!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Somewhere in the West Country...  (Read 18739 times)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Somewhere in the West Country...
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:27:23 pm »
Some kind comments were made about my layout in the 'Hello from Hertfordshire' thread elsewhere on this site.

So if you'll all indulge me a little further, a few photos of the work I've been doing during the last few days.

Almost all of the ballasting has been done now. Although you can't completely hide what makes Kato track distinct, once it's been ballasted and then weathered I think it looks pretty good. Airbrushing a generic brown/grey much colour seems to hide a multitude of sins!

I've also done a fair bit of work to the goods yard part of the layout. I wanted a steep bank of trees on one side so the goods yard was hidden when the layout is viewed from one end. Since the track plan is an oval, it can look like the trains are going round and round the goods yard, but by hiding the goods yard this way, the 'foot' end of the layout looks more like a stretch of remote countryside, which I think makes for more fun.

In any case, the goods yard still has quite a bit of work before it's finished. The coaling stage was built today and given a once-over with the airbrush using a mix of gunmetal and brown, but it'll need some detailing before it's done. Likewise the loading platform needs to have its fencing finished off and perhaps some sort of awning or shed at one end. The tarmac area between the two sidings is basically plaster painted dark grey, so needs a bit of work too.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
Re: Somewhere in the West Country...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 10:35:25 pm »
Excellent scenic work, very realistic  :thumbsup:

Paul

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:46:17 pm »
I think your layout looks excellent NeMo, you have certainly got a flair for scenery and ballasting  :thumbsup:

I will be interested to see what kind of backdrop you put up  ;)

cheers John.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:59:59 am »
That looks cracking :thumbsup:

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 08:12:08 am »
That layout is looking really good.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline E Pinniger

• N Gauge Society Number: 23704
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 10:06:32 am »
I really like your scenic work, ballasting and weathering on the stock and buildings!  :thumbsup: I'd certainly never have known that was Kato track if you hadn't said. I normally use acrylic paints and weathering powders for weathering track and ballast, but seeing your layout makes me wish I'd tried airbrushing instead. Do you mask the rails before airbrushing, or just clean the paint off them afterwards?

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 10:33:31 am »
Thanks for all the kind words!

I do put masking tape across the sensitive bits of the points. I also use air-drying modelling clay (3-4 a kilo from discount art shops) all around the point before ballasting. This way there's no risk of PVA soaking underneath the point and gumming up the mechanism or electrics. The clay is also used to partially fill in the gaps between parallel tracks, economising on the Woodland Scenics fine grey ballast a bit as I then only need to add a shallow depth of ballast on top of the clay.

I don't otherwise mask the track, and simply wipe with a Peco track rubber after spraying. Seems to work well. Airbrushing is very quick, and with the right shade of mucky brown-grey, I think you get a pretty good overall impression of well-used track. I'll probably go over bits of it again with some black when I get a chance, to mimic oil stains and suchlike.

I really like Kato track, but it's a shame that a few locos absolutely refuse to go over the #4 points reliably; by all accounts #6 points are better, but I think they take up more space.

Cheers, NeMo

I really like your scenic work, ballasting and weathering on the stock and buildings!  :thumbsup: I'd certainly never have known that was Kato track if you hadn't said. I normally use acrylic paints and weathering powders for weathering track and ballast, but seeing your layout makes me wish I'd tried airbrushing instead. Do you mask the rails before airbrushing, or just clean the paint off them afterwards?

Offline Jonspadge

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 01:57:33 pm »
Nemo,

Very good layout and scenery. looks similar to my Aidanvale layout (I also have the Ratio depot) and I use the same method as you. Go over the whole track with a sludgy brown mix I have been collecting which I thin down.

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 08:09:58 pm »
Had some fun weathering wagons, mostly using an airbrush. These were eight factory weathered VGA vans, so needed a little extra, I thought, to make them look more like a rake of wagons than identical toys.

An ancient Peco van and a more recent Farish OCA wagon got dirtied a bit more heavily.

I also took the airbrush to the wagons I got yesterday, not too severely, but enough to tone down the black undercarriage especially.

Can't take the credit for weathering the two below though: both done my Grimy Times. The Hymek was actually the factory weathered one that came with the weathered milk tanks, but I don't think the weathering looked that good, especially compared with more recent factory weathered models. In any case, I just happen to like this shot, diesels buffer to buffer waiting their next call to duty. I can almost smell the diesel fumes! Reminds me of my teenage years walking around Old Oak Common (health and safety back then was the depot manager telling me and my dad not to walk onto the mainline!!!).

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 08:13:13 pm »
Very nice, NeMo :thumbsup:
Although I made several forays onto the Western Region in my spotting days I never did get round Old Oak Common :'(

Offline SNCFStephen

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 02:52:39 pm »

I really like Kato track, but it's a shame that a few locos absolutely refuse to go over the #4 points reliably; by all accounts #6 points are better, but I think they take up more space.

Cheers, NeMo

First of all the layout is fantastically well made and I am impressed with the level of detail you have managed to achieve.

Secondly #4 points can be modified to make them run better. There are a number of methods that can be done and they are described here:
http://home.comcast.net/%7Ej.sing/Peavine_Layout_Overview.html (scroll down the page a bit to find the relevant section) basically you need to file down the main rail to accommodate the switching rail (sorry railway terminology has passed me by as to what the proper names for these are). Last time I went on the site there were some issues with the pictures so you might do well to drop him an email. In some locations I found that the layout of the track was one of the reasons why my locos derailed and this meant a bit of a redesign was needed. One method I found useful was to bend the switching rail slightly to ensure it was flush with the rails it was meant to touch against.

I hope that this is of some use to you. Good luck with your layout.

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 07:09:22 pm »
Thank you for that link! Really good looking railroad.

I had seen the Kato #4 fix on another US website. In fact, it was seeing how Americans adapt and weather Kato track to create really superb scenic model railroads that inspired me to use it and work around its quirks. I'd use Peco in my previous attempts at making a model railway over the last two or three years, and always ended up pulling everything up for one reason or another. Oftentimes it was the points I'd have problems with, whether ballasting them badly (and spoiling them) or being too scared to ballast them at all (spoiling the look of the model railway).

So yes, I have filed away at the inner rails to create a better slot for the moving rail, and while that helps with some locos, the (old, split chassis) Dapol 73s and (late model) 9Fs still seem a bit temperamental. To be fair, since adding the spring to the front wheels of one of the 9Fs, it does seem to be working a bit better.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Dock Shunter

• Trade Count: (+10)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 10:28:46 pm »
Great looking layout.... :thumbsup:
Love the shot of the work stained 35.The overall effect of your scenic work and weathering gives the layout a very authentic feel.
Are you planning on having a backscene....?

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 02:55:55 am »
I am watching this thread with interest. Very impressed with the attention to detail as shown in both the track weathering as well as the loco weathering. As a hydraulic fan all I can say is keep the photos coming!!

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 09:02:19 am »
I've been lurking on this thread too, picking up hints and tips about how to ballast track effectively. Keep up the excellent work and keep posting those great photos   :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything