!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Review of short shank rapido couplers supplied by RussellH  (Read 2182 times)

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
RussellH from this forum (Russ) kindly sent me a few sample couplers he makes for me to test out. These are (I think?) best described as 'short shank rapido couplers'. If that's not the correct term someone let me know please!

The idea is that they can fit into the old fashioned sockets with a spring and will shorten the gap between vehicles to look a bit more prototypical.

I tested the sample couplers in two Graham Farish coaches (a royal mail MK1 BG (Poole made) and an Intercity Mk1 FK (China made) and found them to be successful!  They ran fine on radius 3 and 4 curves on my layout with no buffer locking or derailments. I shall now be ordering some 1.25mm couplings from Russ to convert more of these old coaches.

This pic shows the gap between the converted coaches:  The I/C FK has 1.25mm couplers, the Royal Mail BG has 1.5mm.

The photo below shows the gap between two old coaches (again one Poole made, one China) with the standard farish couplers! You can see it is massive. Ok, it's not quite from the same place / angle as the first photo, but you get the idea about size difference...

This one is a bit blurry, but you can see from above that the gap is much reduced in the converted coaches (both are Mk1s, all B4 bogies)

OK, so the coaches themselves are of course not as good as the very latest Blue Ribband ones with new tooling and NEM couplers, but the gap between the converted coaches was only marginally more than these two Blue Ribband Mk1s with standard length NEM couplers:

Sorry this is a bit blurred, but it shows a 1.25mm coupler on the MK1 FK (bottom) and a 1.5mm coupler on the Mk1 BG (top)

Just a few words, I didn't test these on Radius 2 or 1 curves. I only tested them for a short run round (they went round each loop on my layout about 5 times and a few of the fiddle yard storage loops, i coupled them with Blue Ribband MK1s as well to see if still ran fine, which they did). I also only tested them on B4 bogies. I will try Commonwealth bogies and some wagons once I get more supplies!

I will still probably replace all my coaches with Blue Ribband ones eventually (as they get released in all the liveries i want, and as I save the money!), but these are a very useful and very easy solution to shorten up the gap in the old coaches.

I will now send Russ a message to order more couplers!   I'm sure he can let you all know how to order them from him and the cost if you are interested.

Tim

N.B. Russ makes them in different lengths. 1.25mm, 1.5mm, 2mm.  They are transparent / off white plastic. You could paint them black / grey if you prefer that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:19:38 pm by bluedepot »

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: Review of short shank rapido couplers supplied by RussellH
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 08:43:53 am »
I prefer the transparent couplings - they seem more realistic!

I am surprised that they are all not made like this!!

ISTR that there is another supplier but ISTF their name!

Nick R
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:51:17 am »
I'm afraid I don't agree, I think the transparent ones actually look more hideous and noticable than the black ones! At least the black ones blend in a bit with the general buffer-beam/underframe :no:

Like the shortened gap between coaches though :thumbsup:

Paul

Offline Greybeema

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 09:33:06 am »
I like the close coupling idea but what radius is a radius 1,2,3 & 4 as I have limited radius on my layout?
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline Sprintex

• N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 10:00:41 am »
Usually refers to Peco Setrack standard curves:-

R1 = 228mm (9")
R2 = 263.5mm (10+3/8")
R3 = 298.5mm (11+3/4")
R4 = 333.4mm (13.1")

:thumbsup:

Paul

Offline Greybeema

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 10:16:41 am »
Thanks Paul.

I need to test as I use a short shank on one end and a regular on the other in my EMU set ups..

Suppose I need to finish the track laying & wiring first though and not get side tracked...
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 12:00:37 pm »
yes sorry I meant peco radius 3 and 4

not sure if I like transparent or black couplings more, but easy to paint them if prefer black.

I am going to convert about 7 mk2s and 16 mk1s once more couplers arrive. intercity, regional railways and royal mail liveries not available in blue ribband mk1s so this is best option I think. not sure if will buy new mk2s yet as will be expensive.

Tim

Offline dodger

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 04:45:38 pm »
Thanks Paul.

I need to test as I use a short shank on one end and a regular on the other in my EMU set ups..

Suppose I need to finish the track laying & wiring first though and not get side tracked...

I do the same with my 4CEP and it takes 9'' radius curves easily. I tried a short coupling on both vehicles but the gangways were too close and caused a derailment.

Definitely going to try these on the loco hauled stock. How do I get hold of them.

Dodger

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here