!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Gloop vs varnish  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Phil Wray

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Gloop vs varnish
« on: April 04, 2013, 02:13:35 pm »
It seems there are two main routes with this water malarkey. The magic water gloopy stuff, or the layered varnish option.

Although I can see the many advantages to the gloop, my issue is that now that I've sliced my baseboard into 3 and dropped the middle section down to make a lower river and estuary bed, I'm no longer perfectly level. So I'm worried about pouring magic water everywhere and finding in the morning that its all pooled over to one side.

Now, I know folks will say I should work at levelling it out. Yes perhaps. But I'm not sure how easy that will be, esp since you can't fit a spirit level across the river bed (too narrow) only along it. S I can only level in one dimension.

With all of this, I'm tempted to try for the varnish route. Also as there was an excellent article in British Railway Modeller mag last month with some amazing photos of a guy who does the whole thing in varnish (OO gauge).

Thoughts people?
Anyone found success with the varnish option?
How much will it stink up our spare bedroom? (which could cause some friction with SWMBO!)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: Gloop vs varnish
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 02:18:52 pm »
Acrylic varnish is fairly pong free and will produce a fairly good surface. Polyurethane varnish pongs to high heaven but produces IMHO a better surface.

Another option for flat water is clear or rippled plastic sheet over a space with a painted riverbed below.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 02:35:14 pm »
Reminiscent of the water skiers who spent months looking for a lake with a slope to it :doh:

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:14:18 pm »
Now, I know folks will say I should work at levelling it out. Yes perhaps. But I'm not sure how easy that will be, esp since you can't fit a spirit level across the river bed (too narrow) only along it. S I can only level in one dimension.

If you have a branch of Wickes near you then get yourself one of these:-

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/167336

If you look at the Larger Image you'll see there's a mini level at one end that is removable, giving you a spirit level that is about 2" long. Probably not dead accurate but good enough for railway purposes, have found mine invaluable :thumbsup:

Paul

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 09:00:30 pm »

If you have a branch of Wickes near you then get yourself one of these:-

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/167336

If you look at the Larger Image you'll see there's a mini level at one end that is removable, giving you a spirit level that is about 2" long. Probably not dead accurate but good enough for railway purposes, have found mine invaluable :thumbsup:

Paul

If there isnt a Wickes near you Phil  try this small  level  i  have one  & find it handy   :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-CAMPERVAN-CARAVAN-MINI-LEVELLER-SPIRIT-LEVEL-ACCESSORY-NEW-/230779130941?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item35bb82143d

Offline Phil Wray

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 07:45:28 pm »
So the advice seems to be to go for gloop, but work on getting the river bed flat.

I've ordered some mini spirit levels - these here look great:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leveler-Spirit-Level-Caravan-Campervan/dp/B004DJ7F48/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365178698&sr=8-2&keywords=Mini+spirit+level

Until they come I'll continue building my stone and girder bridge.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:49:24 pm »
I use my phone for levelling small things. Most smartphones have spirit level apps these days. I also know the height above sea level of my baseboards but that seems less useful  :doh:
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 08:52:25 pm »
I also know the height above sea level of my baseboards but that seems less useful  :doh:

Handy to know in these days of global warming :D

Offline Phil Wray

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 10:49:47 pm »
Well, despite everyone's advice to go for gloop, I've gone for varnish... I know... What's the point of asking for advice and then not taking it... Well the mini spirit levels showed that the river bed had slight skews all along its length that changed along its length too. I just balked at the job of straightening it all out, so far easier to just paint on layers of varnish.

Goodness know how many layers I'm gonna have to do. I'm at 7 and counting.... It is getting better and more rivery as I go along. Perhaps not the gloop beauty others have, but I might say beggars can't be choosers.... Except it'd be more accurate to say LAZY beggars shouldn't be choosers! :sleep:

Offline Phil Wray

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 06:27:38 pm »
Struggling to take a even vaguely decent photo of my (varnished) river using my phone-camera. This is the best of a bad bunch.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 06:33:41 pm »
Looks good to me. I think once you've got things like vegetation and the waters edge bushes/rocks/whatever it'll look the part.

Alan

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 07:36:21 pm »
Super work Phil, the you have created a great impression of depth.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 07:43:18 pm »
As EP says, I think once you have the 'decoration' done it will look great :thumbsup:

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 10:44:41 pm »
I agree with what has been said  :thumbsup:

You may find if you let someone else take a few pictures of your river they will have a different viewpoint to you and you will see it in a new light, one of the beauties of digital  ;)

cheers John.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 08:50:47 am »
Hi Phil,

Am nearly ready to make my 'sea' and am practicing with alternatives to magic water etc before I 'dive in'.

Was wondering what varnish you used. EP says acrylic less smelly but polyurethane better.

Have experimented with flexible decorators filler with little waves and painted. Doesn't look too bad. The only varnish I have got is Yacht varnish (no yacht!) and seem to remember it stinks to high heaven.

The board is in the bedroom so smell will be of utmost importance with you know who!

Thanks for any help, also how many coats did you have to put on in the end?

Cheers weave

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything