!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Northallerton  (Read 67688 times)

Offline polo2k

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Northallerton
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2011, 02:38:18 pm »
looking good! nice to see careful track laying (i.e. the straight centre section on the S bend.)

do you have a deadline yet?
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2011, 03:58:55 pm »
Hi Polo2k
No specific deadline as such. We are about six months in to what is supposed to bne a four year project. Having said that we would like to see something sunning in a couple of months. Track laying will start in earnest in the next week.

That S bend is only down tempoarily, as you can see on the other bit of trtack. However, we are pleased with the results so far.

cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2011, 05:52:04 pm »
Hi Polo2k
No specific deadline as such. We are about six months in to what is supposed to bne a four year project. Having said that we would like to see something sunning in a couple of months.
cheers
Kirky

Something sunning? In  the middle of winter? Methinks Kirky has had the wrong mushrooms for breakfast :smiley-laughing:

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2011, 05:59:49 pm »
Hi Polo2k
No specific deadline as such. We are about six months in to what is supposed to bne a four year project. Having said that we would like to see something sunning in a couple of months.
cheers
Kirky

Something sunning? In  the middle of winter? Methinks Kirky has had the wrong mushrooms for breakfast :smiley-laughing:

Nobby, you've obviously never experienced a Teesside winter - if we can see more than ten feet in front of us, we think its summer :o

Its supposed to say 'running'.

Mushrooms were splendid tho - wibble wibble  :beers:

Kirky

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2011, 08:01:06 pm »
Hi Guys
A few more photos to have a look at. And at the bottom of this post, a vid of the first trial running of a train up the slow incline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYtKM3Pn1ys

We also tested the bank with a Farish 66 and some ad hoc coaches we had lying about, but forgot to film it. doh!

Cheers
Kirky

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2011, 11:42:55 am »
Well done so far! Im glad your test run went well :thumbsup: keep em coming :thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline Flakmunky

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2011, 07:26:13 pm »
Hi,

Northallerton is just down the road from me... I've looked but can't see, what era are you modelling?

Looks great. Wish I had the space for something like this! You'll need binoculars to see the other end!

fM
If you find a post helpful, thank the poster... Up there to the right of their name! :) ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

My BR 1980's Layout Thread

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2011, 09:39:49 pm »
Hi,

Northallerton is just down the road from me... I've looked but can't see, what era are you modelling?

Looks great. Wish I had the space for something like this! You'll need binoculars to see the other end!

fM

Hi Flakmunky

Where do you live fM?
You are right, I haven't actually said what the concept is etc..... that's because this thread started life on another forum but this thread is much more acttive than that one, however, I do update it and that forum hosts my blog. But  :NGF: rools IMHO.

Anyway, I digress; to answer your question here is the original concept proposal (which is on the blog, but not on this thread)

• Northallerton:

The ratioanle for the layout is set out below.

As different as possible from existing club layouts/projects

N gauge; 2mm/ft

Post privatisation Modern image era (although some earlier diesels could also be run)

DCC

Prototypical length trains

'Watching the trains go by' layout

Approx 25ft x 5ft (7500mm x 1400mm, 10 boards at 1500mm x 700mm)

Oval track plan, dual fiddle yard

Min radius: 330 mm (in non viewing areas)

multi-layered open construction

Prototypical layout; based on Northallerton junction/station as it is now.

So, how have we done so far?. Well we're pretty much sticking to plan, except we now have 300 mm curves in some places, but only in non viewing areas.
hope this answers your question.

Cheers
Kirky

Offline Flakmunky

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2011, 10:03:11 pm »
Hi,

I'm in Middleton St. George, Darlington...

We go to Northallerton quite often, along the A167. I've been trying to see where the A167 level crossing is on your plan... And where B&Q is!

Have sat at the A167 crossing whilst *very* long trains have gone by!

Regards,

fM
If you find a post helpful, thank the poster... Up there to the right of their name! :) ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2011, 10:04:45 pm »
Very impressive... :thumbsup:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2011, 10:25:49 pm »
Hi,

I'm in Middleton St. George, Darlington...

We go to Northallerton quite often, along the A167. I've been trying to see where the A167 level crossing is on your plan... And where B&Q is!

Have sat at the A167 crossing whilst *very* long trains have gone by!

Regards,

fM

Hi

On the layout plan, the A167 is the road that goes underneath both platforms (yellow on the plan) and has the pinkish block of flats on the left. In reality I think only one platform goes over the A167, but this is part of the compromise. I have said elsewhere, I think, that if we were to fit the junction in to scale, the model would be twice as long and we would need it to be 20 feet deep, instead of the five foot depth we have. But that's the nature of model railways for you.

As an a aside, I was having a laugh with one of our O gauge modellers tonight. On their new layout, the platform length is probably shorter than the the platform length on Northallerton!

Cheers
Kirky

Offline Flakmunky

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2011, 07:27:09 am »
Right, got you. Just looked at Google Maps... Couldn't figure out your plan as I didn't realise the A167 crosses the railway again! Doh!

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2011, 08:32:07 pm »
A few more photos showing a little more progress.These mainly show the method we are using for board connections; namely small copper clad strips cut to sleeper sizeish (they are actually overly wide.) There is one large piece of copper clad glued onto the wooden track bed and the n the smaller sleeper sized pieces glued to the thick pieces with superglue. This gives the correct height when the sleepers and the plastazote underlay are taken into account. Of course on the non-scenic areas we have not used the sleeper sized copper clad, rather a thicker piece.

I'll try and get some better photos next week, with a little less clutter on the layout. :camera:

Cheers
Kirky

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2011, 08:39:24 pm »
Very neat trackwork, Kirky :thumbsup:

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2011, 08:55:10 pm »
Very neat trackwork, Kirky :thumbsup:
Cheers Nobby, I was pleased with it too. I have to confess tho', it wasn't me that laid most of what you see in the photos.

However, more impressively I think are the dropper connections which are in the first two photos. They are soldered on the underside of the rails making them almost invisible. Believe it or not, that stretch of track has three pairs of connections! Very neat. And again I can't take responsibility

Cheers
Kirky

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything