!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Northallerton  (Read 66287 times)

Online kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Northallerton
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2011, 07:10:28 pm »
Here are some photos of the track going down. Not all the track bed is complete but we need to put the lower level junction down first so that we can get the main line upper level ontop of it.

lower level lines into ramps

The same section of track from the operators side

The boards are split in half to enable the tubby memmbers of aour club to access the track sections they are working on. The lower level cross over section goes in glued down with copydex and held down with map pins.

Obligatory mug shot.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline portland-docks

• N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2011, 07:45:19 pm »
ahem kirky, if you dont mind me saying...i work for network rail in the plant department which involves generators/ point heating etc, and one of our sites is northallerton...please dont forget our point heating on the points please :P

if you need to know where the trainsformers are i will let you know lol, including the kiosk, then i know someones looking after our patch while we aint there haha
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2011, 07:48:23 pm »
ahem kirky, if you dont mind me saying...i work for network rail in the plant department which involves generators/ point heating etc, and one of our sites is northallerton...please dont forget our point heating on the points please :P

if you need to know where the trainsformers are i will let you know lol, including the kiosk, then i know someones looking after our patch while we aint there haha

Hi PD
Nice one, any extra information is absolutely completely useful. Not that I know what point heating looks like......photos??

cheers
Kirky

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline portland-docks

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 08:03:03 pm »
i will try get some photos when im back at work on monday,

but put simply, point heaint are heating element strips that fit to the outside of the rails and the inside of the switch rails (the parts that move), so in cold weather the temperature probes (hot probe underneath where the strips are, cold probe off on an unheated part of track) detects the cold temperature, turns it on and heats up the points, and stops when it reaches a certain temperature.

a precipitation sensor also sits ontop of the supply kiosk so when it rains, it kicks in. but you would have a supply kiosk, and down northallerton, you have two transformers for each set of points. send me the track plan, and i can put on where the kiosks and transformers are (you have no chance of putting on strips lol)

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2011, 08:13:42 pm »
i will try get some photos when im back at work on monday,

but put simply, point heaint are heating element strips that fit to the outside of the rails and the inside of the switch rails (the parts that move), so in cold weather the temperature probes (hot probe underneath where the strips are, cold probe off on an unheated part of track) detects the cold temperature, turns it on and heats up the points, and stops when it reaches a certain temperature.

a precipitation sensor also sits ontop of the supply kiosk so when it rains, it kicks in. but you would have a supply kiosk, and down northallerton, you have two transformers for each set of points. send me the track plan, and i can put on where the kiosks and transformers are (you have no chance of putting on strips lol)
H PD
The track plan is at the beginning of the thread. Or do you want the anyrail original?

I think it might be a challenge to try and put them strips on the blades just to show it can be done  :smiley-laughing:
Cheers
K

Offline portland-docks

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2011, 08:33:04 pm »
whichever format i can use to open it up in paint just to mark where transformers go etc...i will upload a picture of point heating on here for you

and i thought northallerton already was a challenge lol

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2011, 08:49:56 pm »
whichever format i can use to open it up in paint just to mark where transformers go etc...i will upload a picture of point heating on here for you

and i thought northallerton already was a challenge lol

Then right click on the image of the plan and save (assuming you are using windoze)

It is a challenge - a big scary challenge - every time I walk into the club and see it stretching out in front of me it scares the sh*t out of me. Luckily there a few of us tackling it.

cheers
Kirky

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2011, 10:10:38 pm »
That looks great!  I like the shot of the mug to, and good to see some lovely DeWalt power tools. :thumbsup:  My favourite. ;D

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 09:54:06 am »
That looks great!  I like the shot of the mug to, and good to see some lovely DeWalt power tools. :thumbsup:  My favourite. ;D

Cheers Tank.  :thumbsup:

Dewalt power tools: after years spending small amounts on power tools only to burn them out after five minutes... I took the plunge and spent a small fortune on power tools of the yellow variety - they haven't burnt out.......yet ???

Portland:
having had your kind offer of telling me where the transformers are cited, I thought I better take another look at the layout plan that was posted six months ago.... here is an updated version, with some changes.

Cheers
kirky

Offline polo2k

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 10:33:38 am »
Cor Blimey!

Hats off to that man!
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2011, 10:34:36 am »
Same here.  When I bought my first lot of power tools they were all Ferm (the cheap ones from Screwfix), but most of them just didn't last.  It's worth paying more for quality (although I buy mine new on eBay, as they're far cheaper)!!!

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2011, 12:27:27 pm »
Cor Blimey!

Hats off to that man!

cheers mate.... but its men - as Dave mentioned the other day 'there's no I in team'

Kirky

Offline polo2k

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2011, 01:03:08 pm »
Cor Blimey!

Hats off to that man!

cheers mate.... but its men - as Dave mentioned the other day 'there's no I in team'

Kirky

Really?

;D
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2011, 01:17:46 pm »
Cor Blimey!

Hats off to that man!

Kirky

Really?

;D

ROFL ;D

I'll need that when they don't do as they're told!!

Kirky

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2011, 01:53:06 pm »
Update

We have been finishing off and painting the track bed. The track bed has just about been completed. Plastazote has been applied to all track areas bar the siding off the southbound platform. The track bed has begun to be manufactured for the siding and will be completed this week.
Track continues to be laid in various parts of the layout.
Some track lengths have had droppers soldered to them in the middle of the length under the rails. These have been done by John P and Paul and they are good strong joints. One piece of track has been laid like this and the effect is very good, no visible solder joints. We have taken the decision to solder droppers to every separate piece of track, which might be over engineering the wiring but we feel that its very much a belt and braces approach.

The paint we used for the track bed is just an undercoat which seems to have gone on well.

Thios is looking south at ramps to and from the slow lines.

And looking in the other direction with the station area on the high level lines.

And from the south end looking north.

These two photographs showing the real railway and its modelled counterpart.

Cheers
Kirky

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything