!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Blackening Shiny metal wheel rims  (Read 420 times)

Offline AndyGif

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14644
    • Awards
Blackening Shiny metal wheel rims
« on: January 03, 2013, 12:25:24 pm »
Hi guys, can someone confirm for me that the shiny metal rims on the older GF wheels are Nickel Silver or Steel.  Looking at getting some Blackening solution from probably C&L Finescales, but need to know what the metal is to get the correct solution.

I've sourced a 8 wheel tender chassis to go under my kit built crane at last!

Offline PLD

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
Re: Blackening Shiny metal wheel rims
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 08:42:54 am »
Hi guys, can someone confirm for me that the shiny metal rims on the older GF wheels are Nickel Silver or Steel.  Looking at getting some Blackening solution from probably C&L Finescales, but need to know what the metal is to get the correct solution.
I don't think steel has ever been used. The most common seem to be a brass casting with N/S plating.

I vaguely remember reading on another forum that someone tried to blacken a set of of these wheels and all he succeeded in doing was removing the thin layer of N/S...

Paul
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:18:34 am by PLD »

Offline Chinahand

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18337
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:09:28 am »
Bearing in mind that metal blacking chemicals are actually corrosive I would not recommend that you use them anywhere near your wheels.

I use a 'gunmetal blacking' pen that you can get from any gunsmith or field sports shop. This gives a shiny black 'oily' look but if I want a dull, dirty look then I just use a thin coat of matt enamel. Either 'Track Dirt' or 'Sleeper Grime' will give the required result.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)

Offline AndyGif

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14644
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:22:34 am »
cheers guys, will give the bottle chemicals a miss then.
paint or pen it is then..  Perhaps i'll get the sharpies out just to tone them down a bit.

its not like they need to pick up power, so paint causing insulation wont matter.

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:09:09 am »
As Chinahand  mentioned  i   bought a   Birchwood Casey   super  black   pen   after his recomendation  for   similar  purpose works fine  very pleased  with the results ;)

http://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/birchwood-casey-gun-blue-super-black-touch-up-pen/product/?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=organic
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:11:16 am by upnick »

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 03:28:30 pm »
Hello
I want to blacken the shiny tyres on my UM 0-6-0 wheelsets and also on some older GF locos. i was going to buy some Black-it (http://www.black-it.co.uk/html/process.html) but now i'm not sure if the shiny rims are made of the right metal to react with the blackening agent. Can anyone out there help?
Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with blackening? Since Dapol and GF now do it on all their locos, i was hoping it was an easy win to blacken the UM locos.
Best
Bob

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+44)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 05:00:07 pm »
Hello
I want to blacken the shiny tyres on my UM 0-6-0 wheelsets and also on some older GF locos. i was going to buy some Black-it (http://www.black-it.co.uk/html/process.html) but now i'm not sure if the shiny rims are made of the right metal to react with the blackening agent. Can anyone out there help?
Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with blackening?

I just paint the rims of the UM wheels, and give the valve gear a wash of thinned black paint e.g. mt D20:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/30905-union-mills-n-gauge-d20-superdetailed/

which has fully chemically blackened front bogie wheels (Farish) and painted UM wheels on the rest - to me not a lot of difference and far easier than trying to chemically blacken the UM ones.

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Above Goal: £19.00
Site Currency: GBP
135% 
July Donations

anything