!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: "Slippery Sid" - PTFE tube and wire  (Read 1860 times)

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
"Slippery Sid" - PTFE tube and wire
« on: November 30, 2013, 02:29:55 pm »
As has been mentioned in recent posts the excellent "Slippery Sid" wire-in-tube product has gone AWOL.

Referring to the "Slippery Sid" I have left I have found some suitable PTFE 1mm internal dia tube on e-bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111168066224?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I have obtained a test length of this.  The 1mm internal diameter is just the same size as the Slippery Sid, the wall thickness is somewhat greater, but it doesn't seem an issue; still quite easy to bend it to a radius of about 30mm.

The wire seems to be about 0.4mm dia, according to my Vernier callipers.   This would make it about 27 to 28swg.  I don't think the exact diameter is that crucial though.  It just needs to be thin enough to be a really loose fit in the tube and go round tight corners easily.

For the last time for the moment, here is the Horseblock Lane video showing what I'm talking about!

Horesblock Lane first test

Cheers   Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Vanders

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: "Slippery Sid" - PTFE tube and wire
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 11:53:11 pm »
As has been mentioned in recent posts the excellent "Slippery Sid" wire-in-tube product has gone AWOL.

Can you no longer get the wire & PTFE tube from Lytchett Manor Models?

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 12:19:58 pm »

Can you no longer get the wire & PTFE tube from Lytchett Manor Models?

Aaah - interesting!   Their PTFE seems somewhat narrower with a 1mm OD rather than a 1mm ID.  I can't see a reference on the steel wire as to it's diameter, but it seems their system is somewhat finer than "Slippery Sid" - (which is puzzling to me as I don't understand why you would need the cranks.  The beauty of "Slippery Sid" is that you can pretty much run it where you want without cranks). 

The lever frame and individual levers look nice; anyone have any experience of hooking these up to a microswitch for frog power etc?

Anyone used the Lytchett Manaor system (with the PTFE)?

Cheers  Jon  :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 12:35:33 pm by PostModN66, Reason: afterthought »
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline oscar

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18046
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:05:29 pm »

Offline Vanders

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 02:55:20 pm »
Anyone used the Lytchett Manaor system (with the PTFE)?
I am, but I'm only using the wire 'n PTFE tube, not the cranks or levers (mine are servo driven). It works nicely; the only issue I had was that as I was threading the steel wire into the tube, occasionally the end of the wire would "snag" inside the tube and shave off some of the material, leading to it becoming blocked. In all honesty I could probably have avoided that my simply filing down the cut end of the steel wire.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything