!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Graham Farish Mk2a Coaches  (Read 12561 times)

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: Graham Farish Mk2a Coaches
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2016, 11:14:32 am »
Oooh, glad I'm not going crazy, I only just noticed the height difference on these, which stands out particularly with the Farish 50, which seems to ride a little high (but not enough to really notice with Mk1 coaches).

Has anyone been able to adjust the height somehow, e.g. with slightly larger wheels?
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2016, 01:30:38 pm »
I'm glad you noticed RS,

I felt like I was bleating about the height issue and no one else could see it!

I just can't work out where the height issue comes from but the more I look at them the more it bugs me..

The good thing is they match the Dapol Mk3 height wise so is it the Mk1 that is too tall???

Cheers
Mark

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2016, 10:52:56 pm »
Hmm, I'll have to start comparing more systematically with various coaches...

I've been collecting various stock but don't really have anywhere to run it, anyway I was in a BR Blue mood and put the Mk2s on the bit of layout I have, plonked the 50 in front and it just looked wrong. I initially suspected the 50 might be a bit overscale, as it's an older Farish model, while it does seem it could benefit with lowering the body a bit it looks OK next to a recent Mk1, but the Mk1 is still definitely taller than the Mk2.

On a brief comparison of Mk1 and Mk2 the obvious difference is that the Mk2 wheels are distinctly smaller than on the Mk1 - I don't know enough about BR coach wheel diameters to tell whether that's prototypical, but I'm sorely tempted to see if I can find some slightly larger wheels and see what difference they make.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline BernardTPM

• N Gauge Society Number: 3490
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2016, 11:46:18 pm »
On a brief comparison of Mk1 and Mk2 the obvious difference is that the Mk2 wheels are distinctly smaller than on the Mk1 - I don't know enough about BR coach wheel diameters to tell whether that's prototypical, but I'm sorely tempted to see if I can find some slightly larger wheels and see what difference they make.

It is prototypical, though the smaller wheel size (3 foot, against 3' 6" used on earlier types of bogie) is also found on all B4 bogies, even when used under Mk.1s.  All Mk.2s were built with B4 bogies.

Offline crepello

• N Gauge Society Number: 3956
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2016, 11:31:00 am »
Looks like you've cracked it. I assume you used a 0.5mm washer on top of the bogies; can you tell me your source of these please.

Offline CaleyDave

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2017, 05:02:52 pm »
Hello All,

I was wondering if any one had any experience backdating the Farish MK2A to a MK2z/original production run?

I believe the difference between the Farish produced MK2A and a MK2z are the the brake equipment on the underside and the gangway/corridor door (Mk1 style rather than folding).

How easy is it to disassemble the coach and remove the door for replacement or modification?
(The nice image on page 8 of the Farish 2017 catalogue suggests the corridor doors are a separate)

Thanks.

Offline BernardTPM

• N Gauge Society Number: 3490
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2017, 05:34:06 pm »
I assume you mean Mk.2, Z is part of the TOPS code referring to Mk.2 (though as they used 1 for Mk.1s it seems odd they didn't use 2!). Yes, the main visible difference is the end gangway doors which were the sliding type (painted light grey) like Mk.1s. Internally the toilets were to late Mk.1 pattern and some were vacuum only brakes.
There were, of course, some Mk.2 First Corridors built in 1963-64 that were in Maroon and Green liveries. These had slightly different windows with four part sliding vents. Before that there was the one-off prototype (W13252) though that differed even more in having Mk.1 size windows and a slightly different profile (they used the jigs for the Swindon DMU bodies) and standard MK.1 interior fittings throughout.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything