!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Graham Farish Mk2a Coaches  (Read 12560 times)

Offline Guy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Graham Farish Mk2a Coaches
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 09:50:32 pm »
I received my rake of 7 Mk2s on the 8th June. (2 x Firsts, 4 x TSOs and a BSO) All are fine except the BSO which has derailed a few times and also "wobbled" through points.

I'll definitely be having a look at the wheel settings etc on the BSO.

Considering the large hikes in price of coaches (and locos and wagons) over the last couple of years (hugely above the rate of inflation), you'd have thought that quality of assembly would be more assured....

Offline SD35

• N Gauge Society Number: 12663
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 10:26:07 pm »
I missed them from Hattons as I blinked twice.  :laugh:

I picked them up from C&M in Carlisle instead who were kicking them out at the same price as Hattons and had plenty in stock.  For the sake of balance they've had a right good run and were all in tip top condition out of the box.

I thought the numbers on the TSOs were printed a little too high on the bodyside but comparing it to pictures in "British Rail Mark 2 Coaches" it seems that the position varied and is therefore acceptable.

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 11:28:31 pm »
According to ehattons they have more than 10 in stock of each.

Cheers

Mark

Offline 1977joey

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 12:32:23 pm »
A quick update on the Mk2a saga..

I had a thorough check of all 3 coaches and found the following:-

TSO-floor moulding pushed in too far.
        3 out of 4 wheelsets not sat in axle boxes which caused the bogies to bend like a banana.

BSO-all 4 wheelsets not in axle boxes.
       one bogie mounting pin inserted at an angle causing the clip part to fold over and jam in the socket.

FK- 3 wheelsets not in axle boxes.
      floor moulding pushed too far in.
      Glazing not seated properly at top of windows
      Bogie mounting pin clip bent back and jammed in socket

Most of the above was sorted by just clipping the parts in place properly. I had to warm the bogies in hot water to get the axles seated properly but that also took the bowing out which was good. The bogie mounting pins have a retaining clip at the top which is inserted into the socket in the coach, these seem very fragile and are easily bent over as the pin is inserted. I managed to rescue mine but I can see people will need spare pins.
Now all 3 coaches ride at a much better height and are free running too.

I think Farish need to look at the way these coaches are assembled in the factory. These are good models being let down by poor assembly.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

I noticed on a few of my Mark 2a's that the windows weren't seated flush with the coach bodies, especially towards the top. Are they easy to dismantle & fix?

Cheers,
Mark

Offline scruff

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 01:12:18 pm »
Dead easy, the chassis part pulls out of the body and interior is clipped to the chassis. There may be some glue on the glazing though.

Hope that helps Mark

Cheers

Mark

Offline Fratton

• N Gauge Society Number: 23974
  • 2mm Association Number: 4766
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 01:18:17 pm »
Dead easy, the chassis part pulls out of the body and interior is clipped to the chassis. There may be some glue on the glazing though.

Hope that helps Mark

Cheers

Mark

yes i second this when i dismantled them there was just the right amount of glue,,,, (some of the mk1's have an amazing amount of glue holding the glazing)

speaking of which it's all back together and finished with painting (bar cantrail on roof gutter)

Charlie.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+29)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 01:30:59 pm »
How much, and what's your paypal address?! :smiley-laughing:

Offline Mike W

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21456
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 02:51:35 pm »
Ditto! Great work.

Offline Fratton

• N Gauge Society Number: 23974
  • 2mm Association Number: 4766
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 04:30:52 pm »
  :laughabovepost:   My lad goes to school in September leaving me some extra time on my hands during the day, I'm thinking of doing a few for sale on the fleabay and some for sale on the NGF after then, gonna stock up on Phoenix and fox transfers first over the summer, maybe speak to them about some mk1 and mark2 number sets as putting numbers on 1 by 1 is a pain!!!
Charlie.

Offline Shaun Harvey

• N Gauge Society Number: 22486
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 04:34:01 pm »
I missed them from Hattons as I blinked twice.  :laugh:

I picked them up from C&M in Carlisle instead who were kicking them out at the same price as Hattons and had plenty in stock.  For the sake of balance they've had a right good run and were all in tip top condition out of the box.

I thought the numbers on the TSOs were printed a little too high on the bodyside but comparing it to pictures in "British Rail Mark 2 Coaches" it seems that the position varied and is therefore acceptable.

I just had to look at one of my as it didn't run free at all. The wheels really do need to sit in the boggies with much more refinement than just a hole in the molding.

Offline AndyGif

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14644
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 06:54:59 pm »
  :laughabovepost:   My lad goes to school in September leaving me some extra time on my hands during the day, I'm thinking of doing a few for sale on the fleabay and some for sale on the NGF after then, gonna stock up on Phoenix and fox transfers first over the summer, maybe speak to them about some mk1 and mark2 number sets as putting numbers on 1 by 1 is a pain!!!
Would be nice to get sheets of completed regional numbers.
My little boy starts school in September too,  but I doubt I'll get any benefit From it

Offline 1977joey

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 07:00:36 pm »

Hope that helps Mark

Cheers

Mark

Great stuff, cheers for your help Mark  :thankyousign:

All the best,
Mark

Offline Leo1961

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 11:28:06 pm »
My 2 cents worth from my latest delivery of coaches,

Mk 1
374-085 4 out of 5 coaches not RTR, 5 axles needed realigning
374-164 3 out of 10 coaches not RTR, 3 axles needed realigning
374-188 3 coaches all RTR
374-258B 4 coaches all RTR

So 7 out of 22 coaches were not Ready-To-Run straight from the box

Mk 2
374-680 4 out of 4 coaches not RTR, 5 axles needed realigning
374-702B 2 coaches, both RTR
374-710 6 out of 10 coaches not RTR, 9 axles needed realigning
374-950 10 coaches, all RTR

So 10 out of 26 coaches were not Ready-To-Run straight from the box

Offline H

• grahamehedges
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 06:42:00 am »

Whilst axles not being properly installed/aligned is a poor showing, it's not a difficult job to nudge them in to the correct postion and I don't find it a big issue. Consequently I wouldn't exactly say that such a problem makes them not RTR products.

And, of course, you can never be quite sure that you haven't knocked them out of alignment when removing from the packing or handling, or even that it didn't occur in transit/post. Oddly, I've not found the issue to be so prevalent - less than 1% of all rolling stock that I've ever purchased. None of the six Mk2s I recently got had the problem. Maybe I'm lucky.

H.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:43:34 am by H »

Offline Leo1961

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 10:14:49 am »

Whilst axles not being properly installed/aligned is a poor showing, it's not a difficult job to nudge them in to the correct postion and I don't find it a big issue. Consequently I wouldn't exactly say that such a problem makes them not RTR products.

And, of course, you can never be quite sure that you haven't knocked them out of alignment when removing from the packing or handling, or even that it didn't occur in transit/post. Oddly, I've not found the issue to be so prevalent - less than 1% of all rolling stock that I've ever purchased. None of the six Mk2s I recently got had the problem. Maybe I'm lucky.

H.

Just a couple of points,

1) I never claimed it to be a big issue, I was just reporting my findings.  ;)

Prior to this thread I would never have even thought to record the statistics.

2) I can guarantee that they were not knocked out of position during unpacking them.

You could actually see that some of the axles weren't seated properly whilst they were still in the box.  :worried:

Perhaps it was just one worker who was having a bad day?  Were they all built on Friday afternoon just before home time?  No one will ever know, but these were my findings  8)

I don't consider this to be a big deal, I was merely adding my findings to the forum, I will leave it to others to make their own minds up.   :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything