!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Deansmoor: Post-privatisation layout with catenary, on a door  (Read 67569 times)

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Testing.....testing.....my first post and it seems very complicated!

I thought I would start a thread about my new layout, "Deansmoor".  Some of you may recognise the name - the plan won third prize in the NGS "Layout on a door" competition.

I am putting the plan into action - in fact, I already started to build the layout many years ago, in the mid 90s, so I am dusting the project off, re-doing things that I now feel differently about and trying to get it finished.

The plan provides for a double-track electrified main line with a single diesel line running above it.  I actually got as far as laying the track and installing the catenary all those years ago; which of course predates Dapol masts so was all scratch built from brass wire and sections.  The idea is that it is full working, in the sense that the pans run on the wire (not collecting current from it) and to make the wire look realistically thin, is tensioned as per full size.  At the time Farish had just released their class 87 and 90 (not sure which was first), so that was the catalyst.

Since the layout is built on a door it will fit into the exhibition frame I built for my "Lofthole Oil Terminal" layout.  Anyway, here is the plan, as published in the Journal....

And here is a shot of the track in its current sad state with the wires drooping pathetically.  The elastic bands that kept it taught probably perished in around 1997!

More soon - I will take photos of the progress and upload them if anyone is interested!   Cheers  Jon
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Deansmoor: Post-privatisation layout with catenary, on a door
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 04:23:27 pm »
Hello Jon and welcome to the forum.

You have managed to post pictures which is probably what you found complicated, a few people do.

The picture of your layout looks very realistic and I wish you every success in getting it completed.

cheers John.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 04:51:21 pm »
Hi Jon,

That's a great little plan - simple but flowing :thumbsup:
Have you ever not wanted to connect the upper level to the lower somehow?
That's a brave stab at catenary, and hopefully you can repair any missing bits. I know nothing about N gauge electric locos - are the pans tensioned so they would 'ride' the catenary?

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 05:09:03 pm »
Hi Mick....or Nobby!

Not the first time I have been asked that!   The idea behind the plan was the old singled Midland line that ran through Cheadle Heath, near where I used to live in Stockport.  The only traffic was a pair of class 37s pulling the old vacuum braked ICI hoppers.  The electrified line is the WCML which was 86s, 87s and 90s, so they seemed like completely different worlds, so it never occurred to me to link them.

My plan of course extends the idea to include a DMU service and cement terminal for greater operational interest.  Here is a clip of the train I remember on the Midland:

Class 37 37426 & 37520 ICI Hoppers 96 (full version)

Most electric N gauge models have a sprung pan - the Dapol ones also have a screw that I believe allows you to adjust the height, though this is just my understanding as I haven't run any yet.  The problem with the Farish ones is that the spring is quite fierce, so the tension in the catenary needs to be high to prevent unrealistic deflection - either that or find a way of softening the spring.   The Kato Eurostar - which will run on Deansmoor, as I have a very slim excuse (a few ran to Manchester as a regional Eurostar test) - doesn't have a sprung one.

I should be OK getting the catenary back into operation.  The main challenge is that I will have to replace all the wires as some have snapped.

Thanks for your interest.....more later!

Jon
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 07:09:06 pm »
Posting like a demon today........

Here is the latest, weather not suitable for going for a bike ride, so took the opportunity to sand down all the green gloss paint applied to the layout all those years ago.   My taste now runs to magnolia (from watching too many property programmes:

Finished off the front control panel. The layout as originally designed didn't have any provision for signalling, but my current approach is for the signalling to be reasonably realistic, and operated from the front giving an opportunity for audience participation (though my experience with Lofthole is that people are often quite shy!)  So the front panel is supposed to look roughly like a proper signal box diagram and include all the important elements, though not interlocking unfortunately.   Signals will be by CR signals, a mixture of kits and ready made (thanks Paul!)

When a train is approaching a buzzer will sound, and the appropriate indicator will light, signifying a passenger (stopping) , goods (through) train or a shunt into the siding, up or down.  The signaller at the front then has to set up for the approaching train.  In real life the train code would be shown.
The trains will be driven by the person behind the layout.  Let's for the sake of argument call him Neal (although if female could be called Debbie).  Without a clear view of the signals it would be tricky, so I have provided an indicator diagram at the back of the layout, inspired by a recent visit to Bletchley power box, just before closure.   The indicator shows the route set for a down train.  The wiring needs tidying up a bit!

Trying to get all the wiring done so I can do scenery with a clear conscience!

Cheers for now -  :)
Jon

Offline Southernboy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 08:48:48 pm »
Very neat idea - I like that.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 08:56:37 pm »

Thanks for your interest.....more later!

Jon

Cheers for that, Jon :thumbsup:
My interest stems from seeing the transition of steam > diesel > electric at Wolverton on what is now known as the WCML, and the relative rarity of seeing the 'knitting' on an N gauge layout :goggleeyes:

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 09:12:08 pm »
Aah Wolverton,  I have been known to ride there on my bike on the basis that if I came over all wobbly I could get the train back to Berko where I live!   Something based on Wolverton would make a neat model, with the works, the canal and the track that dives down and under to access the works.

Yes - proper catenary is rare in N, and where it is done often the wires are the Somerfeldt brass ones which are very overscale, or not shown at all like on Drem and Law junction.  The best I have seen was on an Italian (I think) layout, set next to a lake where the wires were very fine, still not tensioned though.    When I had the idea it was very novel, less so since Dapol brought out their masts. :(

Cheers    Jon    :)

Offline Cooper

• N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 10:08:54 pm »
I really like this track plan!

The work looks very neat. The two lines seem to naturally work separately, and to try and join them will only lead to other compromises.

The control system looks intriguing, can you explain more how it works? Will there be a 'Drivers Assistant' for the back room staff to run all those lines and indicate the trains?

Neal  :wave:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:36:34 pm by Cooper »

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 10:53:08 pm »
Thanks Neal - neatness is the aim!

Now when railwaymen say "will there be an assistant" some people might think it might be an opening gambit for higher pay  ;D   

Actually there will probably be an assistant - until they get bored and wander off to look at other exhibits in the exhibition! (For the benefit of other forum members, Neal is more than likely to be the backroom staff member in question, having worked miracles to keep a steady supply of varied and interesting trains moving through "Lofthole" at many exhibitions  :)

More explanation will be forthcoming when I finish the main control panel.

Cheers

Jon

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 03:13:35 pm »
Part of the re-work needed on Deansmoor was to modify the point actuation, which was Peco motors mounted traditionally clipped under the points.  I no longer believe in this approach; a maintenance nightmare, so I whipped them both up, made good the surface and arranged remote actuation through wire in tube.   Unfortunately I then removed the little springs as I had a bright idea that didn't come off, so needed to buy new points  :doh:

Here they are in situ.  The things that look like quarries to the left are the cavities for the plug attaching the control panel, and the relocated point motors.

Here is a close-up of the new point motor installation in a new hole carved out of the foam:

Looks a bit of a mess - need to tidy it up a bit.

Next job is ballasting - but before that a quick test run:

Deansmoor Test Run before ballasting

Au revoir!   Jon     :)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 05:15:40 pm »
Shame your self latching idea didn't come off but, hey ho, at least all is working :thumbsup:

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 06:09:10 pm »
Here's another bit that's working!  Got the level crossing barriers connected up for the first time today  :)

Deansmoor Level Crossing - working!

They aren't quite that noisy in real life - it's a Fulgurex point motor operating them.   I need to work on the end point a bit - they don't go down quite far enough!

Cheers

Jon 

Offline Cooper

• N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 09:59:18 pm »
Thanks Neal - neatness is the aim!

Now when railwaymen say "will there be an assistant" some people might think it might be an opening gambit for higher pay  ;D   

Actually there will probably be an assistant - until they get bored and wander off to look at other exhibits in the exhibition! (For the benefit of other forum members, Neal is more than likely to be the backroom staff member in question, having worked miracles to keep a steady supply of varied and interesting trains moving through "Lofthole" at many exhibitions  :)

More explanation will be forthcoming when I finish the main control panel.

Cheers

Jon

There'll be pay?!  :goggleeyes:

Neal

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 10:35:07 pm »
Double what it was last year!  :claphappy:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything