!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Class 70  (Read 3453 times)

Offline stevieboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23784
    • Awards
Class 70
« on: September 09, 2013, 11:12:17 am »
I thought I’d post a review of the Class 70 as there doesn’t appear to be one in this section.

When I first picked up the 2012 Catalogue on my return to the hobby I had originally flagged this model up as ‘do not buy – monstrosity’, largely due to the garish colour-scheme and the ‘face only a mother could love’ looks.  Fast-forward about 12 months and I now site in possession of No. 70003!!!

Why? Well, for me, the Farish Catalogue images are poor, there have been several models now that I have written off, only to change my mind when seeing them in the flesh.  Even SWMBO has commented on this issue too.  However, we both agreed that when we saw the Class 70 at Rails a few months back that it was suddenly promoted to a ‘must have’, the detailing and quality of finish is beyond that of anything, in my opinion, that has been produced to date.

It is fair to say that the ’70 is not without its issues, the new bogie to chassis pick-up arrangement has led to reports of non-runners from the off, but the adjustment is simple.  I had to laugh when we test run No. 70006, as Pete @ rails commented that the model was a much better runner than the real thing, only for the example tested to not budge one bit (proof that the law of sod is still current).  A quick fettle and all was well, however it was 70003 that I was after, and so away I went, new purchase in hand.

From the box the ’70 ran well, all lights working, the starting current was marked on my Bachmannn DC controller (simple pencil line on the dial gauge) and so began the running in procedure.  As with all new purchases, the instructions state the running in procedure of 30 minutes each way without loud, which seems to be the norm for Farish.

However, I like to run them in so that each end gets to go both clockwise and anti-clockwise, so I run my loco’s in as follows:  20 mins End A Clockwise, 20 mins End B Anti-Clockwise, 20 mins End B Clockwise & 20 mins End A Anti-Clockwise.  I doubt that this makes any difference, but I like to think that the mechanism is getting evenly run in.  Following this procedure, the starting current was seen to be lower using the patented ‘pencil mark on the dial’ system.

With most diesels I have also found it useful to run them in again, but with a decent load behind them repeating the aforementioned procedure.  Following this procedure the ’70 was now ready to run and the level of noise was on par with my excellent Class 60 which is the Diesel performance benchmark for me.

As mentioned before, what set’s the ’70 apart is the detail, there is also a handy inclusion of a switch to turn the rear lights off when running with a load (I’m sure the smart one’s amongst us will be able to by-pass this with function control on DCC). 

Haulage really surprised me as I had read that people were finding this to be poor. On my 12" radius curved loop the '70 managed 4m worth of train without a slip, even when starting on curves.

Body removal should be done with care as the buffers are part of the very flexible chassis, two clips at each end hook the chassis to the body. Once off the 6 pin socket is located at the end of the PCB. Interestingly the light contacts are now located on the bodyshell using the tried and tested method of sprung contacts. Re-fitting requires a bit of care, I found it best to attach one end first and then work the other end down, putting it one square felt a little unsafe. There's are also handy arrows on both the bodyshell and PCB incase you get confused as to which end is which. One thing worth noting is that the bogies do not pull out easily or at all as before. I didn't want to prove myself wrong and test this. Removal is best done with the bodyshell off and using a small screwdriver to push the small tabs away from the sockets.

Overall, the ’70 is not a looker, but it has a stance and presence that is different to that of anything else in my collection.  I am not in a position to comment of accuracies or detail errors as I am largely a modeller, but I’m sure that due to the consultation with Freightliner, it’s pretty much all there. 

Overall rating: Excellent

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:37:33 pm by stevieboy »

Online Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
Re: Class 70
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:32:34 am »
Hi Steve,

thanks for your review, I bought nr 2 last weekend at Tings. I have got the other one almost the day it came out and I do agree, they are lovely runners and Mr and Mrs uggly are really eye catchers on my layout.

They are not the strongest engines, despite being quit heavy they have issues with more then 10 x 2 wheelers on my layout, max incline is 2.5 % but on a flat layout they can pull much much more.

As mentioned down to the perfect performance of my 03 I bought 06 as well which has it's run in time yesterday without any issues.

all the compliments to GF for this one.

M.
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Offline stevieboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 23784
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 01:12:29 pm »
 :claphappy:

Happy to report that the '70 is now fitted with a CT Elektronik Decoder and running very well without a hint of smoke or flash-bang!!!

Wasn't sure it was possible for it to run any smoother, but it does, CT Decoder's are something else! :goggleeyes:

Offline StufromEGDL

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • So there's a picture of the real thing like that??
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 02:11:13 pm »
 :confused2:

Hi Gang,

Just been running two Class 70s from two different sources and they BOTH run the opposite direction to all other locos......might have to do a bit of dismantling to turn the motor round.....

Need to find my other two brand new 70s in the stock room to see what they do!!!

Later,
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 03:48:42 pm »
:confused2:

Hi Gang,

Just been running two Class 70s from two different sources and they BOTH run the opposite direction to all other locos......might have to do a bit of dismantling to turn the motor round.....

Need to find my other two brand new 70s in the stock room to see what they do!!!

Later,
Stu from EGDL.

Ugly inside as well as outside then, Stu :P

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:23:22 am »

If you invert the DCC blanking plug it'll have the same effect, without need for a full dismantle.

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline StufromEGDL

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • So there's a picture of the real thing like that??
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 11:27:30 am »
Will give it a go Al.....let you know ASAP.

Just been fiddling...all is now well with the Class 70s....still find it strange that both were wrong within a few weeks of each other from two different sources!!

Regards,
Stu from EGDL.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:16:41 pm by StufromEGDL »
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Offline VoyagerBen

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 09:22:06 pm »
Hi,

I bought a Farish Class 70 last week, this model is incredibly detailed and is a smooth runner.

What I have noticed though, is that the middle wheel set on each bogie sit slightly proud of the track, they do not touch it. When you inspect the wheels for running marks after running it up and down a straight piece of track, there appears to be no marks on the middle wheels but there are marks on the other wheel sets.

Is this unique to my model loco? Can anyone check theirs when they place it on a level piece of straight track and have run it?

Thanks,
Ben
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:18:06 am by VoyagerBen »

Offline Cooper

• N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 10:38:37 pm »
'As mentioned before, what setís the í70 apart is the detail, there is also a handy inclusion of a switch to turn the rear lights off when running with a load (Iím sure the smart oneís amongst us will be able to by-pass this with function control on DCC)'.

Not being a smart one, and possessing only a cheap Farish returns acquired model without any instruction sheet, can you tell me where this switch is please? I've not found it yet!

Offline VoyagerBen

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 09:38:13 am »
Hi Cooper,

If you turn the loco upside down the little switch is on the underside of the fuel tank.

Kind regards,
Ben.

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20957
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
    • My layout photos on Flickr
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 07:44:02 pm »
My thought on the Farish 70 has always been this - how ironic is it that they've picked one of the ugliest locos to make one of their best reproductions! I got one of these when they were first released (70006) and to date has been one of my best performers as well as being an excellent model.

Offline Cooper

• N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 10:05:21 am »
Hi Cooper,

If you turn the loco upside down the little switch is on the underside of the fuel tank.

Kind regards,
Ben.
Thanks Ben! I'd never noticed it before!

Offline scottmitchell74

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 06:56:19 pm »
I'm curious of other experiences with this. Hatton's has them for a good(ish) price right now, and I think they're gorgeous. This thread seems to favor them so far. Who else?
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 07:29:32 pm »
Nice model.

Not as wide, so not as heavy, as a 66 or 60, so can't handle as many wagons. Mine tops out at around 16 HTA's, but that's probably not an issue for many.

Regards,

John P

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 08:51:43 pm »
Probably not, because they never hauled HTAs, HHAs on the other hand... ;)

16 isn't many, shorter than scale length after all. I must say mine's on display and has never actually been used aside from checking it works.

The OP's (old)comment about removing the body with a screwdriver scares me. Finger nails only for me!

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here