!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Thurstaston British Rail  (Read 381 times)

Offline JBM37404

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Thurstaston British Rail
« on: January 11, 2018, 02:15:30 pm »
Hello all, its with great delight my modelling mojo is returning at a steady rate. Following a direction in the change of my career I have permission from Control for an 8 x 2 foot N gauge project. My last plan Monks Ferry 1990 is on the planning radar but is a long time off due to the costs in the hobby now preventing me from purchasing much stock after my previous models were sold.

Location will be a what if based on Thurstaston on the Wirral still being open. Its now part of the Wirral country park which I often visit. My rule 1 sees its still open and part of a line from West Kirby to Hooton. BR a la Hooton has not been able to extend the 3rd rail past Thursaston and as such services from Liverpool terminate here for DMUs to serve Hooton, Chester and beyond. Freight for Birkenhead Docks passes through and Cement from Hope sidings and Fuel from Stanlow arrives and is unloaded in the sidings. Era will be circa 1990 but will possibly save up for a Grafar 40 to switch clock back a few years when the mood takes.

Track plan is an oval with 2 platforms and some sidings for a Cement terminal and small fuel depot. Also from the Left hand side the track will be 3rd rail electrified and non electrified going to the right.

Track will be code 55 and DCC control will be used.

Stock will be gained at a steady rate and first on the workbench is an N-Train 507 3 car kit Blue Grey with a Tomytec Chassis now arrived from Japan.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:20:44 pm by JBM37404 »

Offline Delboy

• Awards
Re: Thurstaston British Rail
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 02:37:10 pm »
Hi JMB37404,
I will look forward with interest how your layout progresses. I live in North Wales right opposite Thurstaston near Holywell and, looking out across the Dee estuary towards the Wirral, can see the cliffs from my window. I too have been known to frequent the Country Park on occasions.
Good luck.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 02:37:27 pm »
Good to know your mojo is back and that planning is taking place :)
Any chance you could negotiate a 2ft 6in wide space with 'Control' as it would allow a better radius of curve?

Offline JBM37404

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 03:05:25 pm »
Any chance you could negotiate a 2ft 6in wide space with 'Control' as it would allow a better radius of curve?

Curves will be hidden at each end as the prototype is straight with bridges for the scenic break. Hidden Curves will take the trains to the fiddle yard space at rear.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 04:09:31 pm »

Curves will be hidden at each end as the prototype is straight with bridges for the scenic break. Hidden Curves will take the trains to the fiddle yard space at rear.

I agree completely with NPN about a 2'6"width if you possibly can.  This means that you can have reasonable curve radii and still have some space between the edge of the curve and the baseboard edge.  It's also a reasonable width to reach across if things need to be fiddled with in the fiddle yard.

All the best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here