!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Scenecraft 42-070 Coaling Tower  (Read 2670 times)

Offline redtrain

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Scenecraft 42-070 Coaling Tower
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:46:43 pm »
Scenecraft 42-070 Coaling Tower - List price 74.95

Dimensions 138mm x 104mm x 175mm

This is a sizeable, expensive structure that requires a bit of attention to get the most out of. As coaling towers are used to replenish coal for steam engines this is going to be primarily something for those recreating steam eras. I don't, rather I want to use this as a coal loader in a coal mine setup. I know that this is prototypically dubious, but the only alternative for me would be a Walthers kit. As I managed to get this for a good price I went for it. 

First things first, it comes well packaged even by Scenecraft standards. The whole model comes in a large polystyrene box while all the individual bits are also separately packaged.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

So this is what you get. The main model and 11 bits to add. There are no instructions or any paperwork, but I suppose it is evident from the picture on the box how the model comes together.

What is not so good is that the supporting rods do not really go anywhere. They just rest on a ridge inside the structure. For a model in this price range I find that slightly unsatisfactory (perhaps I am missing something). Sure you are not going to move it around every 5 minutes, but it is thus more fragile than it needs to be. You could glue or tack the bits into place.

Once fully assembled it looks something like this. The finish is good and I am sure some figures would go a long way to making this come alive. It really does tower above the tracks.

This is how I intend to use it some day. Now I should add that those who are using KATO Unitrack might have a few problems with wagon heights. The Intermountain North American coal wagon will not for example fit under the centre while the Minitrix German wagon in the background will. So a few adjustments would be necessary depending on the rolling stock used. This should not really be a major issue.

Overall verdict - an impressive model to have, all the more so if you can find it on offer.

Offline port perran

• Awards
Re: Scenecraft 42-070 Coaling Tower
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 01:07:36 pm »
Looking forward to seeing it in situ in it's final location.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Bad Raven

• N Gauge Society Number: 7714
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 04:03:30 pm »
This is very helpful, so thanks..............I'm not far of building a steam MPD as otherwise the large engine collection I have will forever be banished to the storage box!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:05:30 pm by Bad Raven »
Dave

Offline tramp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:45:10 pm »
I've just bought this very set for exactly the same reason as you! I intend it to be a coal distribution silo in my mine scene, did you add this one to your layout? and how does it look? I thought I might have to add a feed conveyor to make it look more realistic. Thanks for your review I'm excited about this now, it looks like its exactly what I want!

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+29)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 10:15:36 pm »
Great review, thanks Red Train.

Offline redtrain

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 04:55:18 pm »
I've just bought this very set for exactly the same reason as you! I intend it to be a coal distribution silo in my mine scene, did you add this one to your layout? and how does it look?

As it happens I have been rather too busy this year so far to actually move it from the shelf to the track! But it still looks great.

I did think about how to make coaling tower more realistic as some sort of flood/distribution silo without having to build some sort of conveyor up to the top or something. There is no quick and easy way. The way I tend to use the tower, which slightly overcomes this problem is to have it situated in the corner of the layout, on the outermost loop perhaps, where you don't actually notice there is something missing.

Marcus

Offline tramp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 10:57:28 pm »
Mine came through the post today, your right its massive! it puts my Hampton Heath colliery headgear to shame! I think I might try and incorporate it into a retaining wall some how and have the colliery buildings located on the level above it so to not take the emphasis from them also if I do put a feed conveyor in I can run it into the ground and not have to make a long conveyor run, overall I'm pretty happy with it

Offline redtrain

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 09:21:24 am »
Tramp, that sounds good. I have most of the Hampton Heath colliery and and played around with it a bit. The size difference is considerable - which I suppose is only natural in real life - but visually it put me off a little from having it on the same level. Having two levels sounds good.

Marcus

Offline 47033

• N Gauge Society Number: 23722
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 06:08:28 pm »
It looks fantastic. I have the complete colliery package, although it'll be quite some time before I get to the stage where it's incorporated into my layout. I've been rolling several ideas around in my head, one of these to load up MGR trains. Or, front end loaders to load up rakes of old MDV coal wagons as were used at several Welsh pits.

This would look great especially with a figure or 2 and some heavy weathering with coal dust. I had better make a decision because it'll likely be out of production by the time I get to need it.

Offline 1936ace

• N Gauge Society Number: 22564
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 12:05:28 pm »
Hi all
Is this model available still anywhere for less then 64
Bart

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30