!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 23" wide baseboard - what to do?  (Read 484 times)

Offline simonprelude

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
23" wide baseboard - what to do?
« on: September 09, 2013, 01:21:49 pm »
I've got some wood to use as my baseboard from an old wardobe.

After trying to put a basic loop on there using set track (ST-17 No3 Radius Double Curves) I've discovered it's not wide enough.

Are the tighter curves that much different or would flexi track help to give a smoother slightly tighter curve.

Or should I just come up with something else to use for a baseboard :(
I don't want to use multiple pieces of wood as this will be moved around the house and probably left stood upright most of the time.

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
Re: 23" wide baseboard - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 01:27:33 pm »
2nd radius will just fit (st15) but 1st radius would fit easily (st12).
What I've found if that you use 1st radius as a template and run some flexi around the outside which will give a radius of about 9 3/4 inches which will allow most stock to go round without trouble.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Chinahand

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18337
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:42:21 pm »
It also dpends on what trains you plan to run. Some of the larger steam locos will have difficulty getting round 1st radius bends but most diesels and EMUs should be OK. However, 1st radius bends look very unrealistic and most people try to hide them under hills and behind backscenes etc.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline simonprelude

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 01:45:45 pm »
My Minitrix A4 is about the only difficult thing, then it's just the 6 wheeled bogies of the 56 / 58's.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 01:47:27 pm by simonprelude »

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 02:37:03 pm »
You could try fixing some polystyrene foam insulation onto the wood to give a few extra inches, Wickes sell it in 8'x4' sheets of 25mm or 50mm thick cut to suit your board 3 or 4 inch overhang should be Ok, but provide some protection to the edges; 30 inches should give you enough, if you want more overhang then use some hardboard or thin MDF under, as much for protection as support. The Foam won't add much weight so the resultant board should still be portable.

It's not really feasible to use point motors mounted under unless you have planned the locations and dug the holes well in advance of track laying, I personally use wire in tube, easy to cut a channel in the surface for the tube, for points further from the control area then surface nount and hide under buildings, you can always use wire in tube from the motor base plate to the point if you don't want buildings close to track side or if there is one or more tracks between the building and the point.

Cut track bed from cork floor tiles.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £62.00
Above Goal: £7.00
Site Currency: GBP
113% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything