!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Review - Graham Farish 4F Tender Locomotive  (Read 15309 times)

Offline REFaust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20356
    • My N Gauge YouTube channel
    • Awards
Review - Graham Farish 4F Tender Locomotive
« on: June 26, 2011, 05:33:06 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Here's a real oldie lol I've added a review of the Grafar 4F tender lcomotive to my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk4YfNpn3xg

Enjoy!

R E Faust

:Class31: :Carriage:

Offline binksforbikes

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Review - Graham Farish 4F Tender Locomotive
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 06:22:19 pm »
Hi nice video with some good ideas for the future
it would be nice if members of this forum could discuss ways of securing the coupling rods to the wheels of the 4f  in a more secure way as at the moment they can just slip on and off which with my old and battered model is becoming a problem

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07:39:42 pm »
Hi nice video with some good ideas for the future
it would be nice if members of this forum could discuss ways of securing the coupling rods to the wheels of the 4f  in a more secure way as at the moment they can just slip on and off which with my old and battered model is becoming a problem

Which wheels are they coming off ?
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline poliss

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:56:26 pm »
A Google finds that kit builders use Loctite 603 to secure the pins.

Offline binksforbikes

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 11:22:42 pm »
the ends of the coupling rods are just a loose fit over pins on the front and rear wheels

Offline poliss

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 04:38:30 pm »
They use plastic pins? Didn't know that. How odd. All my continental/US pins are metal.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 10:41:24 pm »
On the 4F as currently available the pins are little more than lugs which are moulded as a part of the wheel centre, the coupling rods just rest over them with only a metal pin fitted to the centre driving wheel to hold them in place. They're awful! If I recall the original release wasn't much better as the pins were a part of the coupling rod which just slotted into a hole in the wheel 'spoke' moulding. Without adjustment you'll spend as much time trying to refit the rods as you do running them, although when bent inwards they do become a lot more stable. This model really does need the tender pickups retrofitting, the original Poole release definately runs better than the current crop.

They don't come off unless they've been mucked about with and bent slightly outwards. Bending them in will cure the issue. DO NOT GLUE/LOCTITE them as this will completely lock up the whole chassis - they have to be free to move.

This model really does need the tender pickups retrofitting, the original Poole release definately runs better than the current crop.

Depends on your trackwork, though not all Poole models have tender pickups either - I bought one new in 1998 and it was not fitted.

The body moulding itself is actually quite nice, but its let down by the rest of the model if I'm brutally honest. The tender is a horrible mashed together generic chassis with a very stretched Fowler tank fitted, and the motor extends so far into the cab space that theres next to no point in trying to hide it or fit a crew. Being as my MRC are heavily Midland biased (I'm more a LNWR fan and perfer Staniers creations above all, but sssshhhh) I do need a few of these, and I do own a couple, but I'm seriously looking in to a correct Fowler tender and fitting a Union Mills drive unit while retaining the front wheel pickup of the original Farish model. Hopefully Worsley Works will be able to come to my rescue with a scaled down Fowler 3500 gal. tender etch, and hopefully the UM drive unit will fit into that. Sadly the BHE tender kit doesn't have the internal space as its cast metal, but it is another option if a viable loco drive unit can be built and squeezed in or you are happy with the factory arrangement at the front end.

I've done some work on mine (Bachfar, but essentially the same model, just with blackened wheels/motion) and shows the potential (hopefully!) when superdetailed to match in with more recently released models. I've used BHE tenders (sadly I don't have a picture of one here yet, but can do one of complete loco if anyone wishes) and they are excellent - I wouldn't waste time (and a lot of cash) trying to get the drive into the tender - the Farish chassis is a good runner and once the capacitor is painted or moved it's not particularly obtrusive (not overly more than a driveshaft running from loco to tender either):

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:46:09 pm by Dr Al »
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline REFaust

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 07:06:01 pm »
That looks really nice Alan, are the parts from nbrasslocos? I know they do a replacement chimney but what other bits are available?

cheers

R E Faust

:Class31: :NGFWagonTour:

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 07:34:12 pm »
Hi Zunnan

The original Poole Release ironically didn't have tender pickups fitted, it was the first of the Farish released to leave them off.

I agree a retro-fit of them is very worthwhile, running is transformed in my experience on any tender loco where this is done.

Thankfully on all new Bachmann releases they are included giving a sensible "footprint" and reliable running.

Regards

Roy

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:40:46 pm »
That looks really nice Alan, are the parts from nbrasslocos? I know they do a replacement chimney but what other bits are available?

Buffers and handrails are N brass, the rest is from scratch.

Best Regards,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 07:41:27 pm »
Thankfully on all new Bachmann releases they are included giving a sensible "footprint" and reliable running.

Bachfarish 4Fs are not fitted with tender pickups either.

Regards,
Alan

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:02:35 pm »
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant Bachmann's newly tooled stuff not the re-treads from the original Farish range, none of which have them.

Cheers

Roy

Offline REFaust

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 09:58:06 am »

Buffers and handrails are N brass, the rest is from scratch.

Best Regards,
Alan

Nice work  :thumbsup:

thanks for the info

R E Faust

:A1Tornado: :Carriage:

MTSI Rail

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 08:52:14 pm »
I was very disappointed with the tractive effort - faded away rapidly on a gradient (1:48). There was a solution however - I fitted a Union Mills tender drive after 'gutting' the original motor from the Bachfar offering. Hills now no problem , but with that proven drive unit you wouldn't expect anything else, would you?

MTSI Rail;

Offline bensi

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 05:14:55 pm »
I have a 4f that seems pretty bad as when it hits any little bump or nick in d track the loco stops. does anyone know how to fit a tender pick up to the loco to improve the running? the loco is new so it shouldnt require a service.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything