!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish Mk1 coaches - new version.  (Read 25800 times)

Offline Muppetman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22542
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Farish Mk1 coaches - new version.
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2017, 10:01:36 pm »
I have noticed some new liveries are surfacing on eBay,  Peterso spare must have had  a delivery,  Reigional railways,  NSE and a new BG in post office red, all look very nice, £30+£4 p&p

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2018, 03:54:14 pm »
Not sure if the coaches in the title are the same as the current ‘new’ Farish Mk 1 coaches, as this is a rather old thread, but I have had some problems with a rake of 5 just purchased.  I replace the couplings at the rake ends with Dapol easy shunt magnetic couplings and the originals are so tight in the sockets that you would not believe they are meant to come out if you did not know it! I had to pull so hard I was afraid of damaging something.

Inserting the Dapol couplings is equally difficult, with much bending of plastic in the process. The finished product shed coaches on the first circuit and on inspection I found that the couplings do not align with those on a brand new Type 47, with maybe only 50% overlap on height and even more plastic bending is required to even get them close!

Furthermore, it is not just the ones at I have replaced at the rake ends that are out of line, most of the untouched ones on the intermediate coaches do not line up with each other either!

Anyone else had this problem, or is it just me?

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2018, 04:50:43 pm »
Any problems I've had between identical vehicles (e.g. Farish Mk1 coupled with Farish Mk1) have usually been due to one or both coupling(s) not being fitted in the socket properly or because the close coupling mechanism has been knocked out of its normal location or guides due to the fitting of an alternative coupling.

Part of the problem of using Farish couplings in Dapol sockets (often loose) or Dapol couplers in Farish sockets (often very tight as you'e found) appears to be down to the tollerences applied by both manufatures. Farish appear to be at the smaller end of the range whilst Dapol are at the larger end.

You'd hope that the NEM pocket CAD would be copy and pasted between projects but that doesn't appear to be the case as I've had Farish couplings fit well in one Farish model but not another.

I've known a modeller of German outline trains have problems using Farish NEM couplings in Fleischmann or Trix products for similar reasons.

I've come to the conclusion that the NEM coupling pocket is a standard best approached with a small file or wet'n'dry paper....

Steven B.

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2018, 06:42:12 pm »
In this case even the Farish originals are very tight. One came out minus one of the little ‘pips’ on the sides.  They are so tight that I don’t think there is much scope for them not being fitted in the socket properly. I suspect they are so tight that the drawbars have been distorted when the couplers were installed in the factory.
Pretty poor really.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2018, 06:48:18 am »
I had the same problem with my Farish coaches a few years ago. Here is my post which describes a solution.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=32573.msg374358#msg374358

Since this post I've found that I can use a pair of pliers to get them in without any filing. Basically, one leg of the pliers is on the inside of the coupler box and the other is on the cross arm of the coupling. Providing you have the right sized pliers placed on the right forcing points, the couplers will slot in.

I was trying to fit Farish short arm couplers into Farish coupler boxes - very tight for some of them and easy to damage if force is applied the wrong way.

Webbo

Online johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2018, 08:15:26 am »
My solution is to gently insert a fine screwdriver into the pocket sides. This eases the insertion of a new coupling but the pocket seems to return to its original shape eventually.

Incidentally; later coaches (Bulleid and Hawksworth) seems to have more generous NEM pockets, and the same might be true for more recent Mk1 coaches, I can't remember.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:18:11 am by johnlambert »

Offline crepello

• N Gauge Society Number: 3956
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2018, 10:51:18 am »
I've used Dapol NEMCOUPS on mine. I've cut off one of the 'horizontal pins' on the couplings and inserted them without difficulty or further problems. Should be the same with the magnetics.

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2018, 11:42:04 am »
Incidentally; later coaches (Bulleid and Hawksworth) seems to have more generous NEM pockets, and the same might be true for more recent Mk1 coaches, I can't remember.
These are AFAIK the latest Mk1’s, unless Hattons are still selling old stock.

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2018, 02:15:25 pm »
These are AFAIK the latest Mk1’s, unless Hattons are still selling old stock.

Check on the inside of the cardboard packaging, it should have the production date (or some date closely related thereto) stamped somewhere/
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2018, 04:09:31 pm »
Ha!
01, 04, 11, 15 and 18! So only one that can really be called new (a maroon FK).
But they all have the same issues with the NEM pockets.

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2018, 05:10:00 pm »
Ha!
01, 04, 11, 15 and 18! So only one that can really be called new (a maroon FK).
But they all have the same issues with the NEM pockets.

Ah, hang on, the date is in YYMMDD format (common in east Asia), so the year will be the first two digits.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2018, 06:34:56 pm »
In that case, they are all 15 / 16.  Still not sure if that makes them the current ‘new’ version!

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2018, 10:09:53 pm »
They should all be the newer versions, all my Mk1 coaches are the new type and I have the same problem..

Cheers
Mark

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2018, 05:14:24 pm »
 :hellosign:
Having been awaiting the introduction of a Farish BR Mk1 Restaurant Unclassified in chocolate & cream for a long time, I am a little puzzled not to have found any news so far. 

According to http://ngauge.org.uk/bac_pass_mk1_buffets.php , there were two pre-Blue Riband models 374-117 and 117a, but lacking interiors and the extra details/close couplings would not really go with an adjoining RFO. 

Perhaps I have missed something, somewhere.  Has anybody an idea why this particular livery is not yet available please? 
 :thankyousign:

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2018, 09:26:14 pm »
:hellosign:
Having been awaiting the introduction of a Farish BR Mk1 Restaurant Unclassified in chocolate & cream for a long time, I am a little puzzled not to have found any news so far. 

According to http://ngauge.org.uk/bac_pass_mk1_buffets.php , there were two pre-Blue Riband models 374-117 and 117a, but lacking interiors and the extra details/close couplings would not really go with an adjoining RFO. 

Perhaps I have missed something, somewhere.  Has anybody an idea why this particular livery is not yet available please? 
 :thankyousign:

I can't understand it either, I spoke to someone on the Bachman stand at Ally Pally earlier this year and asked why this had not been done even though I had found some evidence on film of one. his answer was that he would mention it at a product meeting, but it looks like nothing came of it, so I will try again next year.

Regards,

Alex

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here