Powerbase from DCC Concepts

Started by ScottyStitch, December 18, 2013, 09:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottyStitch

I received the value pack of Powerbase yesterday. There is enough product for 5m/16ft of track and enough magnets for 6 locos (although that will depend on the number of driven bogies, etc.)

I will get a chance to experiment with this system On Friday and so i'll report back then.

In the meantime here are a couple of photos of what you get in the pack and their sizes. That's a standard SD card for scale.

petercharlesfagg

Reading between the lines is it a system whereby there are magnets oriented under the track and another on each locomotive such that the magnetic attraction of each is sequential in assisting the locomotive?

As long as the magnts are fitted under the locomotive in the correct orientation?

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

ScottyStitch

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on December 18, 2013, 10:12:33 AM
Reading between the lines is it a system whereby there are magnets oriented under the track and another on each locomotive such that the magnetic attraction of each is sequential in assisting the locomotive?

As long as the magnts are fitted under the locomotive in the correct orientation?

Regards, Peter.

Not quite Peter.

That's what I thought initially. The plates re not magnets, they are steel, but obviously magnetic. The only magnets are those fitted to underside of the engine, preferably between the driving wheels.

They are neodymium magnets I think, and so quite powerfully. There are YouTube videos showing the OO version in action on 1 in 30 inclines and it appears quite impressive.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: ScottyStitch on December 18, 2013, 10:19:38 AM

Regards, Peter.

Not quite Peter.

That's what I thought initially. The plates re not magnets, they are steel, but obviously magnetic. The only magnets are those fitted to underside of the engine, preferably between the driving wheels.

They are neodymium magnets I think, and so quite powerfully. There are YouTube videos showing the OO version in action on 1 in 30 inclines and it appears quite impressive.

What it is then that down force is applied to the driving wheels to improve contact with the rails.

I do not want to put a damper on your enthusiasm but I feel it could create a few more problems?

My old mechanics brain then starts equating down "force" with increased load on components i.e. drive linkages, motors etc. etc.

It will be interesting to see how things progress?

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

ScottyStitch

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on December 18, 2013, 10:43:46 AM
Quote from: ScottyStitch on December 18, 2013, 10:19:38 AM

Regards, Peter.

Not quite Peter.

What it is then that down force is applied to the driving wheels to improve contact with the rails.

I do not want to put a damper on your enthusiasm but I feel it could create a few more problems?

My old mechanics brain then starts equating down "force" with increased load on components i.e. drive linkages, motors etc. etc.

It will be interesting to see how things progress?

Regards, Peter.

Yes downforce is applied to increase adhesion, traction and reduce wheel slip. In essence it's no different to adding weight to the engine.

DCCDave

Quote from: ScottyStitch on December 18, 2013, 09:55:55 AM
In the meantime here are a couple of photos of what you get in the pack and their sizes. That's a standard SD card for scale.

I assume you planning to use these on your helex(es)? If so does this mean you are adding straight sections to them?

Cheers
Dave

ScottyStitch

Quote from: DCCDave on December 18, 2013, 11:04:51 AM
Quote from: ScottyStitch on December 18, 2013, 09:55:55 AM

I assume you planning to use these on your helex(es)? If so does this mean you are adding straight sections to them?

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave

Yes, they are for the helix. But if they work as advertised I'm hoping to go back to the original idea and make the helix completely circular.

rhysapthomas

Yes I saw a review of this system in a magazine.  Would be very interested in your tests.  I thought it might be useful on small light engines.  My only negative thought at this stage was the interaction with another magnetic system like decouplers but like extra weight it could increase stress on the engine

ScottyStitch

Quote from: rhysapthomas on December 18, 2013, 11:19:44 AM
Yes I saw a review of this system in a magazine.  Would be very interested in your tests.  I thought it might be useful on small light engines.  My only negative thought at this stage was the interaction with another magnetic system like decouplers but like extra weight it could increase stress on the engine

I take it you mean the magnets on the underside of the engine interacting with fixed permanent decoupling magnets?

That is indeed a reasonable question. Not something I'll be able to test at this stage, and on my layout i'm hoping to use electromagnets, but a valid point.

stevieboy

Dumb question (not that there's such thing): Are these likely to affect motor's or decoders?

It's a neat solution to a problem but from an engineering point of view I can't help but think that it's a treatment for a symptom and not the cause.  If un/non/rare/rule 1 justifying-prototypical grade's are used then this is an excellent work-around.

The only concern is that loco's are getting lighter and lighter these day', especially loco drive steamer's, soon we'll need these systems on the flat too.

ScottyStitch

Quote from: stevieboy on December 18, 2013, 01:11:35 PM
Dumb question (not that there's such thing): Are these likely to affect motor's or decoders?

It's a neat solution to a problem but from an engineering point of view I can't help but think that it's a treatment for a symptom and not the cause.  If un/non/rare/rule 1 justifying-prototypical grade's are used then this is an excellent work-around.

The only concern is that loco's are getting lighter and lighter these day', especially loco drive steamer's, soon we'll need these systems on the flat too.

I shouldn't think they would affect the decoders. in most cases the decoder is above the motor, so I'd think far enough away from the powerbase magnet. The motors, I don't know. One just has to hope that the manufacturers have tested it thoroughly before beinging to market, but I would think the magnets are remote enough.

ScottyStitch

It all appears to be academic because the magnets are too bulky to fit under the engine. On Farish 24, the magnet will foul the rails when crossing points, and on the Farish A1, it is so low it actually fouls the sleepers, so much so that the tender does not sit on the rails.

It appears to me, therefore, that DCC concepts did not think this through properly, nor did the test it on sufficient British outline n gauge engines.

I shall be emailing them.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: ScottyStitch on December 20, 2013, 04:37:10 PM
It all appears to be academic because the magnets are too bulky to fit under the engine. On Farish 24, the magnet will foul the rails when crossing points, and on the Farish A1, it is so low it actually fouls the sleepers, so much so that the tender does not sit on the rails.

It appears to me, therefore, that DCC concepts did not think this through properly, nor did the test it on sufficient British outline n gauge engines.

Hi

As far as I can see this is designed for OO/HO not N.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

ScottyStitch

Quote from: PaulCheffus on December 20, 2013, 05:22:45 PM
Quote from: ScottyStitch on December 20, 2013, 04:37:10 PM

Hi

As far as I can see this is designed for OO/HO not N.

Cheers

Paul

DCC Concepts are marketing and selling an N Gauge version. It is marked as such on the packaging. It also costs slightly more because it is 'optimised' for N gauge. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they've tested it, or even trial installed it!

PaulCheffus

Quote from: ScottyStitch on December 20, 2013, 05:27:10 PM
DCC Concepts are marketing and selling an N Gauge version. It is marked as such on the packaging. It also costs slightly more because it is 'optimised' for N gauge. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they've tested it, or even trial installed it!

Hi

Do you have a link as I cannot find that.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26%