!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tangmere  (Read 166 times)

dannyboy, Mark, barneyadi and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
Tangmere
« on: Yesterday at 03:10:02 pm »
So with my Scottish layout having had its track bed lay, the hot weather stalled it. It is still there ready to go but went to my local auction last week and a picture caught my eye. The auction was Saturday and I won the picture.

Two things caught my eye on the picture. Firstly, of course, the Hurricaine aircraft. But the other thing that caught my eye was the railway station and village layout. It just speaks to me. The line is single with a passing place at the station and two sidings. I know it probably doesnt excite everybody but the whole village area is just the thing i was looking for. Not the most exciting trackplan but if i am going to do the picture justice i think i have to look at the plan as an overrall view.

Now to decide if 8x4 or 10x4 will work best.

Any views/opinions always appreciated. Will sort out a trackplan soon.

Dave

Offline Drakken

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Tangmere
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 03:15:15 pm »
I'd think it would make a lovely scene to model, Plenty to keep you interested in the layout from viewing and enough variant when modelling it. It would definitely have to be expanded on for track work but maybe see if there are any more picture's by the same artist depicting the same setting for idea :beers:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:33:21 pm »
Looks to be a project with potential.
It’ll require a lot of work and dedication to replicate that scene but it’ll look good if you can pull it off.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:15:20 pm »
I'd think it would make a lovely scene to model, Plenty to keep you interested in the layout from viewing and enough variant when modelling it. It would definitely have to be expanded on for track work but maybe see if there are any more picture's by the same artist depicting the same setting for idea :beers:

Their artist concentrates on aircraft and cant find any other pictures of the same area. Although I understand the trackwork expansion idea not sure it is best way to go. It will be a home layout so only myself to please.

Looks to be a project with potential.
It’ll require a lot of work and dedication to replicate that scene but it’ll look good if you can pull it off.

Just want to do the scene justice, so wont be an exact replica of it but want to catch the majority of the feel, if that makes sense.

Dave

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 07:37:54 pm »
Sorry but as soon as I saw this I immediately thought:

“501 are down at Tangmere, they couldn’t get in at Biggin”

:D

Superb picture!

Skyline2uk

Online barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 07:50:23 pm »
Sorry but as soon as I saw this I immediately thought:

“501 are down at Tangmere, they couldn’t get in at Biggin”

:D

Superb picture!

Skyline2uk

I did think that as well. Strangely there doesn't seem to have been a railway station at Tangmere, wonder what village the artist used to paint?

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:06:18 pm »
 :hmmm:

I wonder?

Maybe a look at the maps (starting with Google) to see where the nearest railway is? I appreciate that Beaching might have removed a lot, but could be a starter for 10?

Skyline2uk

Online JimSan

• Really need more sleep
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 10:25:29 pm »
Using this site here, can have a look at Ordnance survey maps to show things before any lines got closed.

Think the 25 inch 1892-1914 map shows a fair deal as also shows which lines were single or double tracked, where as the later ones generally just show there's a line there but not exactly where the rails lay.

Unfortunately though Tangmere's closest station is Chicester, which even before the time period depicted in the picture doesn't match up.

Offline Fardap

• N Gauge Society Number: 26027
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Today at 09:09:39 am »
Ah I had spent some time on Google Earth looking for a Railway Arms as it is pictured the closest I came to a similar layout but with a bridge not a crossing was south of Petworth (Heath End) disused station now a B&B but it doesn't fit exactly...

Offline Fardap

• N Gauge Society Number: 26027
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Today at 09:25:49 am »
There is a lot of information about the artist Nicolas Trudgian on his website and some lovely paintings...  This bit however is pertinent on many levels!!!!

Since 1991 Nick and Ruth have lived in the Cotswold hills in Gloucestershire in a house built in the corner of what was once a Battle of Britain airfield. How fitting it is to be painting on the very spot where Spitfires and Hurricanes once roared into battle. Having mostly reverted to farmland there are few clues to its wartime past but an old air-raid shelter in the garden provided Nick with an unusual opportunity. Built upon this shelter and also occupying a fair proportion of the remainder of their garden Nick has constructed a huge model railway. Powered by real steam and with radio-control the trains traverse a miniature mountain landscape with fir trees and waterfalls and numerous bridges and tunnels.
When he is not in the garden 'playing with trains' it's the aeroplane paintings and drawings that occupy most of his time.

https://www.nicolastrudgian.com/profile.php

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: Today at 02:08:52 pm »
Having very little railway knowledge, but some research ability and plenty of time on my hands, I have spent a very happy morning rummaging around Google and learning a great deal about railways in Sussex.

While I haven't been able to find a perfect match for the station in the painting - which probably doesn't exist (artist's licence and all that) - but I did come up with some clues. For me, the really striking bit of architecture was the porch at the front of the station, which seems to be highly indicative of stations on the LB&SCR and certainly those preserved on the Bluebell line. Here's a pic of Kingscote Station:

Stations at Horsted Keynes and Sheffield Park are virtually identical. Compared to the station in the painting, the building has been flipped horizontally but otherwise seems a pretty good match.

Other architectural details - the footbridge, platform waiting room, signal box, etc, also seem a good match for the LB&SCR.

Having said that, I'm not sure it matters much. It seems to my ignorant eye that the painting provides a pretty perfect design for a layout - a simple trackplan and all the scenic detail you need.

PS: As a railway modeller, he'd likely respond to a friendly email query - there's a contact form on his website.

Online barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: Today at 07:03:08 pm »
Thanks for all the great replies. A varied plethora of information is always helpful and the bluebell line buildings similarity does make sense. Have dropped the artist an email so hopefully he will get back to me.
Was trying to identify the train, is marked Southern 1836 in the picture although a quick search hasn't helped me find out, a more thorough one is needed.

Thanks.

Dave

Online JimSan

• Really need more sleep
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: Today at 07:08:55 pm »
I come to the same conclusion at first Dave, but if you go with engine 836, it would match up with a S15 engine with a six wheel tender (as shown in the picture) and was about on ex-LBSCR lines which does match how the station is in the picture.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything