!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fisherlea  (Read 22929 times)

Offline gc4946

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
Re: Fisherlea
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2015, 03:00:15 pm »
Work's resumed on the centrepiece of the layout, a 1930s Art Deco office block.

I'm fixing and painting the white plasticard walls before doing the same with the roofs in a different colour.

Both long wings of the building will be made identical. I've yet to design the central atrium section, but will be made in the same style.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2015, 03:21:05 pm »
Ever since you first mentioned your idea of having a a 1930s Art Deco office block I've liked it. I wondered whether you had been inspired by this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_Building

There are plenty of online pictures to inspire you! 8-)

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2015, 04:47:52 pm »
It was the Hoover building that prompted me to include an example of Art Deco architecture.

However, it wasn't the only structure that drew my attention and my example will include details from other similar buildings.

I've yet to decide how much detail I'll include on my building as the level of ornamental decoration varied considerably depending on the architects' whims and original clients' preferences.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2015, 06:46:52 pm »
I've been finding out the feasibility of backdating my running sessions to 1967, the last year of regular Southern Region steam.
My current earliest limit that I can run on Fisherlea is 1976. The corporate "rail alphabet" platform signage used by then first appeared in 1966, but the older Southern green signs didn't disappear for several years after its introduction.

Looking through my collection, I can call upon a Farish Standard 5 4-6-0 73158 and a Poole-era Farish D1662 Isambard Kingdom Brunel in two-tone green.

As well as a small collection of traditional short-wheelbase wagons, I also own a Farish Bulleid open 2nd in green (S1482)

At last weekend's Keighley show, I very nearly bought two Farish (latest tooling) Mk1s, a BCK in blue/grey and a CK in green, but changed my mind.

A Southdown "Queen Mary" Leyland PD3 bus in traditional green & cream colours :thumbsup: would be desirable addition to the street scene.

From reading several sources, by the end of steam in July 1967 it appeared that steam services to and from Portsmouth were limited.
There was an early morning newspaper train from Waterloo via the Direct line, one peak morning passenger service from Portsmouth to Eastleigh timed for workers going to Eastleigh works and a corresponding return just after 1700. In addition there was an empty stock newspaper train formation from Fratton yard to Clapham Junction, and maybe freight services and the odd special as well.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:53:32 pm by gc4946 »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2015, 09:27:01 pm »
I've been finding out the feasibility of backdating my running sessions to 1967, the last year of regular Southern Region steam.
My current earliest limit that I can run on Fisherlea is 1976. The corporate "rail alphabet" platform signage used by then first appeared in 1966, but the older Southern green signs didn't disappear for several years after its introduction.

Looking through my collection, I can call upon a Farish Standard 5 4-6-0 73158 and a Poole-era Farish D1662 Isambard Kingdom Brunel in two-tone green.

I would also venture to suggest the Farish 3MT 2-6-2T as being suitable for empty coaching stock movements :thumbsup:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2015, 09:32:58 pm »
I think both the BR Standard and Ivatt 3MT 2-6-2Ts lasted into 1967 on the SR, plus, maybe the BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4Ts? Certainly rebuilt and unrebuilt Bulleid Light and standard Pacifics did. I think the BR Standard 5MT 4-6-0s did, too? Eastleigh also had a small stud of ex-WR Brush Type 4s on loan but not D1662.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2015, 12:40:27 pm »
D1662 is included in my collection as Brunel was born in Portsmouth.

Steam classes which survived until 9 July 1967 were Bulleid Pacifics (the rebuilt locos vastly outnumbered the surviving original versions), the sole Std 3 2-6-0 (77014), Std 4 2-6-0, Std 4 and 5 4-6-0s, Std 3 and Ivatt 2-6-2Ts, Std 4 2-6-4Ts and USA 0-6-0Ts.

I don't want to own too much stock to represent the situation during July 1967, but my preferred choices are a Standard 4 tank and a class 33. My preference is for steam loco types which are preserved.

Both new toolings of the 33 and Std 4 tank haven't been released yet. However if I wanted these locos  sooner, I could have bought used Farish models, but I've already owned such stuff in the past and would like to evaluate the new products instead.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2015, 04:36:54 pm »
Many thanks for that update. I have only been researching what ran in North Cornwall; however, it is useful to know what else was still running on the SR. I have a BR Green Class 33 and 3 BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4Ts, all relatively old Graham Farish but checked / overhauled / repaired by Bob at BRLines so that they are as good as new and the Class 33 and the best 2-6-4T have already been DCC-fitted by Wickness. For me they are better value than what will, inevitably, be far more expensive (albeit better detailed) new tooling models. I also have two far more recent Ivatt 2-6-2Ts and one BR Standard 2-6-2T (they tended to stick to the Bude line). I have a similar fleet of 'as good as new' Graham Farish Bulleid Light Pacifics.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2015, 07:27:12 pm »
I've bought a Farish Mk1 BSK in blue/grey and Bulleid composite in green to go with S1482S, the second open. Strictly speaking the CK should have the yellow band applied over the first class section.

Platform and loop lengths dictate the length of the formation - these images show the longest possible trains I can comfortably fit on Fisherlea.

This has 5MT 73158 leading (73155 of that batch survived at Guildford shed until 9 July 1967)

The other image has D1662 Isambard Kingdom Brunel on the same train.

Inspiration was based on a rather grainy photo taken by Michael G. Harvey and published in his book "Diary of a train spotter", volume 2 (Silver Link, 1996) showing 80016 hauling a 3-coach rake in Portsmouth during the last week of Southern Region steam which consisted of a blue/grey Mk1 BSK, a Bulleid CK and another Bulleid? brake 2nd.

A colour photo of the same carriage formation appeared in a recent Ian Allan publication, the title of which eludes me, but hasn't appeared online in any form.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:46:11 am by gc4946, Reason: Reloaded photos - moved to new album on Media file »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2015, 09:09:37 pm »
Unfortunately, I cannot see the two pictures.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2015, 09:39:03 pm »
Unfortunately, I cannot see the two pictures.

I don't know what went wrong, but I've deleted the original photos off the media file and uploaded them again, hope this works.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2015, 09:49:39 pm »
They're fine now :thumbsup:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2015, 10:28:25 am »
Alas, they are still not working for me: "Duplicate headers received from server"
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:47:44 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Amended. »

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2015, 10:52:17 am »
Alas, they are still not working for me.

Having followed the tutorial (correctly?) I've moved both recent photos to a new media file, as I was also starting to realise my photos needed reorganising. Whilst doing that I encountered a 503 system error.
Apologies for a brief interruption whilst this was done.

I haven't changed any default settings on the new album, hopefully this should be resolved.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2015, 11:02:50 am »
Sorry; still the same error message.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00