!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Water  (Read 850 times)

Offline Farmer Giles

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Water
« on: March 28, 2013, 08:54:33 am »
I am in the early stages of planning a new layout. It will include water in the form of a canal and basin with wharf, an estuary (part of one anyway) and a small part of a harbour. I expect there will be the odd stream and pond as well. if there is enough space I may have a small part of a beach and sea, although I suspect this will more likely be a painted backdrop instead.
I have been looking around to see what is available (there is a lot more now than there was 20-30 years ago). Which products would you good folks recommend. I do not envisage any white water rapids.

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: Water
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 09:27:33 am »
After researching, I used Magic Water on my seascape and it can be used to model other water features such as ponds. Here is the thread with details.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4249.msg48215#msg48215

There is quite a bit about modelling water on the forum so you could search on 'pond' or 'stream'. For example searching on pond brought this (Zwilnik's Ivebridge)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=7041.msg120570#msg120570
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Farmer Giles

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:41:24 am »
 :thankyousign: Pengi. When I built my first real layout over 30 years ago I used glass fibre resin on a painted base which worked quite well, especially for deep, still and muddy water like a canal, it just made my eyes water in the confined space. My eyes watered a bit at the prices of some of the propriety brands of model water on sale now, especially if you need a lot of it.

Offline Oldman

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Grumpy old git who hates sport
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 12:02:34 pm »
Last time I did a large area of water I used clear Yacht Varnish.
You need to build up layers thinly to let it dry properly but may be a cheaper option. Also you can get it in large tins :thumbsup:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-yacht-varnish-750ml/23164
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here