!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Rapido Uncoupling  (Read 9233 times)

Offline elmo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Rapido Uncoupling
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 12:23:18 pm »
Instead of filing the buffer beam, file about half way through the coupler where it meets the buffer beam. This generally gives enough lift to clear the next coupler.

Offline Rod

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 01:50:44 pm »
I've managed to use magnets to uncouple:-
http://www.first4magnets.com/adhesive-magnets-31-c.asp

The 1mm dia one glues nicely to the bottom of the rapido and the 20mm x 5mm x 1.5mm stick nicely between the rails.

Oscar,

How did you hold the tiny magnets to stick them to the couplings? I must say I'm finding them impossible to work with.

Cheers

Rod

Offline H

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • grahamehedges
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 08:47:02 pm »
How did you hold the tiny magnets to stick them to the couplings? I must say I'm finding them impossible to work with.

Have you tried using plastic tweezers?

H.

Offline Rod

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 09:21:55 pm »
Thanks, I may try some but I'm leaving the magnets alone for now.
I've been testing out my own uncouplers (see link at start of topic) with some American stock, mostly Bachmann, and they seem to work well. There's one dodgy boxcar, make unknown, which won't uncouple - I think it's because the front V-shaped coupler bar is thicker than most and there's not enough clearance from the coupler attached to it so it "sticks" when coupling and uncoupling. It also has quite stiff springs - I removed one, which helped, but not a lot. At the risk of ruining it, I might try to shave a bit off the coupler bar.
The Bachmann American couplers, on the other hand, are quite free moving with plenty of play.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 03:30:18 pm »
I have now been operating my layout Tremierten using Gaugemaster uncoupling magnets and metal attachments for rapido style couplings and can report that overall, the system works reasonably well as long as you follow a few rules, these are:

when installing the uncoupling magnets, make sure that the pole piece is level with the tops of the sleepers, if not, extend it with a bit of steel rod until it is.

Also bear in mind that the actual coupling is not going to be where the pole piece is, but almost 10 mm away and the coupling that is to be activated (only one coupling moves at any one time) remains where it is whilst the vehicle(s) with the unactivated coupling is drawn away - this prevents the attachment digging into the ground, for this reason I do not convert the couplings on locos (they are usually too stiff to move far enough anyway).

Depending on how and what you wish to shunt, not all vehicles need to have both ends fitted with attachments, just ensure you know which is which when shunting!

you will need to find some way of marking the site of the uncoupling magnet poles, as once you paint them they will become almost invisible, especially when there are wagons parked on top! so place some kind of marker such as a loading gauge, crates, barrels or even people on platforms to aid you in lining up the vehicles to uncouple.

the Gaugemaster attachments will work on nearly all of the Rapido variations, i.e. Dapol, later Farish (not those older ones with the u bend instead of a spring), Peco (elsie or sprung) and even wagons with NEM pockets, indeed one of the disadvantages of sprung couplings, that you have to almost ram them to couple up, can be used to push uncoupled wagons down a siding having first uncoupled them over a magnet.

before converting a vehicle, check that the coupling will swing up far enough to clear another - I found that the coupling hook on the newer Farish Toads(brake vans) prevented the actual coupling from working, and so had to remove it, also I had to file a far bit out of the couplings on a Dapol Bset to allow them to work properly - Time spent making vehicle couplings work properly will pay dividends later.

Before applying attachments to couplings, anneal them by heating them to dull cherry red over a flame (I use an old cigarette lighter) because they are too brittle to bend straight from the packet - I broke half a fret before I hit on this idea, as no matter what vehicle you are converting, they will need to be bent to fit (see Gaugemasters own website for pictures).

I will not gloss over the time it has taken me to get this far, including all of the converting and adjustments and  I am still not finished yet, but maybe 1 in 20 shunting  movements now takes place using the big hand in the sky, which I reckon is acceptable, considering what I used to have to do.

Regards,

Alex
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 03:33:22 pm by Hailstone »

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 09:32:58 pm »
I've managed to use magnets to uncouple:-
http://www.first4magnets.com/adhesive-magnets-31-c.asp

Sticking the magnets to the couplings looks tricky. Have you considered electromagnets under the track for more selective Uncoupling........ works well for 00......anyone tried with N?

The 1mm dia one glues nicely to the bottom of the rapido and the 20mm x 5mm x 1.5mm stick nicely between the rails.

Only one coupling per truck/carriage and link them with magnet to non-magnet, otherwise both couplings go up and won't uncouple.

They're VERY strong and the 1mm ones are fiddly but a touch of araldite keeps them in place. The trickiest part is getting the polarity right!

Just pause over the magnet with a bit of slack in the rake and watch the coupling pop up. The tension of the 'pull' of the load stops uncoupling as you drive over the magnet. I don't know if sitting the loco over the magnet for any period of time would cause any harm to the motor, but I'm not going to try it! :smiley-laughing:

PS, they have smaller ones than the 20mm x 5mm ones  since I bought mine. Experiments called for!!!
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here