two 73s... where are you getting them from? What plans do you have to improve these models? I assume you're going to replace one of the bogie frames with the one with a NEM socket?

Thanks!

NeMo

Replacement air-horns from TPM available through the NGS shop (stock permitting) or Ultima - bogie sideframes with NEM pocket from Dapol via DCC Supplies - try and make the underframe equipment look a little less 'boxy'.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 07:04:49 pm by talisman56 »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 02:13:15 am »
Looking forward to following progress on this one!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 02:48:48 pm »
Dapol LSWR M7 class 0-4-4T no.37 in Southern green - bought 2nd hand from a fellow club member - this one will be making its way to the paint shop to be repainted into BR lined black, and possibly push-pull fitted.

Sacrilege! All it needs is some push-pull apparatus fitted and two Maunsell-green non-corridor coaches added and it would be perfect.;)

Good luck with the layout, despite the above. Looking forward to seeing your progress with it.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 05:51:41 pm »
Being a coastal location, one prototypical source of freight traffic would be dredged sand or rocks.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here