!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills Prince of Wales  (Read 17426 times)

Offline joe cassidy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills Prince of Wales
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2014, 08:34:07 pm »
The link to youtube worked for me, and I enjoyed the review.

Happy New Year to all !

Joe Cassidy
(Happy owner of a UM POW in LMS livery)

Offline Agrippa

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2014, 08:55:11 pm »
Good video!
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Offline scottmitchell74

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2014, 04:33:08 pm »
Help educate the American - why were the Prince of Wales' service runs so relatively short?

Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline Irish Padre

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2014, 04:51:37 pm »
The LNWR express passenger locos disappeared relatively quickly from the LMS rosters for a number of reasons. First of all, the influence of the former Midland Railway was much stronger in the early days of the LMS under Sir Henry Fowler - thus new versions of old Midland types such as the 2Ps and Compounds were produced, whereas the LNWR designs were not taken up. Secondly, the PoW class were not especially efficient, delightful though they were! It was only the advent of WW2 that permitted a few lonely survivors of the Claughton and PoW classes to linger as late as 1947-9.

The LMS was not able to eradicate the old LNWR freight types so easily - especially the Super D 0-8-0. These wonderful old locos were simply so good that they managed to outlast the indifferent replacements that the LMS had designed to supplant them. Thus even in the late 1950s the characteristic asthmatic wheeze of an elderly Super D was a common feature on the London Midland region.

Offline scottmitchell74

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2014, 04:53:29 pm »
Thanks Padre! Just what I was looking for. Thankfully, Rule 1 exists!  :thankyousign: :NGaugersRule:
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline scottmitchell74

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2014, 03:57:54 pm »
Were the Prince of Wales locos strictly passenger service, or did they haul freight as well?

Offline Irish Padre

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2014, 04:38:36 pm »
Originally top link express passenger locos, the advent of new LMS designs meant that the Prince of Wales locos were cascaded down to various other duties including freight by the mid to late 30s.

Offline scottmitchell74

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2014, 04:43:16 pm »
Thanks again!

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2014, 04:48:34 pm »
Good info from IP  ...

I often use wiki as a quick reference guide and get helpful 'starter info' that way. E.g

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNWR_Prince_of_Wales_Class

and then take the search further as and if needed.

Dave G

Offline Irish Padre

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2014, 06:12:18 pm »
Always glad to discuss the LNWR!! Here's a shot illustrating how the Premier Line's express locos fared in later life :

http://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/141-–-chasewaterrailwaymuseum-bits-pieces-from-chasewater-news-autumn-1991-–-part-4-more-sid-browne-memories-–-pete-aldridge/claughton-goods/

Offline scottmitchell74

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2014, 03:48:25 am »
I was curious about the rake of coaches that might be seen behind one of these back in her day...

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2014, 04:13:47 am »
I don't comment on British N gauge much these days but Union Mills is an exception, the new models look great in both liveries.

If only all British N gauge was as powerful and reliable as UM, I may still have been modelling British in stead of American.

Sadly I live in Oz, after having two items vanish into thin air I don't buy online anymore so UM is a no no for me.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Irish Padre

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2014, 06:30:49 am »
I was curious about the rake of coaches that might be seen behind one of these back in her day...

Etched Pixels is your best guide here on what's available in kit form. But you could run some Farish Staniers behind them, as that stock was brought in during the declining years of the POWs. I suspect that the old Farish'generic' coaches in maroon might also look ok........

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2014, 01:19:08 pm »

Probably the better LNWR coaches of the day in most cases. There are two problems with LNWR coaches however

- None RTR, and limited kit choice (50ft non corridor stock, 30'1 six wheelers), and not a lot more in scratch aids

- The livery. It's a set of dark and light colours with fine lines and detail. It's an absolute  :censored: to paint but was a beautiful thing to look at.

I've got a Prince of Wales that needs some coaches too, but so far I've been dealing with the loco - adding extra lining, etching replacement nameplates etc.

For most people (me included most definitely) the right approach for LNWR coaches is almost certainly going to involve pre-printed vinyl sides. I have plans, and a test 3D printed shell on my desk, but nothing will be happening just yet - lots of other projects to finish first.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline talisman56

• N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2014, 02:07:56 pm »

- The livery. It's a set of dark and light colours with fine lines and detail. It's an absolute  :censored: to paint but was a beautiful thing to look at.

Not very unlike a few of the liveries applied to more modern stock ('Dynamic Lines', anyone?)
My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here