!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hornby lyddle end east station building  (Read 2588 times)

Offline 1936ace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22564
    • Awards
Hornby lyddle end east station building
« on: October 07, 2013, 11:15:08 am »
Hi all I have the east end station set that I'm using for Barts end. I would like to do a platform awning/roof for the platforms especially the main platform as the excursion trains would probably have a few people waiting and I don't think they would be made to wait in the hot sun or rain.

If anyone could suggest a platform roof that would suit it would be very much appreciated

Thanks Bart

Offline oscar

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18046
    • Awards

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: Hornby lyddle end east station building
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:48:56 pm »
The set is based I believe on Goathland in NER style. I'm not sure there is as such an "appropriate" platform canopy. North Easterners are a hardly lot  ;) as anyone who has seen the Bigg Market in Newcastle can testify

http://www.nigelroake.co.uk/goathland/gallery.html

is a nice guide to the real place.

The NER seems to have favoured overall roofs (eg Scarborough, York, Pickering). The Pickering one was in fact restored a few years ago by the NYMR having been trashed by Brisih Rail before closure.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline 1936ace

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 09:49:28 pm »
Thanks guys for that.

As I model no real place I got these because I thought they looked really good. So much so i got a complete second set for just $30 brand new off ebay.

Sometimes I now wish I did a little more research into what a station would of looked like if it was a country style terminus that handles the big excursion train for those going to holiday camps etc.

Oh well  :doh:

Bart

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 11:54:29 pm »
Scarborough is a fairly good example then. It was the original end of the NYMR which ran on through Pickering.

When the NER did canopies it tended to do them in fairly grand style. The one at Tynemouth (now a metro station) has recently been restored and is positively epic compared with some of the efforts of other companies.

I suppose there are two easy possible ways around it if you want an "authentic" style

- If you are modelling BR or later then add a BR style canopy although its trickier given the lack of walls to attach it

- Perhaps build a trainshed to go at the end of the platform or even as a platform alongside the NER buildings. There are plenty of examples of joint stations or things built by one company and extended by another where the halves simply don't match.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stagedoor/5899779925/#

shows a fairly typical NER canopy

The insides of the NER trainshed roofs are grand things but completely hidden from view in a model, and the top is quite simple so I don't think it would be too hard to make a reasonable representation of a simple one.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline 1936ace

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 10:16:30 am »
thanks Al,

Yes I am doing br period sort of 1967 to 1982 I think the br blue.

The train  shed you mentioned I assume that is the ratio model and when you say br style canopy is that just a plain flat roof or a hip roof awning over the platform

Thanks Bart

Offline Gnep

• N Gauge Society Number: 22806
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 10:24:13 am »
Also worth doing a google image search for "Malton station" - through station with (these days) a single platform but it used to have a wierd truck that slid out for people to cross on to an island platform apparently. Also had an engine shed, pictures of which also come up on a google image search. It's on the line between York and Scarborough, and used to have lines going to Driffield and also to Pickering in the olden days :)

http://www.ryedale.co.uk/ryedale/social/maltonstation/maltonstation.html

I spent every morning there waiting for a train to take me to school in York in the late 80s/early 90s...

It apparently used to have a lot of industrial sidings on the south side, which might make for a good model... It's where the line follows the River Derwent around Huttons Ambo that I think would make a fantastically picturesque model though (as a complete aside!)

George

Offline 1936ace

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 10:27:07 am »
Does anyone know the size of the ratio train shed
Bart

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 10:52:29 am »
Does anyone know the size of the ratio train shed
Bart
If you mean the engine shed it's 90mm long 50mm wide and 70mm tall, if you mean the carriage shed then I can't help as I don't have one !
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 11:00:45 am »
Well I was thinking card - the ratio one is GWR. For an NER example with replacement BR canopies and removed trainshed look at older pictures of Pickering.. pre mid 2000s when the trainshed was rebuilt
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 11:45:11 am by EtchedPixels »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here