!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: OMWB - mainly class 60's at the moment.  (Read 727 times)

Offline KainHarkins

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
OMWB - mainly class 60's at the moment.
« on: January 14, 2017, 08:57:44 pm »
Ok so I thought I'd write up a quick post regarding my latest renumbering of one of the class 60's in the collection.

I started off with a 60052 model from Lytchett Manor Models

And because I already have one of the 60052 in the collection I thought I'd go for another number that still carries the EWS branding even if it's lying rotting away at Toton in real life.

First off it was removing the existing numbers and nameplates from the model using enamel thinners and cocktail stick that I've used in the past.

I did go a little too hard on one side but that would hopefully be sorted when the numbers were applied.

I used the Precision Labels transfer sheet as they did the faded numbers set along with transfers for the plates as well

After that I taped off the windows all round and airbrushed a coat of precision paints gloss coat to both sides

Once that was left to dry for 24 hours I cut out the transfers and applied them to the relevant sides and then left them for a week whilst I was away at work

When I got back home I then applied the satin coat and left that to dry for 24 hours. I then removed the tape to see how it had gone.

And then on my final day off I wanted to tone the paint down to match the numbers weathered state. For this I used Mig white weathering powders brushed into the satin finish until I was happy with it. I also added a bit of black powders and city industrial grime powder to the sides and roof

I then gave it another coat of satin after reapplying the tape on the windows

And this is the final look of it completed and taking its place in the collection.

Offline KainHarkins

• Awards
Re: OMWB - mainly class 60's at the moment.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 09:14:52 pm »
I've also got a thing about the class 60 so much so I've named the layout Brush Lane in homage to Loughborough the home of the 60's.

I've renumbered a few of the DB 60's as well which to be honest has been a lot easier than doing the EWS version of the 60 maybe down to the way that Graham Farish has printed the white numbers on the side of the locos could be removed using a drop of water and a blunted cocktail stick to remove those numbers but the front and back numbers still required the thinners and cocktail stick approach.

Anyway here are a few of the DB 60's I've done so far but using Railtec transfers and in most cases using their fantastic 3D looking transfers.

Offline porkie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20857
    • My Layout build so far.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 09:22:53 pm »
Stunning work and great collection you have their
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1985 - 2000
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

Offline KainHarkins

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:20:05 pm »
Stunning work and great collection you have their

Many thanks. I'm hoping to get most of the fleet done when I get the finances but I'm still learning and the DB ones are easy. I've not really tampered with the grey ones as yet.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 02:20:04 am »
Crikey!

You know Buffers were selling their Transrail ones for 50 a couple of days ago.

Offline KainHarkins

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 07:27:13 am »
Crikey!

You know Buffers were selling their Transrail ones for 50 a couple of days ago.

They've had them at 50.00 for ages. I had the 2 silver ones commissioned and painted using 2 Buffers specials.

Offline KainHarkins

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 11:29:32 pm »
Been messing with some more locos lately, yes they are all 60's

Thought I'd add to the collection with a few more using a mixture of precision labels/ railtec transfers and soon to be used Fox transfers.

With the distinct lack of DB red 60's on the market I've been concentrating on making up some EWS ones instead and today I took delivery of the two first two tone grey donor locos to be renumbered.

I've also made the decision to not just concentrate on the current locos liveries but try to recreate them as best as possible.

You'll notice I've modified a 60078 next to the modified 60052 to remove the mainline markings and numbers to replicate the pinstripe line and also add the beasties. I've even gone as far as painting part of the roof silver to replicate the current roof on the certain panels and weathered those panels with mig powders to represent rust on the aluminium panels.

As for the 60052 base model you can see I've changed the number and added the plates to recreate 60065 Jaguar including the faded numbers.

I've also taken receipt of 2 of the 60054 models with the nearer right top grey colour to recreate some of the current 60's in grey.

This time I've used instead of enamel thinners to remove the markings I've used T cut as you will be aware is used to polish your cars but if you didn't know is a good cutting compound for removing ink from the models but minimising the risk of damaging the paint work if you aren't as careful as you should be.

The top two are what I started with. And in the next picture you can see the results using T cut.

I'm hoping with one of the 60's to recreate 60070 which was my last class 60 I needed a picture of and I got yesterday at Toton.

I've already got some faded loadhaul transfers from precision labels and some of the standard  Loadhaul transfers from Fox. I'm going to use a mixture of both to try and recreate it best I can but obviously in a condition that if it were still to run it would have all the panels intact but could still look this sorry with faded markings on the side.

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 11:47:25 pm »
Lovely work @KainHarkins , especially 60065 'Jaguar'. :thumbsup:

You'll notice I've modified a 60078 next to the modified 60052 to remove the mainline markings and numbers to replicate the pinstripe line and also add the beasties. I've even gone as far as painting part of the roof silver to replicate the current roof on the certain panels and weathered those panels with mig powders to represent rust on the aluminium panels. ...

I wonder if those panels on the prototype are steel? Because only ferrous metals rust. When aluminium corrodes (or oxidises) the surface takes on a grey/white tone, rather than the orange/red tones of rust.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline KainHarkins

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 12:00:50 am »
Lovely work @KainHarkins , especially 60065 'Jaguar'. :thumbsup:

You'll notice I've modified a 60078 next to the modified 60052 to remove the mainline markings and numbers to replicate the pinstripe line and also add the beasties. I've even gone as far as painting part of the roof silver to replicate the current roof on the certain panels and weathered those panels with mig powders to represent rust on the aluminium panels. ...

I wonder if those panels on the prototype are steel? Because only ferrous metals rust. When aluminium corrodes (or oxidises) the surface takes on a grey/white tone, rather than the orange/red tones of rust.

I wasn't sure if they were steel or not I just thought it would make sense making those panels aluminium to keep weight down I never even thought about how and which metals actually rust.

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 12:14:28 am »
Bottom line: it looks :censored: good! :thumbsup:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline KainHarkins

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 12:21:26 am »
Many thanks. I just hope I can do 60070 justice as I've been afraid of doing them just in case I mess the top grey band up.

Offline KainHarkins

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 10:12:25 pm »
Ok so since my last post I've been tinkering with some more 60's. I've even ventured into the two tone grey ones after some advice from a few friends.

60070 was converted from a 60054 model as well as 60013 from another.

I've even done 60500 (60016)

I've also just finished this weekend 60008

I think the fleet of 60's currently stands at 36 at the moment and I've got a spare 60061 body and 60078 body one of which I'm hoping to convince a friend to paint into silver so I can have 60033 in the old corus livery.

Offline KainHarkins

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 04:57:43 am »
Well since my last update things have been a bit quiet as I've been messing with the new layout getting it working and slowly getting the fleet converted over to dcc.
I have done though a renumbering job on a 60052 body I had. Renumbered to 60093 including the white kingfisher logo on one side like the real thing had applied.

I have as well taken the plunge to try my hand at repainting some spare 60 shells I was wanting converting over.

I stripped a 60061 body back to the bare shell using the Dettol technique as well as a 60078 body as well. Making sure to remove the glazing and grilles so to help with the painting.

I've gone for doing 60022 in its ghost livery and 60033 in the corus silver livery.

I've used Wlkinsons grey primer for the shells and after a failed attempt getting the yellow ends right I'm at a stage I'm happy with.

I've received the transfers set from Fox for the Corus livery and some cantrail lining I've also got the 3D plates from Railtec which should be arriving any day and when they do arrive I'll be getting on with putting down the gloss coat on the soon to be 60033 so I can get on with applying the transfers. As for 60022 I've spoken to railtec about getting the numbers set for 60022 taking into account the spacing between the numbers on the sides.

I've also got in the works a DB 67 which I'm waiting also from Railtec for the new numbers and new wordings applied to the sides and that will be getting gloss coated at the same time as 60033.

I did run into a bit of a problem when removing the DB schenker markings off the side as I didn't take some helpful advice from a friend.

But after getting some replacement DB red acrylic paint I'm pretty much happy with the look of it. You can still just see where it's marked but I'm hoping the new transfers will hide those bits and with a bit of weathering it'll be hard to spot.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything