!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills locos - photos  (Read 66410 times)

Offline paulprice

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills locos - photos
« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2017, 12:56:28 pm »
I must admit I am very tempted to add a G2 to the fleet

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2017, 02:23:43 pm »
So... this smart little thing arrived today,  £35 on eBay as spares/repair due to disconnected wire.  I took a chance as always wanted one of these - my favourite loco as a kid was my Triang B12.

The first UM loco I've ever encountered "in the metal" so-to-speak.  Heavy ain't she?!  I can see the design influences from the good old Peco Jubilee (another loco I've re-acquired recently to satisfy old memories of my British N days).

Up and running in a couple of minutes of course - am I correct in my diagnosis that the wire is simply held in place on the loco by passing through the small hole and secured by the rear chassis plate screw?

A bit hesitant at first, but a tiny touch of Power Lube on the loco axles under the cover plate and away she goes.  Might need a new traction tyre at some point, there is a slight wobble.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2017, 03:12:19 pm »
...am I correct in my diagnosis that the wire is simply held in place on the loco by passing through the small hole and secured by the rear chassis plate screw?

Yep, absolutely correct. I try and make sure that there's a good length of exposed (soldered) wire in there as a short length may result in pick-up problems. Aside from that, if you take the loco body apart, make sure you put the driving wheels back the right way up and the right way around, otherwise nothing will work. Don't ask me how I know this...

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #213 on: April 21, 2017, 03:24:39 pm »
... make sure you put the driving wheels back the right way up and the right way around, otherwise nothing will work. Don't ask me how I know this...

Yep, first thing I checked when she didn't want to run after replacing the wire.  I'm familiar with the arrangement, same idea as the Peco Jub.    As I say, just wasn't picking up well through the driving axles but a pinch of Power Lube sorted that!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything