1966 Road Junction Markings

Started by geoffgil, October 31, 2018, 10:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Indeed. If I recall, there was a bit of a furore that the new signs were totally graphical, without words.

I particularly remember the slippery skid sign with the crossed road marks being under huge media scrutiny as a joke!

Fast forward to today, with most phone, tablet, and computer interfaces being graphical!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

kesdrive

It is correct that after worboys the next edition of the Highway Code was not published until 1968. By this time there would have been a mix of old and new signs. There were a few updates after 1968 particularly when decimalisation came in. I can't find the exact date that warning triangle painted on roads were introduced but I think that was one of the later updates. So if modelling 1966 I would not use this marking.
As a matter of interest there are still many pre-worboys signs still in use today. Not far from where I live is a cattle crossing sign which has the old cast iron triangle but with the modern cattle sign below it.

Chris

geoffgil

I have just looked at the 1960's road safety film as mentioned in another post by Gawain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS4XBrzq1Kw

After watching the film I wondered when it was made, The following shots were noted:
Road surface warning triangles at 14:14mins 16:45mins and 17:00mins in to the film. So they were clearly used when film was made. Now there is no date of filming, but it was noted that alot of the time they were using a MK1 Cortina with a C reg and about 8000 miles on the clock, so was fairly new. Now I checked the internet and C registrations were issued in  ;D1965.
So it looks as though triangles as road marking were starting to be used, but I am sure some "giveway" junctions did not have them.

What do other members think?

Snowwolflair

A lot of the footage is from around Windsor Datchet and Windsor Great Park area.

Jimmy77

There is a great series on youtube called Look at Life, quite a few 1950's / 1960's transport related mini-documentaries. The video quality is very good, and may help with road markings etc.

Cheers,

Jimmy

kesdrive

Thanks Geoffgil a very enlightening film. I stand to be corrected! It is indeed a Mark 1 Cortina of 1965 vintage. I did'nt pass my driving test until 1967 and do not remember the triangles on the road in my local area. That was 50 years ago so memory not what it might be!
The film clearly shows the triangle painted on the road but application of the 'modern sineage' may have taken a while to be implemented throughout the country.
:thankyousign:

Chris

joe cassidy

Thanks a lot Geoff.

Some lovely images of classic vehicles - I loved the beer tanker with the giant beer barrel.

Sad to see the e-type with dented wings getting a parking ticket.

Separating cars from pedestrians didn't work - look what they did to Birmingham city centre.

Was Cumbernauld where they filmed "Gregory's Girl" ?

Best regards,

Joe

Neil of Teesside

The main problem with the Highway Code, as suggested in other replies, is that it only shows you the markings a driver would be expected to see on the roads. The same is true of videos on YouTube.

If you want the details of how to set up the correct road markings you need to look at the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions for the period you are modelling. The first was published on 1st January 1965 (and gave the details of  how to layout the new road markings as created by the Worboys Committee of 1963). There are still plenty of the pre-Worboys road signs out there, but as far as I know all the corresponding road markings are long gone.

Neil of Teesside

Just watched this film. It was filmed sometime after 1967 as the roads have double yellow lines on them, which were first used in London during 1967.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations