!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills locos - photos  (Read 66486 times)

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills locos - photos
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 04:17:37 pm »
Excellent! I saw them on the website. If they were locos I didn't have already I would have been sorely tempted!

Offline Rob H

• N Gauge Society Number: Out !!
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 08:39:12 pm »
I've now had a chance to run my new UM and seem to have a bit of a problem - the tender seems to wobble, at any speed, accompanied by a strange "echoy" noise !

Any idea what the problem might be ?
They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

Offline Rob H

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 08:59:28 pm »
Please excuse me I'm a complete newcomer to all this - I've just had a look at the tender and 2 of the wheels on the same side, the 2 outer ones appear to have a rubber covering on them.

Is this normal or should I remove them ?

Help please,

Rob.
They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

Offline Vulcan

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 09:23:43 pm »
The rubber coverings on two of the tender wheels are traction tyres, they allow the loco to haul the phenominal loads they are capable of. Don't remove them, it will run better with them then without them.
Cheers,

David

MTSI Rail

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 12:19:51 pm »
The only problem I've had with a UM loco was my Fowler 7F which would not run smoothly at low speed, despite running it in - not usually required - and ensuring that everything was otherwise OK. I returned it to Colin Heard who agreed there was a problem but could not define it - he did promptly replaced the drive unit and, now, like all my other 18 or so UM locos, it runs as smooth as a baby's bottom. In passing the loco was sent and returned within a week - excellent service!  Never, ever had a tender wobble problem, but traction tyres would seem the obvious cause which can quickly be rectified .

Offline Rob H

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 04:59:26 pm »
Could you tell me how to rectify please

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 08:19:12 pm »
only my second post since joining the forum.  So sorry if it should be elsewhere, but this item reminds me!  If the moderators want to move it, fine by me. 

I have 2 U/M locos one of which is the 2P.  It may be simple by current Daprol and G/F stabdards but it still looks great and unlike the saying of some enginemen =- it will not slip on Blackpool sands.

I did find that the leading bogie would split the point when going over the diverging route - even on large radius.  I tried adjusting the Guage - I have the N Soc back to back gauge - but nothing worked.  Adjustments to back to back have cured derailments on points with other locos.  I substituted alternative wheelsets from the doofer box, and not those horrible tiny ex Poole G/F jobs.  It is now OK.  A friend at the Club had a similar issue with a T9.  Have others encountered this problem with these or other leading bogies U/Ms?  My J25 is fine.

Offline painbrook

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 01:06:19 pm »
Never had any problems with UM and I'm sure Colin will help . Have you got his phone No. ? . Cheers john .

MTSI Rail

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 04:58:06 pm »
Hi Portpatrick,

Never encountered a bogie problem with UM - Dapol, yes, but UM never. As you've changed the wheels it makes involving Colin a bit academic. Have you checked your point work for accurate alignment, grit in the frog or check rails (if you've ballasted), or variation of level? All of these things can derail the best built leading bogie. Another test which can point to trackwork being the problem is if bogie locos trail through the point work OK. Hope this mught help.

Cheers.

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 11:24:54 pm »
only my second post since joining the forum.  So sorry if it should be elsewhere, but this item reminds me!  If the moderators want to move it, fine by me. 

I have 2 U/M locos one of which is the 2P.  It may be simple by current Daprol and G/F stabdards but it still looks great and unlike the saying of some enginemen =- it will not slip on Blackpool sands.

I did find that the leading bogie would split the point when going over the diverging route - even on large radius.  I tried adjusting the Guage - I have the N Soc back to back gauge - but nothing worked.  Adjustments to back to back have cured derailments on points with other locos.  I substituted alternative wheelsets from the doofer box, and not those horrible tiny ex Poole G/F jobs.  It is now OK.  A friend at the Club had a similar issue with a T9.  Have others encountered this problem with these or other leading bogies U/Ms?  My J25 is fine.
Just bought 2P in BR black - Runs beautifully over both streamline and setrack points without a twich, I'm so impressed I was tempted to sell all my steamers and go Union Mills only (except for money... again :() ! Colin Heards service is superb, i'm sure if you have a persistant problem i'm sure he'd help to resolve it.  (can't imagine that from dapol..... :evil:)
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Paul B

• N Gauge Society Number: 19167
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 05:14:59 pm »
I recently ordered a B12/3 from Union Mills, and asked for it to be delivered by recorded delivery, as I live in a flat - left it for 10 days and, when I hadn't received it, I gave Colin a call, only to discover that he had gone on a months holiday!  :( (Not that I would begrudge anyone their Summer holiday!)

When he came back, I told him that I still hadn't received the loco. He was upset by this, and sent another one out that day by special next day delivery! I said that I had hoped that the Post Office had just not delivered it to me, and I wondered if it had ended up back with him - he said it hadn't, but that I shouldn't worry, he would just claim off the Post Office, especially as it was sent Recorded.

The next day, I got the card through the door, and collected it a couple of days later from the Post Office.  And it runs as well as everyone else says UM models always run, despite it being subjected to a two day open event at the local model railway club! Next I want a J39, and will probably buy the UM one rather than the new Farish example (even if it is a little cheaper than UM's!)
LNER (and PKP) fan in the home of the GWR!

MTSI Rail

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2011, 08:41:49 pm »
Paul,
I have two J39's - like all UM they are brilliant - will pull as many wagons as you can hang on the tender on your layout - I've managed to fit thirty-odd as a maximum on my little layout and all my UM 0-6-0's cope with this without breaking sweat. The 2mm scale firemen are not that happy though........ ;D ;D  I would hazard a guess that the Bachmann version, however good, will be dearer the way prices are going up like they are rocket powered!

Rog.

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 06:45:23 pm »
Great pictures and judging by the comments high quality performers too. A quick question. How are the couplers fitted? Are they in NEM boxes and can be popped out easily, or are they more permanently fitted?

Bob

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 07:00:46 pm »
Great pictures and judging by the comments high quality performers too. A quick question. How are the couplers fitted? Are they in NEM boxes and can be popped out easily, or are they more permanently fitted?

Bob

Standard spring and coupler box, the same as old Farish/Trix. Not NEM.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 09:59:23 am »
Thanks for the information Alan, very helpful.

Bob

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here