!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Hall  (Read 22162 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Hall
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2011, 09:37:43 am »
Thanks for a really interesting and comprehensive post, especially as you have offered solutions to the problems :thumbsup:
I'm sure this will help everyone who is considering or has bought this loco. :)

Offline GrahamB

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2011, 12:02:02 pm »
I picked up my Hall from the Dapol stand at the International N Gauge show yesterday. At £85 it was rude not to.

It's a good runner and "those wheels" don't look so bad when it's on the layout.

However, my example will not take 9" radius curves so be warned. It now means I've got to relay my test track. It runs fine on the layout.

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2011, 01:54:08 pm »
I have just taken a CD marker (like an OHP pen) to the wheels on my Dapol Hall and the improvement is significant. The good thing about this is that if you do not like the finish then it can be removed with a dab of meths.

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2011, 04:16:01 pm »
A vast improvement but can the same be done to the motion? I have too many kettles with bright shiny motion (as per my avatar) ::)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2011, 05:47:41 pm »
A vast improvement but can the same be done to the motion? I have too many kettles with bright shiny motion (as per my avatar) ::)

To be honest the motion looks ok for a loco ex-works. Except for the black plastic overscale crosshead which I felt it necessary to address on my loco.

Any locos with too shiny a valve gear can be toned down simply with a  wash of thinned black paint. I've found it possible to match the blackening on Farish models doing this (one Crab I bought s/hand was missing a rod and I only had an original English production replacement, but after painting you'd never know).

Best Regards,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2011, 06:37:25 pm »
I don't see why not. On the Hall I think it looks OK, having motions lighter than the wheels is fine for an ex-works loco. But if you have older farish models with bright silver motions then this could be an easy way to improve them.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

MTSI Rail

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2011, 07:55:34 pm »
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It has helped me to finally decide about buying a Hall - on balance of what I've read, Dapol won't be getting my custom. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: For what has to be done to make it presentable it just isn't worth the money unless they really start to knock them out like they had to with the B1. Anyway, I'm not a great GWR fan  ::) ::) - it was only to reflect the daily incursion on my GC main line based project which is still  to get beyond the bare baseboard state! I can quite well manage without a Hall - another Farish B1 would be more appropriate and a better buy to boot!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Elvinley

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2012, 12:15:15 pm »
I did buy a Hall a few months ago as I decided it was neccessary to have a Hall running on Elvinley now and again! I opted for the GWR livery one which although a little bit on the light side of green, looks good generally. The grey wheels have of course now been painted black. I have to say that so far this loco has been a really good runner. Hope it keeps it up.

Offline scruff

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2012, 12:52:03 pm »
Dapol announced yesterday several new versions of the Un-Modified Hall.
These include DCC Fitted versions.

2S-010-000   HALL #4937 ‘LANELAY HALL’      GWR LINED GREEN
2S-010-000D HALL #4937 ‘LANELAY HALL’      GWR LINED GREEN DCC FITTED
2S-010-001   HALL #4951 ‘PENDEFORD HALL’ BR LINED GREEN LATE CREST
2S-010-001D HALL #4951 ‘PENDEFORD HALL’ BR LINED GREEN LATE CREST DCC FITTED
2S-010-002   HALL #4914 ‘CRANMORE HALL’  BR LINED GREEN LATE CREST
2S-010-002D HALL #4914 ‘CRANMORE HALL’  BR LINED GREEN LATE CREST DCC FITTED
2S-010-003   HALL #4958 ‘PRIORY HALL’       GWR LINED GREEN
2S-010-003D HALL #4958 ‘PRIORY HALL’       GWR LINED GREEN DCC FITTED

Cheers

Mark

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2012, 12:59:45 pm »
Interesting to note that they are all from the 49xx range meaning that the Dapol model is correct as these did not have fire iron tunnels.

Hope they get the lining right this time. ;)

Offline Andy007

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2012, 05:42:42 pm »
 :) I have a Dapol n gauge Hall class and it is absolutely SUPERB!

I spent 25 years in oo gauge and I have never had a loco run so smoothly or so slowly without interuption.

However I took the trouble (as did Gaugemaster at Ford kindly do so) to find the best runner thay had in stock over a period of 5 days. I believe they found some that were poor.

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2013, 09:01:55 pm »
The new batch of Halls has started arriving. Details and photos have started appearing on a new thread.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12205.msg125390#msg125390

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2017, 10:08:31 pm »
Resurrecting this thread after a long hiatus as I have discovered an interesting but of info. When Dapol first released "Norton Hall" there was some confusion as it was painted in the post-war style livery normally associated with "lesser" engines. No lining and "GWR" on the tender. Not the livery normally found on Halls (with the noted exception of oil-burner Garth Hall).

Anyway, it turns out that Dapol were not so far off. Immediately after WW2, several Collett Halls going through the works did in fact receive unlined green, even though the new built modified Halls coming out at the same time were in fully lined green. See below.

The only difference between the Dapol model and "Ripon Hall" is that Dapol have put "GWR" on the tender whereas in fact it should be "G crest W". The tender logo can be replaced fairly easily with fox tranfers. So if anyone has a model of Norton Hall and would like to spruce it up and make it historically accurate, this would appear to be the way to go.  :thumbsup:

Offline Elvinley

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2017, 10:26:34 pm »
I do indeed have this one. The shade of green is sadly very washed out but since I weathered it the loco looks reasonable. The wheels were also painted black along with other additions like real coal, a crew and various other details.

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2017, 07:53:11 pm »
Resurrecting this thread after a long hiatus as I have discovered an interesting but of info. When Dapol first released "Norton Hall" there was some confusion as it was painted in the post-war style livery normally associated with "lesser" engines. No lining and "GWR" on the tender. Not the livery normally found on Halls (with the noted exception of oil-burner Garth Hall).

Thanks for this information; I bought a second hand Norton Hall and wondered if the livery was accurate.

The only difference between the Dapol model and "Ripon Hall" is that Dapol have put "GWR" on the tender whereas in fact it should be "G crest W". The tender logo can be replaced fairly easily with fox tranfers. So if anyone has a model of Norton Hall and would like to spruce it up and make it historically accurate, this would appear to be the way to go.  :thumbsup:

Thanks again, that's something I can do to improve my Hall.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here