!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: ESLING - Moogles new Edwardian Seaside Layout  (Read 33790 times)

Offline E Pinniger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23704
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
Re: ESLING - Moogles new Edwardian Seaside Layout
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2013, 05:17:20 pm »
This is looking really interesting, looking forward to seeing more building/scenic work! Tramway layouts like this aren't often seen in any scale, let alone in N and with a seaside setting.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2013, 09:12:26 pm »
I must admit that in all my years of modelling, I never really gave much thought to trams (although I did admire the work of the late and legendary P.D. Hancock of Craig and Mertonford fame). However, we have folk like Whiteswan and Balloon 726 with their trams  and now, of course Moogle.

Any more tramheads out there in Forumland?  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline moogle

• N Gauge Society Number: 5694
  • Mad as a hatter and proud!
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2013, 01:55:13 pm »
 :thankyousign: Oldman.
I'm popping in there on Monday for some more superglue so I'll have a look for some then.
And donkey rides are a must have for an Edwardian beach, even if I've only 2 foot of it!

One advantage of using the overhead as one polarity and the track as the other is that a single track return loop is no longer a problem. Also, as well as having all four wheels picking up, the sprung overhead pole/bow/pantograph helps keep contact through the mild pressure. I did experiment over 30 years ago with a bow collector, the overhead using tinned copper wire which is very easy to solder (being pre-tinned, of course!). It was pretty fine too, though it's best if some tension can be put into it. One possible method there is to actually spring the support poles at the ends.

Exactly the reason I'm thinking of using it.
Making a sprung bow collector isn't a problem as I have lots of small springs salvaged from old cameras and things.
(When things cease working I tend to take them apart for anything useful!  :))

From tramway layouts I've seen a lot have shiny copper wire, possibly tinned, for the overhead.
The real thing ain't shiny so I'd probably look at chemically blackening it afterwards.
I'm gonna make my own style poles using a mold and cast them in resin.
I could draw and 3D print them but it gets expensive if I suddenly just need two more or suffer a breakage due to the postage!

I must admit that in all my years of modelling, I never really gave much thought to trams (although I did admire the work of the late and legendary P.D. Hancock of Craig and Mertonford fame). However, we have folk like Whiteswan and Balloon 726 with their trams  and now, of course Moogle.

I didn't know Whiteswan modelled trams...
As to other tramheads in NGF land, I think there are a few more of us! :toot:
(That includes trollyheads to use a term from across the pond.)
Come on, make yourselves known, even if its not in N that you model them.
You know you want to...  >:D
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Offline Oldman

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Grumpy old git who hates sport
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2013, 02:06:52 pm »
I did Japanese trams a few years ago , have also motorized a double deck Hong Kong Tram in Nn3.
Lawrence and Claude may know the subject (was on JNS Forum)
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Offline BernardTPM

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3490
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2013, 02:19:03 pm »
The tinned copper wire is a silverish colour, but not bright, more a matt silver grey so doesn't stand out too much. If I can find the piece I did I'll take a photo, assuming it's not fallen apart!  :D

The Hong Kong trams are 3' 6" gauge so suited to Nm, though the same type of tramcars also run in Birkenhead on standard gauge.
http://ukih.merchantrunglobal.com/ImageHosting/ViewImage.aspx?GlobalID=1003&MerchantID=3236&ImageID=6530&DisplaySize=400&ListingID=49966

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2013, 02:34:06 pm »

Count me in too..  :wave:

Not done much with trams in N gauge, but plenty in 4mm/ft  and 305mm/ft...

Offline moogle

• PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2013, 03:12:24 pm »
Welcome fellow tramheads!  :thumbsup:

The tinned copper wire is a silverish colour, but not bright, more a matt silver grey so doesn't stand out too much. If I can find the piece I did I'll take a photo, assuming it's not fallen apart!  :D

If you could that'd be great.  :thankyousign:
It would be a lot less work if I didn't have to blacken it!  :)

My Irish layout here

Offline BernardTPM

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2013, 04:52:41 pm »
Well, I found it; it wasn't in great shape, but I cleaned it and tried to put a bit of tension into parts of it:

The track is just old Peco code 80 Streamline with plasticard and Plastic Padding round the corner to see how well it embedded and the part built tram body was still in reasonable nick, so I got that in shot too. The overhead is 34swg Tinned copper as per the reel. Note the shine dulls over time.
The 3 inch nails are a bit crude, of course as well as overscale, but it was just a test. To keep the cross spans in tension I was going to have the 'proper' poles joined under the board with some kind of spring. That would keep it straight, so easier to solder a wire to. Similarly where the overhaed goes round a corner tensioning can be done from the outside corner that would also keep the contact wire tauter. Well, that was the theory! The hole in the pavement would effectively be the pivot for the poles.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2013, 09:39:25 pm »
That's a good photo, BernardTPM. I like your approach - that's a great little testbed where you are experimenting with various ideas at once. That reel of wire reminds me of a reel of NiCr (Nichrome) I have that I borrowed from work (I used to be a science teacher) but forgot to take back when I retired  :-[ which would be totally unsuitable for the job because of it's resistance and the fact it would get bloody hot with 12V across it!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline moogle

• PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2013, 08:52:07 am »
Well, I found it; it wasn't in great shape, but I cleaned it and tried to put a bit of tension into parts of it:

The track is just old Peco code 80 Streamline with plasticard and Plastic Padding round the corner to see how well it embedded and the part built tram body was still in reasonable nick, so I got that in shot too. The overhead is 34swg Tinned copper as per the reel. Note the shine dulls over time.
The 3 inch nails are a bit crude, of course as well as overscale, but it was just a test. To keep the cross spans in tension I was going to have the 'proper' poles joined under the board with some kind of spring. That would keep it straight, so easier to solder a wire to. Similarly where the overhaed goes round a corner tensioning can be done from the outside corner that would also keep the contact wire tauter. Well, that was the theory! The hole in the pavement would effectively be the pivot for the poles.

:thankyousign: Bernard. Thats really helpful. I'll look out for some of that wire as it seems to dull nicely!  8)

The tram body you have there, looks very much like a London E class tram if I'm not mistaken.  :thumbsup:
I could be wrong though...

Bealman, I think I'll give NiCr wire a miss for the overhead.
Though it could be useful along the front to deter fingers at exhibitions! >:D
As if I would...  :angel:

Found the style I want for the pier head extension part of the pier.
Its in the style of Gravesend's other pier:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barry_432/6342024728/#sizes/z/

So I've extended the legs up using card wrapped around a small dowel thats the same size as the pen parts used.
This had artists gummed paper wrapped around it and the top filled with air drying clay.
I'll post  :camera: when I've sanded them down.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:59:47 am by moogle »

My Irish layout here

Offline BernardTPM

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2013, 09:04:39 am »
The tram body you have there, looks very much like a London E class tram if I'm not mistaken.  :thumbsup:
I could be wrong though...
I can't remember what it was now, but not a London tram. I have a feeling it might be a Birmingham 4 wheeler as it's quite narrow. It was made started over 30 years ago! The ends are angled rather than rounded.

Offline moogle

• PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2013, 09:19:34 am »
Ah, well I couldn't quite tell from the pic so more of a guess really!
Done well to survive this long and I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps part made stuff for years...

My Irish layout here

Online Balloon_726

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2013, 11:14:55 pm »

Hmm that is a very interesting test there Bernard... you ever going to finish your scratch build?

Offline BernardTPM

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2013, 12:06:34 am »
I doubt it, but it does confirm my thoughts that clear 10 thou." plasticard can make a pretty strong structure if it has some folds in it.

Offline moogle

• PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2013, 11:46:20 am »
Small update.  :camera: of new pier legs for the pier head area.

Basically the pier deck will sit on top of the new legs/framework.
And yes that's Milliput around the bases and on top!

Second picture is a bit blurry  :sorrysign: but shows the leg spacing a bit better.

Must steady my hand or use the tripod next time!  :laugh:
I've added some cross beams now out of an odd bit of wooden U shaped beam I've had for ages.
Next step is to build up the esplanade wall and beach area.
Then to get some more paper clay to make the sea and waves.
Only once thats done and painted along with the pier structure can I add the decking and start on the top side.
I'm looking forward to that stage!  :)

My Irish layout here

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here