!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Diesels Poor build quality  (Read 2681 times)

Offline StuartM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18933
  • 2mm Association Number: 4575
    • stuartmoore-modelrailways
    • Awards
Dapol Diesels Poor build quality
« on: June 15, 2013, 02:47:42 pm »
In the last 18months or so I have purchased the following Dapol products...
Class 121 Bubble car             86.00
Class 121 Bubble car dummy 40.00
Class 35   Hymek                  78.00
Class 43   HST                      124.00
Class 26                               78.00
Class 27                               86.00
Class 22                               95.00
                            Postage    40  inc returns
                            Total        627.00

And every single one of them arrived with some sort of fault!
Mainly non-working lights but also some poor running issues.
The powered bubble car was returned for poor running repair, Dapol said it was my fault
The dummy Bubble car arrived with the lights working one end only, I fixed this.
The Hymek, again poor running, again I fixed by taking apart and cleaning the brass contacts and wheels.
The class 26 none working lights, in one direction
I returned the HST for a refund due to none working lights.
The class 27 arrived with non-working lights which I sent back for a replacement which  lasted 6months before going up in a puff of smoke, the replacement for this also went up in a puff of smoke straight out of the box, this time I returned the loco for a refund.
The class 22 poor running took it apart and cleaned all the contacts and dirty wheels.

And before anyone asks, my GraFar locos all run absolutely fine, the new mechanisms in the class 03,14,24,47 are wonderfully smooth and controllable even with straight dc

I have spoken to a number of people within the hobby and the general agreement seems to be that Dapol do make beautiful locomotives, but although the mouldings are excellent, the mechanisms and assembly seems to leave a lot to be desired. Also attempts to give constructive feedback seem to be met with denial and contempt.
I praise Dapol for making the models I want to buy, but I can't afford to spend money on something with such poor build quality and as such I am going to cancel the rest of my pre orders and confine myself to buying from GraFar I might miss out on the new green class 22, the 33's and the 50 but My patience has finally ended until such time as Dapol improve their reliability and attitude.

Online Only Me

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Cambridgeshire & Northants NGS Area Group
    • My 3D Shop - Class 128 Gloucester Parcels
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Diesels Poor build quality
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 03:00:07 pm »
The lights on my 122 are ok in one direction but very dim in the other ...

Couldnt be bothered to send back for repair!

WINNER IN THE N GAUGE SOCIETY ANNUAL MODEL MAKING COMPETITION 2014
Vardalu Shield, Multiple Unit Trophy, The N Gauge Society Supreme Trophy

Offline Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 03:26:12 pm »
Stuart,

I do agree till a certain point, I have also a serious amount of Dapol locs and indeed a few of them have issues. I have decided to stop buying them online and only if I can see them running on forehand I will buy them.

best regards

M.
Nunc semper, dum est tempus, ne sit amet

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 03:55:08 pm »
I have one Dapol Class 66 - The old non DCC ready version.  It was a brilliant runner straight from the box.  I have had it converted to DCC - its now an even better runner.  At slow speed it aces the Farish versions (I have 2). 

I also have a Dapol class 73 - again a great runner straight out of the box.  Its not yet been converted to DCC but will be. 

I am looking for another Freightiner Dapol Class 66 (for its slow speed capability) and another Class 73 both of which will be converted to DCC...

Maybe I was just lucky...  I cannot get to the shop and have to get everything through mail order so that is not an option...

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:56:44 pm by Greybeema »
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline anselm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20354
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 05:15:24 pm »
And not just the diesels.  I bought a 9F in Bournemouth last month and it failed after 45 minutes of slow running in.  Dapol and DCC Supplies (their repairers) claim it failed because the wrong oil was used and the warranty is therefore invalidated.  They are mistaken; I used the standard Expo light oil.  Letter on its way to Joel Bright, the MD.

Ian   :'(

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 05:48:10 pm »
my hst, 56, 58s x2 and 121 all work very nicely so far so very happy with the new dapol products i have got. i actually feel happier with them than the farish locos i have got new. i think there is just an element of luck involved in all this.

tim

Offline Pete Mc

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 06:04:34 pm »
I have found that with my hst's,as you point out that they don't run very well from the box,mine ran beautifully.It was only when I put a sound decoder in one of the dummy power cars did I start to get problems.The powered cars also gave me trouble as well.

The problem is down to the chemically blackened wheels at the manufacturing stage.What I found is that although the wheel treads are nice and clean,the pin point pickups and axle ends aren't.It would appear that someone either hasn't cleaned up these bits or no one knew to.I stripped the wheels out of the bogies and gave them a good clean with a glassfibre pen and it improved the current collection to the point where there are no flickering lights,even on the dummy power cars.I expect the same might occur with my class 56's and 58.My 121 bubblecar and 156 sorintwr dmu have been completely fine on dcc sound though so it might just be down to euther certain loco's or certain batches of stock.

Pete
 :Class31: :Class37: :NGaugersRule:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Offline 4x2

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 06:36:30 pm »
my hst, 56, 58s x2 and 121 all work very nicely so far so very happy with the new dapol products i have got. i actually feel happier with them than the farish locos i have got new. i think there is just an element of luck involved in all this.

tim
You shouldn't have to rely on luck on a 100+ loco... :no:

I've found both Farish and Dapol have had issues lately, seems to me the desire to bring the costs down and make more profit is more important than getting it 'right'. What doesn't help are the modellers who don't complain about poor running but have a major winge if a few rivets are missing...! :smackedface:

It's been said before, and i'll say it again... If the likes of Kato, Atlas, Fleischmann, Arnold etc can produce superb runners that don't even need running in - why oh, why oh, why can't the big UK manufacturers even get close ?
I have had many good loco's from both Farish and Dapol so please don't add hundreds of posts about how great your loco's are and how reliable they are - I know !  But there are far too many failures out there for this day and age, and I certainly don't feel like i'm getting value for money...

My verdict - They must try harder :telloff:

That's my ten pence worth for today.... :-X
My Layout - Black Sheep Lane (build by forum member 'Elvinley') Now owned by me - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4291.0

If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 06:50:10 pm »
I've a green Class 22 on order with Cheltenham Model Centre and I hope that it'll be 100% when I eventually get delivery.

I'll report back.

Dave G

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 06:59:56 pm »
And not just the diesels.  I bought a 9F in Bournemouth last month and it failed after 45 minutes of slow running in.  Dapol and DCC Supplies (their repairers) claim it failed because the wrong oil was used and the warranty is therefore invalidated.  They are mistaken; I used the standard Expo light oil.  Letter on its way to Joel Bright, the MD.

Ian   :'(

Hi Ian

That is truly shocking, I for one would certainly kick up a massive fuss and not leave it there. 

If you bought it from a local Retailer I would have said your recourse should be to them. Assuming oiled in accordance with the instructions, if the product failed after only 45 minutes then surely it cannot be described as "fit for the purpose  for which it was sold" and as such then it should have been replaced or money refunded by them. I do not believe you were obliged to agree to it being returned to DCC Supplies for repair - the additional warranty Dapol provided is over and above any Statutory Rights you have - perhaps others can confirm?

I would suggest you contact Dave Jones of Dapol to try and sort this out, in my dealings with him he has never been anything other than helpful.

Regards

Roy

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 08:10:05 pm »
Supplies for repair - the additional warranty Dapol provided is over and above any Statutory Rights you have - perhaps others can confirm?

Correct. In fact by law an additional warranty must also state that fact to avoid vendors trying to bamboozle customers out of their rights.

If it's faulty you have a right of return for replacement or repair with the vendor. It's basically a two year warranty and its always there. It doesn't cover normal wear and tear or stupidity, so if you ran it for 18 hours a day for a year on an exhibition layout and it wore out you wouldn't expect to be covered nor if you dropped it. On the other hand it should be fit for purpose - so running for a week and dying is not fit for purpose 8)

The vendor is also responsible for the return postage costs of a faulty item. That's something a lot of vendors know perfectly well and try and avoid paying unless "reminded".

If your vendor kicks up a fuss then your next stop is your card vendor/bank. That tends to focus the vendors mind if they are being silly or trying to deny their duties.

Also note that while Dapol can invalidate their warranty they can't invalidate the statuatory one so if you believe it was not fit for purpose then what Dapol's warranty repairers think is irrelevant to whether you can go back to the shop and complain. (Short of it ending up in a small claims court at least)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Pete Mc

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 11:11:09 pm »
Yes,I have discovered that Farish stuff is not immune to manufacturing defects either within the mechanism.

Whilst having a few Farish loco's in bits for dcc sound installation,I have found faults with 3 loco's in relation to the pickups.These are all problems that relate to poor assembly or poor attention to detail.A Farish/Modelzone RTC class 24 with the little brass strips that sit above the bogies in the chassis that are either not positioned correctly or damaged due to ham fistedness,oil all over the pickup wipers meaning they have to work like windscreen wipers on a wet screen before the thing'll run halfway decent and in order to sort them out,nothing but a rebuild is needed.

Thats ok on a model thats out of warranty,not on a new one,but as both Farish and Dapol make them with detachable bogies its easy for us to clean them and make them run properly but once again,why should we do that?

Pete
 :Class31: :Class37: :NGaugersRule:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:15:40 pm by Sprintex, Reason: fixed errant quote »
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Offline DonH

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 12:12:09 am »
In the last 18months or so I have purchased the following Dapol products...
Class 121 Bubble car             86.00
Class 121 Bubble car dummy 40.00
Class 35   Hymek                  78.00
Class 43   HST                      124.00
Class 26                               78.00
Class 27                               86.00
Class 22                               95.00
                            Postage    40  inc returns
                            Total        627.00

And every single one of them arrived with some sort of fault!
Mainly non-working lights but also some poor running issues.
The powered bubble car was returned for poor running repair, Dapol said it was my fault
The dummy Bubble car arrived with the lights working one end only, I fixed this.
The Hymek, again poor running, again I fixed by taking apart and cleaning the brass contacts and wheels.
The class 26 none working lights, in one direction
I returned the HST for a refund due to none working lights.
The class 27 arrived with non-working lights which I sent back for a replacement which  lasted 6months before going up in a puff of smoke, the replacement for this also went up in a puff of smoke straight out of the box, this time I returned the loco for a refund.
The class 22 poor running took it apart and cleaned all the contacts and dirty wheels.

And before anyone asks, my GraFar locos all run absolutely fine, the new mechanisms in the class 03,14,24,47 are wonderfully smooth and controllable even with straight dc

I have spoken to a number of people within the hobby and the general agreement seems to be that Dapol do make beautiful locomotives, but although the mouldings are excellent, the mechanisms and assembly seems to leave a lot to be desired. Also attempts to give constructive feedback seem to be met with denial and contempt.
I praise Dapol for making the models I want to buy, but I can't afford to spend money on something with such poor build quality and as such I am going to cancel the rest of my pre orders and confine myself to buying from GraFar I might miss out on the new green class 22, the 33's and the 50 but My patience has finally ended until such time as Dapol improve their reliability and attitude.

Sounds like my experience with Farish (not that some of my dapols have not had issues).

Offline Norfolkrover

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 06:00:08 am »
Agree with the op.never had problems with my farish and fleischmanns  but i have had to return several dapols. That said they have been replaced without quibble as the warrenty said within days although at least one could arguabley be down to user error.so in summary to me buying a dapol is not a risk.

Online dodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 12791
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 08:40:50 am »
Poor quality pick-ups and blackened wheels have been a feature of all my Dapol locos when new since 2005. Even replacements are just as bad. Fortunately all are now good runners after cleaning, adjustment and wearing through the blackening. However most are running on about 50% operational pickups.

My view Dapol only fit pickups to all wheels as they know not all will work correctly.

dodger

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Above Goal: £19.00
Site Currency: GBP
135% 
July Donations