!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Northallerton  (Read 66288 times)

Offline Southernboy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Northallerton
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2011, 09:03:13 pm »
This is a layout I seem to have missed, but one to keep an eye on in future: I love the grand scale of it :)

Online 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2011, 09:17:36 pm »
This is a layout I seem to have missed, but one to keep an eye on in future: I love the grand scale of it :)
I could say the same about your layout ! - I followed the link on your post. what an amazing layout you're building !  :thumbsup:
Sorry i hadn't noticed it before  :-[  Can only hope i can do something half as good !  ;D
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Online kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2011, 04:34:17 pm »
I could say the same about your layout ! - I followed the link on your post. what an amazing layout you're building !  :thumbsup:
Sorry i hadn't noticed it before  :-[  Can only hope i can do something half as good !  ;D

And me too! Just don't know how I've missed this.

Amazing stuff..... I'm popping off to the Frankland thread to write some comments...

Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline portland-docks

• N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2011, 05:36:14 pm »
hey mate, i woulda got some fotos for you from the actual site since i have trackside access, but i found out if i did i could get sacked, why i dont know!

but the main thing i think you need to add if you are to make it modern era, is the north side platform, at the north end where the road comes up to the car park, just as it gets to track level and turns right into the car park, there is a gate on the left hand side. that leads trackside. straight through that gate is a small compound with what looks like a container. this is the standby signalling generator. when the mains fails, this powers the 650v signals. might be quite an important feature on a modern era layout.

point heating kiosks on the other hand, there are bloody loads of them haha
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2011, 05:52:36 pm »
hey mate, i woulda got some fotos for you from the actual site since i have trackside access, but i found out if i did i could get sacked, why i dont know!

but the main thing i think you need to add if you are to make it modern era, is the north side platform, at the north end where the road comes up to the car park, just as it gets to track level and turns right into the car park, there is a gate on the left hand side. that leads trackside. straight through that gate is a small compound with what looks like a container. this is the standby signalling generator. when the mains fails, this powers the 650v signals. might be quite an important feature on a modern era layout.

point heating kiosks on the other hand, there are bloody loads of them haha

Do you mean this?

Cheers
Kirky

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline portland-docks

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2011, 05:54:34 pm »
thats it, and the green container is our generator :)

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2011, 06:14:29 pm »
thats it, and the green container is our generator :)

Cheers Portland
Here's  a better shot..... and you'll be pleased to know its definitely been added to the construction list  ;D

Is it about the length of a 20ft container? I think I might have c rail unmade one somewhere that I could have a stab at bashing.

Cheers
K

Offline portland-docks

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2011, 07:08:26 pm »
yeh i think so, it has 2 doors on, the left door containing the generator, the right door leads to the control room.

im actually down northallerton tomorrow, down longlands (the long track the runs track side along the slow goods leading down the incline and loop. got point heating to doooo

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2011, 07:15:50 pm »
Hi Guys
A little bit of an update, just to show thnat we are laying track, albeit fairly slowly at the moment.

This shows the layout from the north end, looking south.

And this is the bit of track which has been laid today - fiddle yard centre running lines:

and from the other end:

There are a pair of points at both ends, with the length being 2 and half boards long, so about twelve feet for that section.

The next two boards will complete the running lines throiugh the fiddle yard. We only then have to connect up to the as yet unlaid main lines on the scenic side and we can play with trains ;D

One dilemma we have; we were planning to cut the tracks bewteen board joints using a dremel and cutting disc. personally, I'm not convinced it cuts thinnly enoiugh. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers
kirky

Offline Oldman

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Grumpy old git who hates sport
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2011, 07:32:59 pm »
Another option to the Dremel may be a Razor Saw
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1095446&_requestid=3375745
probably find one cheaper if you hunt around.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Offline polo2k

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2011, 10:40:27 pm »
A few thoughts in no particular order:
- Keep going, it looks great so far!
- if the gap is bigger than you like then you could consider it an expansion gap
- Dremel make a 90degree adaptor for a proper vertical cut.
- I used a 1:1 hacksaw and despite the larger than ideal gap its fine
- if you really want smaller gaps then see if its possible to shim the boards apart by the width of the blade minus the ideal gap, it will close by the thickness of the shim when removed

oh and:
This is the Gap from a junior hacksaw (painfully slow though!)

This is the gap from a full size hacksaw (32 TPI blade I think)

Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2011, 10:44:09 pm »
Looks good to me. :thumbsup:

Offline grid078

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11150
    • Suffolk and North Essex area group of the N-Gauge Society
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2011, 10:53:01 pm »
Completely agree with Polo2k`s suggestions here, the only thing i would throw in as a word of caution though is, if you make the gap too small they can expand in exhibition halls and cause all sorts of problems with the electrics, mainly "shorts", fortunately our gaps on saneham tey are rather on the large side so we`ve never experienced this problem, but i have heard and witnessed layout operators trying to locate a short on a track join.

Just my two penneth worth.

Stu

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2011, 07:45:21 am »
Hi Guys
Thank for the suggestions. I was thinking a razor saw might be better than the dremel discs.

The problem with the discs seems to be two fold. firstly, if we use a large disc, its difficult to get it to sit square on the spindle, so this has the effect of the disc wobbling as it spins, thus creating a large gap. Secondly, if we use a small disc, the dremel doesn't6 allow us to get close enough to the board to cut at right angles, and therefore we end up with an angled cut.
Polo: I don't think I can shim all the boards apart, we've already soldered down in parts, although that might be possible for some areas, like on the scenic side, so thanks for that idea.

So, does anybody know how thin the thinnest saw is that is available?

Cheers
Kirky

Offline polo2k

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2011, 08:30:54 am »
Secondly, if we use a small disc, the dremel doesn't6 allow us to get close enough to the board to cut at right angles, and therefore we end up with an angled cut.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-575-Right-Attachment-Rotary/dp/B00005AXI0

Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations