!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Faller 222127 glass station roof  (Read 6780 times)

Offline 1936ace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22564
    • Awards
Faller 222127 glass station roof
« on: January 20, 2013, 02:57:10 am »
Hi all I would like a glass covered station roof and was wondering if this would look ok on a "British" based station layout. Has anyone built this kit and if so was it hard to build.
Any other option or suggestions very much appreciated.
Bart

Offline martink

• N Gauge Society Number: 10410
    • PhotoBucket
    • Model Railway Musings
    • Awards
Re: Faller 222127 glass station roof
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 03:48:51 am »
I also took a look at the Faller product, but eventually chose to use the Peco OO kit instead.  It comes out quite well for a large roof - one kit works out to 20" x 7.5". 

It turned out to be a lot easier to build than I expected.  The main issues I found were:
- ensuring that you can easily remove it for access.  Each pillar has a pin on the end to allow it to be extended, so I removed all but six which then slot into holes in the platform.
- not getting paint or glue on the glazing pieces.  I used a black felt-tip permanent marker instead of paint for the glazing bars.
- painting before assembly (as recommended) proved more trouble than it was worth for the longitudinal girders - sliding the ribs onto the girders was such a tight fit that the paint was stripped off in the process.

Offline 1936ace

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 04:33:37 am »
Thanks for the advice and the amazing photo, so much easier to understand things then when in words. That is one amazing job you have done. What was to part number and how many tracks doesn't cover
Thanks bart

Offline martink

• PhotoBucket
    • Model Railway Musings
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 05:07:20 am »
Thanks for the compliment, although as I said it turned out to be a much easier job than I had expected. 

Anyway, the part number of the PECO kit is LK-20X, and it retails for about 18-20 pounds.  I use it to cover 4 tracks and a center platform, but that will depend on your station design.  The actual span is 185mm measured across the pillar centers.  The main visual drawback compared with the Faller kit is that there are no external canopies for the outer platforms - I plan to rig something up here when I do my next round of building construction.  It would, however, be just about perfect for somewhere like Bath Green Park. 

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 09:09:12 pm »
There are a couple of useful glues for that kind of work - Micro Krystal Klear is a pva like glue which dries clear (its while being put on but don't panic). It won't damage the plastic and any spots can be rubbed off. Humbrol clearfix is another option - its more of a plastic glue and harder to get off if spilled but it also dries clear so is good for that.

The other overall roof I can think of which is sort of UKish is the Scalescenes kit.

http://www.scalescenes.com/products/R005a-Large-Overall-Roof

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 09:18:37 pm »
I used the Faller one for my Claywell terminus station, hadn't fitted the side canopies when I took these pictures but is now fitted, see here for pics - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6570.msg74811#msg74811

Offline 1936ace

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 10:32:54 pm »
Hi Caz in your photo is that one kit or two joined together
Thanks bart

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 02:18:01 pm »
Hi Bart,

It's 2 kits joined together end to end, for the track span, it's 180mm between the centre of the uprights.

Offline mjspeed

• N Gauge Society Number: 16937
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 06:22:49 pm »
Thanks for the compliment, although as I said it turned out to be a much easier job than I had expected. 

Anyway, the part number of the PECO kit is LK-20X, and it retails for about 18-20 pounds.  I use it to cover 4 tracks and a center platform, but that will depend on your station design.  The actual span is 185mm measured across the pillar centers.  The main visual drawback compared with the Faller kit is that there are no external canopies for the outer platforms - I plan to rig something up here when I do my next round of building construction.  It would, however, be just about perfect for somewhere like Bath Green Park.

:photospleasesign:

Do you have any other pictures of the Peco kit on your layout please? I'm interested to see exactly how the 4mm scale roof compares against the 2mm rolling stock.

Thanks

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 07:44:32 pm »
I have seen a similar thing reproduced using the lids from Ferrero Rocher boxes, and the bous is you get to eat the choccies  ;)

Offline martink

• PhotoBucket
    • Model Railway Musings
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 01:23:30 am »
Do you have any other pictures of the Peco kit on your layout please? I'm interested to see exactly how the 4mm scale roof compares against the 2mm rolling stock.

There are a few others in my photobucket album (click the blue and white camera icon on the left under my userid).

Online GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 08:35:13 am »
I know this is an old thread but I'm thinking about using the Peco overall roof and this has been useful.

Looking at one of your photos at http://s1063.photobucket.com/user/mrmusings/media/DSCI0066.jpg.html?sort=3&o=164 I'm wondering if the pillars are too tall? Could they be shortend?

Offline Mainline

• N Gauge Society Number: 22693
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 08:29:23 pm »
Thanks Mick,  there was one at the show today for a fiver. I was told it would work. Bought it.
Cheers.
TT.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here