!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saneham-Tey  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Saneham-Tey
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 09:45:08 am »
Great pics, and love the era.

All you need now is a Blue Pullman flashing through!!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 11:28:07 am »
Lovely. Very atmospheric
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline grid078

• N Gauge Society Number: 11150
    • Suffolk and North Essex area group of the N-Gauge Society
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 08:53:13 pm »
Latest round of photos from last weekends show at Felixstowe.

Further pictures to be posted on our website later in the week.
Website link below.

Regards Stuart

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 09:17:08 pm »
 :greatpicturessign: :thankyousign:

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 07:07:02 pm »
Lovely stuff, thanks for posting.   :thumbsup:

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 07:54:14 pm »
an authentic look back at the 60s stock and the 70s / 80s with the Stratford 47s on the liverpool street norwich, the 47s on the felixstowe freightliners

heady days

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 08:22:32 am »
Very nice.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 09:39:26 am »
Hello;

Our next confirmed exhibition is the Weeley N Gauge (only?) show on 30/3/19.

We can run two main liveries; BR steam diesel changeover circa 1960 (Me) or 1980s Blue Grey/Intercity (Stuart, grid078), with an East Anglian bias.

I do have to say that a 10 coach 'Day Continental' or a 20-flat Freightliner with 2x37s looks good....

We have nearly finished reconstructing the down fiddle yard, having built a new up fiddle yard and then making the old up fiddle yard part of the 'new' reconfigured down yard. we still have a little wiring to go, then we hope to refresh the backscene as our next major project. Unfortunately, we only get to work on it about 5-6 hours a month.......but that could change after October!

I have to say that on this layout, and also James St, Stuart has a very good eye for photographic angles and cameo scenes.....

Martyn

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:42:22 am by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2018, 09:06:08 pm »
An excellent layout which brings back memories of my time living in Norwich and travelling to and from Liverpool Street. I particularly like the ultra-rare North British Type 1 (Class 16, D8400-D8409).

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2018, 09:07:15 pm »
Looking forward to an update of this excellent model layout.

Offline martyn

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 09:25:04 pm »
Hi;

I think that in reality, Stratford didn't let the cl 16s get too far from home, as is well known, their reliability was very poor, so a visit to Saneham Tey (Marks Tey) would probably have been unlikely. They seem to have been confined to Stratford shed's cross London and local freight diagrams to the docks; I've never seen a photo of them in deepest East Anglia, but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong! Their cl 15 cousins were a bit more reliable, and did roam across East Anglia, sometime double headed, especially Ipswich-Whitemoor and the Coltishall sand trains. I've also got models of two of them....The double headed train coming in on the branch is meant to be the Leicester-Clacton summer only working, and I've applied Rule 1 as this was normally a single loco working (the coaching stock worked to Liverpool St and back from Clacton midweek, returning to Leicester the following Saturday).

Martyn

We'll put some more updates as we work on it, but due to various commitments, until mid October, progress will be slow. We are booked at Weeley N gauge show in 2019, and possibly Bishop's Stortford also (TBC).

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2018, 04:43:05 pm »
Thanks, Martyn, for the info. about the Class 16. I did not know, either, about your twin Class 15s. Can you, please, post a picture or two of them? I remember seeing the ex-Class 15 Carriage Heating Unit at Colchester depot.

Offline martyn

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2018, 05:26:09 pm »
Hi again Chris;

I'll get Stuart to take some photos of the cl15s-he is much better than me, but I might have a try....Mine are (very) old Kingdom white metal kits on Poole cl 20 chassis. I think they may be the ones that BHE now sell (or did). There is also the resin Parkwood version, which is probably easier to make, but is of course a bit lighter-not a problem with the chassis weight for haulage. My cl 16 is Parkwood.

The cl 15s roamed quite a lot of East Anglia, as well as carriage pilots at Kings Cross (Finsbury Park shed?). Dr Ian Allen's book 'Diesels in East Anglia' has quite a few photos, including the aforementioned double headed workings; I remember them shunting the Harwich train ferry, and working parcels trains in the Colchester area. I may have been hauled by one on the Harwich branch..... ??? I also have-somewhere-slides of them laid up in Ipswich shed, prior to disposal. A friend who was a Colchester driver didn't like them as they were noisy and smelly in the cab, as well as their habit of either catching fire or seizing the main engine.

HTH

martyn

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2018, 07:02:01 pm »
Thanks, again, Martyn. I'll look forward to those photos., in due course. I have long had Dr Ian Allen's book, "Diesels in East Anglia". It's one of my favourites and the only non-WR or SR book that I now have.

I have no plans for either a Class 15 or a Class 16 as the closest they got to BR SR was on the cross-London goods trains. They do make very attractive models though.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything