!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills Prince of Wales  (Read 17427 times)

Offline msr

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
Union Mills Prince of Wales
« on: October 23, 2013, 10:37:25 am »
Colin's latest loco is the Bowen Cooke Prince of Wales 4-6-0, and a lovely job he has made of it. He is producing these in four versions: LNWR blackberry black "Mark Twain", LMS red "Enchantress", LMS black no name and BR black "Lusitania". I have all but the plain black one since I already have a conversion to 25694 in LMS plain black livery, converted from the Union Mills Holden B12/3 with the tender cut down to represent the Bowen-Cooke style.

Some photos follow, including my converted B12/3 for comparison. The new ones are just calling out for some detailing, with handrails, a bit of weathering (heavy for the BR version), and shortened wires connecting loco with tender.

My personal favourite is the LNWR version which has a lovely contrast between the matt black of the smokebox and the gloss of the boiler, and lining on the tender (unusual for Union Mills models). I think this might be only the second pre-grouping liveried model that Colin has produced (the apple green NER D20 being the first).

Mike

Offline msr

• Awards
Re: Union Mills Prince of Wales
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 10:56:58 am »
Here are the photos:

Mike
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:37:15 am by Sprintex, Reason: Fixed image links »

Offline Paddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 11:50:58 am »
The LNWR version looks great.  Did the tender just have lining - no crest or LNWR?
Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

Offline msr

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 11:57:37 am »
That's correct, Paddy. Here is a closer view which shows the lining, and there is no crest on the tender nor are there any boiler bands lined. The tender and cab lining consists of a pair of lines, the outer one is pale grey and the inner one is red. Here is a web link for more detail, so Colin seems to have chosen a simplified version based on just the thicker bands of lining:
http://www.elegantsteam.com/LNWR%20locomotive%20lining.html

Mike

Mod Note: When posting uploaded images please just paste the "(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
" bit directly into the reply box rather than ussing the 'Insert Image' function :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:41:13 am by Sprintex, Reason: Image link fixed and note added »

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 12:06:44 pm »
Thanks Mike.  Out of interest why did they not brand their locos like the LMS, GWR etc.?

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 12:15:01 pm »
Dribble.... that's christmas sorted (or will be once his phone isn't engaged all the time) and providing its nto engaged with everyone else buying them all first 8)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 01:52:21 pm »
Alan, why not send an email to reserve one until you can get through on the phone.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline mr bachmann

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 04:10:28 pm »
they look great , thanks for sharing ...

alan

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 04:16:43 pm »
I got through in the end 8) Can't see him answering his email while on the phone...
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline PennineWagons

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 08:32:20 pm »
Well, I hope these locos run better than my Union Mills 2F or you gentlemen are going to have wasted your money.
PW
 :unimpressed:
PS Is it just me or does the finish on the LMS red loco make it look like the Triang-Hornby 'Lord Westwood'?

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 08:34:57 pm »
Well, I hope these locos run better than my Union Mills 2F or you gentlemen are going to have wasted your money.

If you've got a bad runner definitely talk to Colin about it. You should be getting excellent running off all but the very earliest models he did many years back.

Alan (with 'several' Union Mills locos)

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 09:09:01 pm »
The LNWR version looks great.  Did the tender just have lining - no crest or LNWR?
Paddy

Agreed Paddy

The LNWR one looks very nice indeed.

Not quite so sure about the livery on the red one.

I have a good number of UM too and am only now having running issues with a very old J39 (15 years). I shan't worry about that unduly though - received my two new Farish ones today - now they are in a different league entirely.

That said Can't ever see Farish doing anything so obscure as a POW and it's great that us N Gauge modellers are so well served by UM in this respect.

Roy

Roy

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 10:02:27 pm »
Paddy
There are photos of LNWR locos in lined livery without the crest on the tender, but they are mostly goods engines (such as the Cauliflower UM produced 3 or 4 years ago though never released in LNWR livery) The lack of lining to the boiler bands is to me the more noticable omission...

Not quite so sure about the livery on the red one.
Not sure if it the model of the photo, but it does look a bit too red rather than dark crimson lake/maroon shade it ought to be. There doesn't look to be the contrast there should be with the bright red of the buffer beam.

I think it will be a black one for me. For late 1920s I have a choice - there were the odd one or two LNWR locos that had escaped the notice of the paint shop and still carried LNWR livery, while others had been done twice into LMS Crimson Lake and again into LMS Black

Offline msr

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 08:20:57 am »
It is the model, not the photo, and the red is indeed rather bright. It is a similar shade to the paint used on the 2P. No doubt some subtle sooty black weathering would tone it down, or a respray if you prefer.

Mike

Offline Gooner1953

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 01:34:28 pm »
Surely one of these would have been spotted in North Devon in the 1950??? Go on...tell me I'm right? Please........  :drool:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything