!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Overhaul all my Loco's  (Read 8895 times)

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Overhaul all my Loco's
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 06:23:28 pm »
Alan, this is what WD40 I use. I guess you were thinking of the normal blue and yellow can?

It is suitable for cleaning all parts electrical, switches etc. Its non conductive, penetrates quickly leaves no residue also safe on plastics & rubbers (it says on the tin) I got this from Maplins. They also sell their own version, but in a smaller 200mm, this is 400mm and was £7.99.

Hopefully panic over. Cheers, Anthony

Don't use WD40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not good for models....

...IPA is the best solvent cleaner.

Cheers,
Alan
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1992-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 10:16:57 pm »
Back in the 70s when I was modelling 009, I used to think WD-40 was the miracle stuff. It is not. It stuffed up the two narrow gauge locomotives that I owned. I cannot possibly recommend the stuff for use on model railways.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Graham65

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 02:35:48 pm »
I wasn't expecting a answer about oil being Vauxhall oil :D  Does that mean that 3 in 1 oil will do the job?

The bands that came off my steam loco. Where would I get them from?

I asked the question about the rolling road because it was advised to me,  that any new loco you purchase needsrunning in for over an hour in each direction,  but to use a normal DC controller and not DCC. Is this true or can I just run them in on my normal track?

I have no idea what IPa solvent is but I do have some Surgical spirit is that the same sort of thing?

regards

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 03:00:15 pm »
I wasn't expecting a answer about oil being Vauxhall oil :D  Does that mean that 3 in 1 oil will do the job?

I asked the question about the rolling road because it was advised to me,  that any new loco you purchase needsrunning in for over an hour in each direction,  but to use a normal DC controller and not DCC. Is this true or can I just run them in on my normal track?

I have no idea what IPa solvent is but I do have some Surgical spirit is that the same sort of thing?

regards

Who is the manufacturer of the 4MT Steam loco?

If its minitrix search for Lok-Doctor on e-bay. A german sells and responds to England / Engish.
Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Graham65

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 03:07:34 pm »

regards

Who is the manufacturer of the 4MT Steam loco?

If its minitrix search for Lok-Doctor on e-bay. A german sells and responds to England / Engish.
Jerry

The 4MT is by Graham Farish

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 03:12:07 pm »
I was told that 3 in 1 oil was just as bad as WD40, I have some oil called Labelle which is specially designed for models, whatever you get make sure it is specially designed for model locos.

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 03:27:43 pm »
A warning to anyone servicing a GF class 66 - which is, don't run it upside down!  It you do it mashes up the teeth on the gear on top of the gear tower on each bogie.

I found this out the hard way; in a cradle, (the loco that is, not me) running it against a meths-soaked cotton bud to clean the wheels.   Fortunately not too hard to rectify if you have spare gears in stock, just annoying when you forget!

I don't know if this warning applies to any other GF locos - the 66 is the only type I know of.

Cheers   Jon   :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline RussellH

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 08:21:11 pm »
Hi Guys

Not 3 in 1 either.

Just read the container and look for fully synthetic - avoid mineral oil. If it doesn't say synthetic then its not synthetic. We get too picky about oils & their names - Just thick enough not to evaporate and thin enough not to cause drag (not grease).

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
http://www.bridgeburygate.co.uk/

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 09:32:52 pm »
If it's any help I use the Gaugemaster GM619 oiler as it has a needle dropper for precision application. Either that or use a cocktail stick to apply a drop of very light oil.

Offline Graham65

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2013, 10:21:10 pm »
Right guys

I have good and bad news and a confused question.

1/ My DMU that was turning but no movement. Well I took it apart and found that the piece that fits between the motor and the gears had somehow come loose. Re-fitted it, cleaned the gears and how presto it works perfectly.

2/ The Class 47 I got off Ebay. I took the bogies off and found stacks and stacks of not oil but more like greece. I cleaned most of it off. LEft a light coating, put it back together and it works so so much better. Still not up to running speed of my others but a damn sight better.

3/Not so good. The Standard MT4. Went onto the Bachmann website and got the service sheet and there is no sign of any traction bands. I took it apart and then put it back together. The loco works fine until you put coaches on to it and then there is not traction. So I am a bit stumped as to why there was bands in the first place and second why there is no mention on the Bachmann website. Also I noticed that the last set of wheels on the tender sits lower, so the tender is not level. Any idea?

Now for the confused question.

I have a Depol Class 9F. It has been working perfectly, hauling 7 coaches around the layout without a problem. Also been going on a gradient no problem. Then all of a sudden after dinner tonight I go back up into the loft. Start it up and now there is no traction. I've checked the wheels and cleaned them with Surgical Spirit just incase. Placed it back on the track and still the same. I don't understand what could have happened in the space of a couple of hours. Any ideas please

regards

Graham

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 02:04:59 am »
I have a Depol Class 9F. It has been working perfectly, hauling 7 coaches around the layout without a problem. Also been going on a gradient no problem. Then all of a sudden after dinner tonight I go back up into the loft. Start it up and now there is no traction. I've checked the wheels and cleaned them with Surgical Spirit just incase. Placed it back on the track and still the same. I don't understand what could have happened in the space of a couple of hours. Any ideas please

Check that the driveshaft has not become disconnected between tender and loco.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline silly moo

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 03:59:46 am »
The 4MT 2-6-0 does have traction tyres, the exploded diagram is not very good in that respect.

The part number is listed under 'replacement parts available from retailers' on the opposite page. The wheel that takes the tyres has a different profile to the others with a groove for the traction tyre to fit into. If you leave the traction tyres off, the loco won't be able to pull much and the wheels will not be level with the others.

As far as I know all of the newer Farish tender driven locos have traction tyres, some locos have an extra set of spare wheels with tyres to replace the one of the ordinary sets of wheels.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2013, 04:19:08 am »
Yes, now when I think about it, the Minitrix traction-tyred wheels have grooves (or rims on the outside). I've got many with tyres thrown, but they've just been sitting in the drawer 'cos I've never tried chasing up a source for them. This forum has helped change that!

Whilst I drool over all the latest products I think the Minitrix offerings are worth saving. I've always felt that the bodies are not too bad, but basically sat upon German chassis, the wheels look underscale.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 05:16:35 am by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline silly moo

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2013, 04:40:08 am »
I've kept all my Minitrix locos except for the Ivatts which I thought were dreadful performance wise. My big Minitrix Pacifics all run really well which is why I haven't replaced them with newer versions. I know they are not quite right from an appearance point of view but I'm hanging on to them.

I was also quite surprised at the price of Peco Jubilees on eBay.

Offline Graham65

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2013, 11:40:17 am »

Check that the driveshaft has not become disconnected between tender and loco.

Cheers,
Alan

Dr Al

The drivetrain between the Loco and the Tender I've had problems before so I checked this part first. Everything is connected I've just lost traction.  :(

All the wheels are turning

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything