!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hambleside East (was Dunestone) - BR(SR) 60s  (Read 26753 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Dunestone - BR(SR) 60s
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2014, 06:34:29 pm »
My first comment and I'm by no means an expert on locoshed track layouts is that (from the photos I've studied of ex-LSWR sheds in North Cornwall and North Devon, throwing out the ash, taking on coal & water were all done on the line outside the shed. In some cases, e,g. Ilfracombe, there was a very short siding off the locoshed line for the wagon were the ash was shovelled in to be taken away for disposal. I'd use the line marked Coal/Water?ash for stabling locos. awaiting their next duty, etc. My second comment would be that, ideally, (and I know you've not got THAT much space) the brewery should have a goods in (loaded wagons for unloading with barley, malt, etc. and / or empty wagons at the loading bay)and a goods out (loaded wagons awaiting collection) siding. Otherwise, to me, it looks a fine plan with plenty of operating possibilities.

Offline talisman56

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2014, 07:05:11 pm »
Thanks for the comments Chris.

My thinking on the Loco shed is that it will be for the Branch engine and local shunters, and probably should have some of the facilities you mention on the line immediately outside the shed. The main facilities on the turntable road are for the visiting 'big engines', mainly to do with turning and watering, but with the facility to 'coal up' should it be necessary. The siding on the other side of the Coal/etc area will be occupied by a couple of loco coal wagons, leaving room for stabling a small/medium loco. With regard to the removal of the accumulated ash, it shouldn't be a big task to shunt a wagon onto one of the roads for a couple of hours so the task can be done. Gives one of the operators something to do... :)

As you say, I haven't got that much space, so the brewery is all on one road. ISTR a brewery site in a similar situation where the single road had a capstan at either end and the vans were rope shunted to get them to where they were required. Either that, or when the time comes for the brewery to be shunted, the vans are placed in the right spots by the shunter...

The Metcalfe kit obviously assumes that the incoming materials are in sacks rather than bulk loose grain (hence the sack hoists on two of the buildings), so I would assume that these would come in in 12T box vans, and the resulting beer in barrels would go out in the 12T vans when they were empty. Were there were special 12T box vans marked 'Ale Van' or are they a figment of Peco's imagination? If there were special vans, what made them special?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:08:06 am by talisman56 »
My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2014, 07:18:42 pm »
If there were special vans, what made them special?

Strong locks I would imagine  :o

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards

Offline talisman56

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2014, 01:50:49 am »
Just a couple of shots showing progress to date.

Aerial shot showing latest trackplan and rough sketching of roadways, etc. The roads are intended as private access roads only so are not as wide as normal public roads...

Bullet bitten, tracklaying has begun!! ...but only after a quick trip to the shop for a Code 55 'Y' point - I would have sworn on a stack of bibles I had one in stock...

Just cutting to size and fitting together dry at the moment, once the track is sorted then the plan will be marked and used as a template for drilling holes for droppers and point motor rods. Then the plan will be removed before the track is reassembled and glued down.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 01:55:30 am by talisman56 »

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2014, 02:44:48 am »
No doubt the 'Y' point is in that "safe place" we all have but can't remember where it is, and will appear next time you are seeking something else :hmmm:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2014, 09:39:38 am »
Thanks for the comments Chris.

My thinking on the Loco shed is that it will be for the Branch engine and local shunters, and probably should have some of the facilities you mention on the line immediately outside the shed. The main facilities on the turntable road are for the visiting 'big engines', mainly to do with turning and watering, but with the facility to 'coal up' should it be necessary. The siding on the other side of the Coal/etc area will be occupied by a couple of loco coal wagons, leaving room for stabling a small/medium loco. With regard to the removal of the accumulated ash, it shouldn't be a big task to shunt a wagon onto one of the roads for a couple of hours so the task can be done. Gives one of the operators something to do... :)

As you say, I haven't got that much space, so the brewery is all on one road. ISTR a brewery site in a similar situation where the single road had a capstan at either end and the vans were rope shunted to get them to where they were required. Either that, or when the time comes for the brewery to be shunted, the vans are placed in the right spots by the shunter...

The Metcalfe kit obviously assumes that the incoming materials are in sacks rather than bulk loose grain (hence the sack hoists on two of the buildings), so I would assume that these would come in in 12T box vans, and the resulting beer in barrels would go out in the 12T vans when they were empty. Were there were special 12T box vans marked 'Ale Van' or are they a figment of Peco's imagination? If there were special vans, what made them special?

Smaller, craft breweries still receive brewing materials in sacks (at least Czech ones do) and I'm pretty sure that would have been normal in the 1960s for a small classic tower brewery like the one the Metcalfe kit represents. So, yes, box vans for incoming sacks would be usual. For shipping the barrels / casks out as the link shows there were a variety of open and closed wagons used and even demountable tanks for a few bigger breweries. As the link shows and someone else posted a while back elsewhere on the forum, redundant meat vans were converted for use as 'ale vans'. (The meat vans being replaced by insulated containers on Conflats.) Having sold two spare meat vans i now have two left which I might convert to 'ale vans'. I'm not sure if the Peco 'ale vans' are prototypical. When the tube wagons come out, conversion to wagons for pallet loads of casks would be quite simple.

On my layout, the (off scene) Castle (Estate) Brewery will use standard open and closed wag but I also have some bulk grain wagons and at least one BR Bulk grain wagon may gain 'Castle Ales' branding! One pub, near Penmayne station, will winch up casks of Castle Ale from an open wagon on a siding below.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2014, 09:41:52 am »
Just a couple of shots showing progress to date.

Aerial shot showing latest trackplan and rough sketching of roadways, etc. The roads are intended as private access roads only so are not as wide as normal public roads...

Bullet bitten, tracklaying has begun!! ...but only after a quick trip to the shop for a Code 55 'Y' point - I would have sworn on a stack of bibles I had one in stock...

Just cutting to size and fitting together dry at the moment, once the track is sorted then the plan will be marked and used as a template for drilling holes for droppers and point motor rods. Then the plan will be removed before the track is reassembled and glued down.

Looking good.

Offline talisman56

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2014, 11:05:02 pm »
Busy trackcutting and fettling...

Aerial shot showing completed formation
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

View from the right, as from centre board

View from the left end of layout

Next, board cutting for the turntables - yes, plural turntables - the Brewery road has acquired a wagon turntable, which will probably be modelled in a disused condition...

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2014, 02:02:44 am »
I think it would be neat if the wagon turntable was operational in some form :hmmm:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2014, 05:59:32 am »
Excellent progress. I look forward to seeing the next stages.

Wasn't there a working wagon turntable made by one of the German manufacturers, Arnold?

I'm only the mailing list of a Japanese model railway shop and they announced the new Katoa working turntable . . . several hundred dollars equivalent!

Offline talisman56

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2014, 08:05:39 am »

I'm only the mailing list of a Japanese model railway shop and they announced the new Katoa working turntable . . . several hundred dollars equivalent!

I'm afraid my 6.45 Peco turntable kit and manual 'Meccano' drive will have to do...   :P   :)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2014, 08:37:43 am »

I'm afraid my 6.45 Peco turntable kit and manual 'Meccano' drive will have to do...   :P   :)

I already have my Peco turntable kit (for the distant future Penmayne layout, bought at a very good price, on eBay, last year) but will be buying the motorising kit which, while expensive, is still rather cheaper than buying the Kato motorised turntable excellent though I'm sure it is!

Offline talisman56

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2014, 09:37:35 pm »
A couple of quick shots - we have holes in the baseboard!

This one for the main loco turntable - A bit of additional strengthening needs to go in before everything is stuck down as I seem to have cut through two of the minor longtitudinal bearers when cutting the hole...

And one for the wagon turntable in the Brewery yard - the hole is a bit on the small side and is a snug fit for the boss on the underside of the mounting plate :) - will still stick it down, though...

Some wood purchasing and fettling next. The loco turntable is all done - apart from the railings on the turning bit. Just awaiting the delivery of the turning mechanism for the underside.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2014, 09:44:40 pm »
Looking good. I'm really looking forward to seeing your working SR turntable as I will have to make one (in the distant future) for Penmayne from a Peco kit I've bought. (I have no plans to buy the motorising kit, yet, though.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 04:08:41 pm by Chris in Prague »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here